Thread: Need help, and I'm not sure where to go to get it.

Need help, and I'm not sure where to go to get it.

OK, my situation is this: I was released from active duty due to physical injury in October 2009. I recently received a letter from the VA stating that in fiscal year 2010 I was attached to a reserve or guard unit, and that I was paid for 16 days of training pay. My family and I are currently living off of my VA benefits, supplemented by a bottom barrel job due to lack of jobs I'm able to do that don't screw with my injuries. The VA is stating that they're going to withhold my benefits to pay back my "drill training pay." I sent a written statement that I never received drill pay, and that I was discharged before fiscal year 2010.
    Their response is that I need a letter from my reserve unit commander stating as much, but every number I've called for the VA or from my old chain of command, nobody can tell me who I was supposedly attached to, or who to contact to rectify the situation.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Or anyone know what I can do, or who I can contact? I really don't want to have to explain to my wife and son that we have to stay with the in laws until we can get another place.

Roadhouse Groupee

Can't you contact a Veterans' organisation and ask them to take up your case, if necessary getting their lawyers onto it? In the UK there's a strong support structure for Veterans, some of them centred on this (excellent) website:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/forum.php

Someone's who's served their country and sustained injuries in the process, shouldn't face this sort of worry. It's just wrong.

Thanks Joey, if we have anything like that here, I'm not sure where I'd start looking, and my google fu seems to be failing. That's one of the reasons I thought I'd reach out on this board.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    See the Service Officer at your local VFW or American Legion Post. They will know who to see and what you have to do to get your records straightened out. You don't have to belong to the posts, they are there for every service member.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I know I disappeared, but I wanted to say thank you for the advice about the American Legion. They did get everything straightened out for me. Thanks again.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    You are welcome and I hoped you joined the American Legion. VFW, DAV, American Legion are just 3 of a fairly small number of groups actually trying to look out for veterans welfare.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.