View Poll Results: What are your thoughts?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it.

7 53.85%
  • Keep it for another year or so and see what happens.

4 30.77%
  • Sell it to get others.

2 15.38%
  • Other. Please explain.

0 0%

Thread: What are your thoughts?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

What are your thoughts?

I've been having thoughts of selling my unfired ACR. My reasons for said thoughts are that Bushmaster is taking its sweet-ass time getting caliber kits out (not interested in 6.8 SPC currently, but would be all over a 5.45 or 7.62x39 kit, even 6.5 Grendel for longer range thump) and with prices dropping and deals being easier to find I wonder if I could build a few uppers myself (or buy, even a piston upper thrown in to try) and still save money, especially with scoring on Palmetto State Armory's deal on mil-spec lowers last week....more bang for my buck as it were .

If Bushmaster would just get a fire lit under their rears. I even emailed them a couple weeks ago asking a rough rough idea when conversions could possibly be released; no response yet. I have no issues with the rifle whatsoever; as far as I can tell it's well built and has a lot of potential. A bud of mine bought one for his first rifle and I was there to see him fire the first shots; no issues whatsoever. I've kinda become the unofficial "go-to" guy on firearms at work, which I'm flattered to be and help out the best I can, but tough to get opinions when I have a need for an opinion, so that's where you guys come in.

So what are your thoughts? Any angles I may be missing? Like I said, not bashing the rifle, just most bang for the buck.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Why did you buy it and why is it "unfired"? And yet you want conversion kits?

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    I have bought and sold many brand new small arms without ever firing a single round through 'em......I thought that was normal?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    I bought it because I like the concept of several calibers being used through one "system" with just a barrel, bolt, and mag swap; get x39 kits (either caliber) for cheap shooting, plinking, etc. and 5.56 or whatever for more accurate shooting. It's unfired because I haven't fired it.....ok it technically was fired by Bushmaster for function check. So it has been fired by factory, not by me...cuz I haven't had time to shoot it since I got it. And yes, I want conversion kits if for no other reason to save space; use same lower/chassis and just swap barrel, bolt, mag to fire a different caliber.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I voted to keep it, simply because I don't like getting rid of any firearm I have. They don't eat, drink, bark, meow, or mess in the house. The "perfect" pet, so to speak.

And, if I want to shoot it, I can.

Now, if I could get another gun in its place (as in trade), then that's different. It would depend on how badly I wanted the other gun.

But, this is what I would do. You might have a different perspective.

Good point alismith. Didn't think about a trade. I am in the market for a .308 AR.....

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Ar-10's are dime a dozen really.(well....if it's really big dimes) Go to academy and they have racks of them. I'd keep the acr. Much more unusual and probably worth more in the long run.

Keep it. I have NEVER sold a firearm without REGRETS, never. The reason never matters, their like children. Their dirty,expensive and time consuming but, their also a blast (no pun intended) worth every penny and i love each and every one of them.

I have a SCAR I rarely shoot (mine is shot) but I understand the feeling, an expensive rifle you seldom use represents a good chunk of money just sitting there. In the end I think once bought they take so little so I'd hang on to it.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I've regretted the few guns I've ever sold, but plan to put my 1941 Johnson rifle up for sale soon to partially pay for a bigger toy I won on gov't liquidation.

And I will regret selling that when in ten years they'll be going for 10 grand the way they are jumping up in price.

Besides, you live in ILL, it probably will be outlawed in a few years with grandfathered exceptions... wouldn't surprise me if my hyperbole wasn't true.....
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 09-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I didn't vote because I don't have enough information on these to feel that I can help your decision intellegently....

If these are selling well and look like a long-term viable model then I would tend to say keep it and by all means get out and shoot it

I would think that the caliber kits will be forthecoming especially if they are selling well - just silly not to cash in on the easy sale.

Then again, Bushmaster is owned by the same holding group as Marlin....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~