Thread: 84S parts project. Need advice.

84S parts project. Need advice.

I have had an 84S receiver (solid stock) complete for quite a few years. The way it figures for me is that by the tiem I get the parts to build it I could have just bought another 84 S. I have about 20x30 round magazines and 10x10 round mags that have had the followers converted to hold 18 rounds.

Just bought a barrel with rear sight block today off of Gunbroker. I have the upper and lower hand guards but that's it. Where can I find the parts to finish it or should I just scrap it. Parts for the .223 are expensive and hard to find. Are their parts that can interchange between European and Chinese or am I stuck looking for Norinco parts. It doesn't matter so much if it's an abomination as long as it's functional and safe.

I need bolt, bolt carrier, recoil spring, dust cover, front sight base, gas block aswell as the lower hand guard retainer and muzzle brake.

I have head space gauges, hydraulic press and the ability to build so building it's not the problem it's the locating of parts.

Any idea on what I should or could do to get it running on the cheap.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Good luck trying to find a pre-ban 84S sight and gas block. They are nearly impossible to come by. You might be able to get by with the MAK-90 parts which will give you a functional rifle but not the ability to install an evil bayo or cleaning rod.

Barrel diameters vary between European and Chinese. I do know that the Poly Tech Legend barrels are roughly the same O.D. as the Bulgarian, making the use of gas and sight blocks possible. Not sure where to find stuff for the 84S though.

You might check Apex for some parts, but I have just found a place called Desert Fox Outfitters that has many AK parts. I have not used them and therefore cannot vouch for their integrity, but the last time I checked them they did have some hard to find parts.

When you get your 84S barrel, obviously measure the area for the gas and sight blocks, then contact the people listing any available gas and sight blocks and find out what the I.D. of the parts are. I have used parts that measure a .002 interference with no problems. Usually I hit the barrel with sand paper to try to get off a bit if needed. Since you have a press you are ahead of the game.

I have also installed true 84S gas and sight blocks that measured .002 over the barrel using loc-tite designed for cylinders that have loose fits. By the time I used the loc-tite and installed the cross pins, the blocks weren't going anywhere. (Don't ask where I got the parts as it was many years ago. )

Nut, are you saying that there are differences in barrel diameters between the Polys and Norinco. It was my understanding that they were almost universal with the only difference being that the Poly parts were more expensive. I have heard that the Galil bolts in .223 would work and also that the bolt carriers were the same for .223 and 7.62

Was thinking about bidding on a demilled 7.62 kit on Gunbroker which would give me about 80 percent of the parts I need if the 7.62 parts will fit the .223 i.e. bolt carrier, safety, FCG, dust cover, recoil spring, HG retainer, front site, gas block. Am I wrong in my thinking. Most of the folks with the stuff I need don't have a micrometer.

I was talking specifically about the Legend barrel as I have restored the milled MAK-90 which was a Legend before Bush1 had his evil looks fit. Found that the Bulgarian parts fit.

I believe you are right about the bolt carriers. I don't see why you couldn't do what you suggest, building an 84S using parts from a 56S donor. Using the bolt and barrel from the 84S should be all you need to add to your already 84S specific receiver to build the rifle.

Sounds like a very interesting idea that should produce a nice rifle.

About the only measurement tool that I use very often is a quality Vernier Caliper. They can be had pretty inexpensively and come in handy when assembling various parts.

Good luck with your build. As I said it sound interesting and some pictures taken before, during and after would be nice.

Thanks for the advice. We can always count on you for sound direction. I really do appreciate it and will make a point of taking some pics.

On a side note the receiver started out as a $700 NIB 84S but the receiver is all that remained after Gary Gucciano got finished with it. It's what the KAG sent me a few years back.

Brings a tear to the eye doesn't it.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Take lots of pics jojo

Well I finally got the 84S together and did a function test this evening. It fired good but didn't put it on paper yet. Took a few pics with my phone when I finished. Will try to post some assembly photos when I get my camera back from my kid

What a trip finding the parts to complete it. I figure I got another $400 in the damn thing now. I now have enough parts to build another rifle if I had another receiver.

Last edited by jojo; 10-04-2011 at 09:41 PM.

That looks great!!! You just might have one of the few, if not only 84S with an underfolding bayo!!!

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Damn jo, that's a nice looking rifle! Congrats!

Thumbs up

Very nice!!!!
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-07-2011 at 05:08 PM.

jojo, could you pm me if you have a bakelite black lower hand guard for sale for the 84s?

Not as scientific as many of you do at the range but a friend and I went to the range and fired the Zastava M95, the 84S that I parted together a few months ago and a couple M1A's. It was cold as the dickens and we really didn't have time to concentrate on any specific weapon that I brought as we got a late, their were people at the range and my friend was trying to get a hunting rifle sighted in.

I did get him to fire a couple of off hand 10 round strings at the targets with each rifle. The 84S is the target on the left and the Zastava is the one on the right. Not sure what the targets were designed for as they were way smaller than full silhouette.

Nice looking "table-o-rifles"!!!

The important thing is that 84S is again a real rifle and not a bag of parts. It has a nice Poly Tech look with the underfolding bayo and the checkered pistol grip!

Love the wood on that scoped M1, really rich looking!!!