Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Army 1860s and Remington 1858s on sale for $169!!!!!

Colt Army 1860s and Remington 1858s on sale for $169!!!!!

Cabelas has a $20 coupon running atm for orders over $150 until 9/6/201. You can find the link at the top of the page.

They also have there Pietta black powder pistols on sale.

The

1860 Army Colt

and

1858 New Army Remington

are on sale for $189. Add the coupon and they are $169, I used in store pickup to avoid shipping cost and bought another 1858.

For those who do not know these replicas are awesome, I have several.

My thread on the 1860
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...ot-a-1860-Colt

My thread on the 1858
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?650

Nice pistols indeed for the price.

I have one of each and yes, that's a great price for these. The Remmie is much more practical in its features, but I don't think there was EVER a pistol made, before or after, that handles as well as the 1860 Colt. If I didn't have 'em already, I'd right on top of this.
    Last edited by Sergis Bauer; 09-03-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Good deal! Picked up a Remington a couple of years ago (a steal at $100 shipped) and love it. Everyone should have at least one C&B revolver.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Okay, who has a good deal on a holster for one of the 1858's?
    Returns June 3rd.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The Remington is a much stronger pistol design. The frame incircles the cyclinder. Colts will shoot loose over time, the Remington will not.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just thought I'd add that you can get a conversion kit (Kirst) for the Pieta 1858 44 cal from Buffalo Arms ( http://www.buffaloarms.com ) for $274 - this is for the firing pin/loading gate ring and cylinder. Basically turns your 1858 into a 45 Colt cartridge conversion revolver.

$169+$274 - not too bad a price for a non-registered cartridge firing revolver - not to mention how cool they are.

You do have to use your dremel to remove a little metal to make a clearance for the loading gate area... but it's a piece of cake.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 09-03-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: to fix the linky
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Okay, who has a good deal on a holster for one of the 1858's?
    Well, Cabelas sells the flap holsters for them at a very reasonable price. Also check http://www.buffaloarms.com and http://www.dixiegunworks.com

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

Should I get the starter kit?

Well I've always wanted a C&B so I think I'll order the Remington 1858 with an extra cylinder.
    This will be my first black powder pistol so is it worth the extra money to get the starter kit or should I just buy the stuff separately? It's $190 vs $270 as a starter kit. I hope this isn't like the AK's where I end up getting addicted to them...

Buy the kit separately - they didn't put the "with starter kit" price on sale.... for some reason. And it's 170 vs 270...

You need: a box of caps, a box of balls (.454"), a tube of bore butter and a pound of fffg or equivalent (like Pyrodex P)

You may also want a cap holder/placer thing - used to put the caps on the nipples.

It might add up to $100... maybe the "with kit" isn't such a bad deal... been a long time since I needed any kit.

I would price it out separately and see...

O.S.O.K. has a good list. I would only add that:

1) I wouldn't waste the money on the capper thingy... I got one as part of a deal, tried it once, and it was a bigger PITA than it was worth. Unless you have giant stubby fingers, you'll have an easier go of it just putting them on by hand.

2) You might want to get some .454 balls, and some .451. Some pistols like one or the other better, and there's no real way to tell until you buy them and shoot them. Balls aren't terribly pricey, so not much lost on the balls that don't perform as well (and you'll shoot through them anyway, you'll just know what to buy next time). Also, experiment with different combinations of powder load and ball diameter-- the biggest load is not always the best.

3) Bore butter is great, but a lot of people make their own recipe of beeswax and Crisco. Often I've just used Crisco on its own and never had any problems, and it is a fraction of the price.

Have fun, BP shooting is a world unto itself, and something everyone should try at least once.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Just thought I'd add that you can get a conversion kit (Kirst) for the Pieta 1858 44 cal from Buffalo Arms ( http://www.buffaloarms.com ) for $274 - this is for the firing pin/loading gate ring and cylinder. Basically turns your 1858 into a 45 Colt cartridge conversion revolver.

$169+$274 - not too bad a price for a non-registered cartridge firing revolver - not to mention how cool they are.

You do have to use your dremel to remove a little metal to make a clearance for the loading gate area... but it's a piece of cake.
    Interesting, plus I don't know many people or animals either who would laugh off getting hit with a couple 45 Colt slugs.
    Returns June 3rd.

Well, keep in mind they say "cowboy loads" which is like 230 grain lead bullets at 800 fps... sound familiar? Yep, basically, you need to keep it "down" to 45 ACP level.

Would make a damned good night stand gun - or car gun for that matter.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Another item well worth the money is a nipple wrench that fits the nipples of your particular gun. They, usually, run about $15 max.

I'm a big fan of treated, over-powder wads. They won't melt in a hot car and run all over the cylinder or in the holster. I use Crisco as a cylinder sealer when I am going to be shooting it immediately. Cheap, prevents chain fires, and it lubes the ball going down the barrel.

BP shooting is great fun!

Even with C&B, these things are deadly weapons... remember that they killed hundreds or thousands in the War Between the States. A quote from "44 Cap & Ball Revolver" by Jim Taylor:

"I once saw a man shot with an 1860 Army .44. The ball took him in the lower stomach and went clean through. It bounced off the kitchen table, went through a cupboard door and stopped in a loaf of bread where we found it later. The man dropped immediately. They got him to the hospital in time to save him but he was down for a long time. I do not know if he ever fully recovered."

The biggest problem with a C&B load is reliability, and of course reload time. The first is solved with the conversion cylinder, the latter, not really.
    Last edited by Sergis Bauer; 09-04-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

They are as reliable as any percussion weapon of the era. Keept it dry, make sure the cap doesn't fall off and it will go off every time. Not really that hard a thing to accomplish.

BTW, I shot competition with muzzle loading rifles from the time I was 17 to 37 years of age. I never had a bad cap using RWS brand caps in those 20 years. I would shoot a couple thousand rounds every year, so close to if not 40,000 rounds of black powder percussion cap rifle and revolver rounds.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 09-04-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

The starter kit is on sale for $60 but I've decided to use Pyrodex P so the flask and powder measure is not needed. The nipple wrench they include in the starter kit had some mediocre reviews as well.
    I'll run by Walmart before ordering to see what they have for BP shooting, they have stuff but I've never looked at it. I'm hoping to find the caps and pyrodex locally to save on the hazmat fees.

Only problems I've had with ignition is with undersized caps for the given nipples - they should be #10 for revolvers but some are better with #11's which are normally for rifles.

get some grits or crisco too
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I generally use Pyrodex P with an ox-yoke lubed wonder wad over the charge and the ball over that and get very good accuracy and the gun stays very clean through the shooting session.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast