Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's got a blade on order?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Should have my Bucks from the auction a little later this afternoon. In the mean time I picked this Benchmade 610 Blackwood Rukus up at lunch yesterday. (sorry for the crappy photo).

These have been discontinued for a while now and have been increasing in price pretty quickly and significantly. I've got an identical though slighly smaller version (BM 615) but have been looking for one of the larger 610's for a couple of years.

Ran across this one in a local gun shop in one of their non-gun display cabinets way over on one side of the shop. Don't know how long it had been sitting there but it was a little dirty and dusty.

Cleaned up very nicely. The 610 Rukus has the Axis lock which I love and at 4.25" of S30v steel it's not a small knife. Right around 10" overall.

While it's not one that I'll carry much if at all it's a beautifully made knife and now I have both models of this particual version. If you run across either the 610 or 615 check them out. You may like them.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Gotta love S30v steel. Nice lookin knife there.

Nice, blade...I need a new bench made soon...
    AKA "Rampantscot"

Thumbs up

Got my Buck 110's from an online auction yesterday and spent the evening with the Dremel polishing and buffing. Pretty pleased with my purchases.

One is a Limited Edition, Wild Turkey, (#51 of 500) with gold orum etched blade. Came with factory LE box and wooden (oak?) wall display stand. It's a four dot so I know it's from between 1981-86 but will have to do some more research to try and get it down to an actual year of manufacture. Very pretty Buck.

One is a Buck Custom damascus blade with elk scales. Love this one. It date to 1989.

The last one is a pretty standard 110 with cherry wood scales that dates to 1994 so even though it's the newest one it's still 17 years old.

Will try and post some decent photos at least by the weekend.

Also have another 110 arriving today. It's an Smokey Mountain Knife Works Exclusive with bone scales. It'll be my first Buck with bone so I'm hoping it's as nice looking as the photos I've seen. Love those 110's.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 05-18-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thumbs up

Let's see. This week it's all Buck again. Sportsmans Warehouse had their Buck folding Alpha Hunter with 154CM blade and rosewood scales on clearance and I had a $25 gift card so that one, actually their last one shoudl be here tomorrow.

Got a heads up that Buck had new Web Specials posted today so ordered some rather limited and special build outs. Inbound are a brass bolstered 110 with partially serrated ATS-34 blade and Buck Custom stamp. A 500 Duke, also with ATS-34 blade, nickle bolsters and rosewood scales and lastly a 192 Vanguard again with ATS-34 steel, nickle guard and butt with charcoal Dymondwood handle.

Guess I couldn't resist ATS-34 and or rosewood this time around. Man do I ever need to get to taking some pictures.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 05-26-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Well I got the folding Alpha Hunter on Friday. First the good. This knife is built like a tank. While they really aren't simliar at all it does remind me of the old Buck Strider 880 collaboration in that it's really substantial in manufacture. Pretty weighty with lots of steel in the frame.

The liner lock is a little on the thin side, especially compared to the Buck Strider but it locks tight with no blade play and should hold up well for most field duty. Maybe not enough blade for cracking a deer pelvis or disarticulating leg joints but for skinning and other field dressing chores as well as EDC I think it'll be a nice one.

The rosewood scales are nicely figured and give it a good, hand filling feel. Blade came nicely sharpened with a good edge edge grind. After a few minutes on my Sharpmaker it shaves well and will S cut paper quite smoothly.

The bad.

Sportsmans advertised this model as having 154CM steel. When it arrived the Buck factory box had the 154CM/BOS decal but the knife is marked 12C27M. I know Buck switched to this steel late last year or early this year but I really wanted 154CM and based on the fact that SW was putting these on clearance, (figured they were moving out the old steel model) and the fact that their website said it had 154CM that's what I expected to get.

Emailed SW customer service and told them their website needed updated and I didn't get what I ordered. In their defense they did apologize, promised to update the website and offered to pay return shipping on the knife and refund my money which I thought was about all they could really do.

I've decided to keep the knife as I do like it plus I used a gift card for part of the purchase and figured getting the gift card reinstated AND getting my CC refunded might run into issues. Still a great knife and not a bad steel. Just the principal really since I felt mislead.

One thing I did think was funny was their admission that Buck changed to the new steel for 2011. Ok, fine. So you knew the steel had changed yet after almost six months you're still not listing it correctly? Makes me a little leery about what else they might have listed wrong on their site.

Anyway, the steel screwup aside it's a very nide addition to my collection and will probably get some carry time down the road. Oh, the sheath is a nice leather burgundy model. Looks good and secures the knife well. The only issue I have is that the knife can only go in one way and to me at least it seems to present the knife more for a lefty than a righty. By that I mean when you open the top flap the thumb studs are to the rear when it's on my right hip. For a lefty they would face to the front which is how I want them to be. Guess it's just the way it's designed as I'm not aware of Buck making a left handed sheath though their website does show the knife and sheath on the left side of the model.

Overall a nice knife and one I would recommend you try out if you get the chance.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Ordered three new ones yesterday as a Father's day gift for myself. Looking at two collector Bucks next weekend that might pull down a fairly steep tariff so bearing that in mind I just ordered a few inexpensive models that I'd been meaning to try out.

1. Cold Steel American Lawman

http://www.coldsteel.com/americanlawman.html

This will be my first Cold Steel model as well as my first knife in AUS-8A. I've read some good reviews on the knife overall and the Triad lock is supposed to be a good one.
    The place I ordered all three from (knifeworks) shows the older model Lawman in it's ad so I don't know if that's what I'm getting or the newer one. Main difference is the newer one lacks the steel liner so it weighs a little less. Don't really care which so I guess a surprise is a surprise.

2. Becker Eskabar

http://www.knifeworks.com/kabarbeckereseeeskabar.aspx

While I've looked at the various "Neckers" I've never bought one. Was looking at the "Becker Necker" and others when I noticed this one. Not quite as thick as others but I liked the 30 degree inclusive bevel and the full flat grind.

There are known issues with dulling when inserting the blade into the sheath but that's probably a trade off with most of these type of knives that use a tight fit in a Kydex sheath as part of the retention.

We'll see how I like it when it arrives. I've got other Becker and Kabar products so I don't expect this one to disappoint me.

3. SVORD Peasant knife

http://www.knifeworks.com/svordpeasa...enehandle.aspx

What can I say. It's orange, its high carbon, it's less than $14 and the design is so simple a caveman could use it. Been looking at these for awhile and for the most part was just waiting until I'd decided on some other items to add to the order. Couldn't see paying $7 to ship a $14 knife on it's own.

Plan on making this one my junk drawer knife. Should be great for opening packages in the kitchen, trimming/cutting flowers on the back patio, etc.

Hope to post some pics later this week when the shipment arrives.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up Got a wild hair

After ordering the Becker Eskabar on Saturday I was looking at Buck's website and since I had a coupon I decided to order the Mayo Kaala.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3566

Went from no neckers to two in two days! Really like the Mayo line of knives and love S30v so I should be pleased plus at 50% off and free shipping I did well on the price. Now I have to figure out how to cord wrap the handles on these two?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Preordered a Chris Reeve Umnumzaan this weekend. My wife and I will be celebrating out 28th anniversay next month so I decided to get myself a little gift and take the shopping burden off her shoulders.

http://chrisreeve.com/umnumzaan.htm

Having carried a large Sebenza 21 for a few years I'm already familiar and quite pleased with CRK's product and the Zaan seems like a nice step up from the Sebenza.

Rumor has it that they are going to be making them with S35VN steel (the Sebenza already is) rather than S30V so I'm hoping my preorder will come with that steel. Even if it doesn't the S30V from CRK is damn nice and I'll still be very pleased, I'm sure.

There has also been a recent price increase in CRK product. Found my preorder at the Knife Center at the old price ($400 vis $425) with free shipping so that kind of made the decision to finally order one a no brainer.

Pics and review when ever it arrives.

Update. After two months of waiting I decided to cancel my order and get something else that was available without the wait. Guess this one will go back on the short list for now.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 01-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Been wanting a Hinderer for a few years but the cost always kept me at bay or there were none to be had. With this new collaboration I think I'll be getting about what I've been wanting for a lot less coin.

http://www.knifeworks.com/zerotolera...darkearth.aspx

Preordered mine yesterday (it will have black G10 unlike the knife in the photo). The next six months or so are sure gonna go by slow.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Well let's see ordered 6-7 of the Chinese made folders I've been hearing so much about from Navy, Gonzo, Enlan, Sanrenmu and Bee. Some look to be clones or copies of some American made models but not fakes as they aren't trying to pass them off as anything but what they are which is bargain priced knives, that seem for the most part to be pretty decent values.

Might not have them for a few weeks as they just left Hong Kong. Eight different models for under $100 delivered. I'll try my best to post some pics and reviews on them when they get here.

Also on the way is a Kershaw Speed Bump, Model 1595. They are out of production but Kershaw had some left over parts and did a run of them, 1423 pieces to be exact strictly for Amazon using Black G-10 scales and Sandvik 14c28n blades. Didn't have a Speed Bump in the collection and for $39.99 delivered I figured why not?

Might have a customized Buck 119 coming my way but won't know until tomorrow, auction on the BCCI website.

Still waiting on the CRK Umuzaan to come off back order and of course the ZT/Hinder piece is still months and months away but really looking forward to getting both of those.

Picked up a couple more pawn shop Bucks but since those are already here I'll save those for another thread. Anyone else got anything on order?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

*drool* Kershaw makes a Leek with G10 scales and S30V steel..... Must resist....

Thumbs up

Decided to use my discounts last night (BCCI members get two knives per year 50% off from the Buck website) and ordered a Buck 110 Chariman series and a Vantage Pro.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3950

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3653

As a 110 collector the Chairman 110 was a given. The Vantage Pro is one I used to own but sold to a friend. After seeing him use it on an almost a daily basis and hearing how much he loves it I decided that even though I have the smaller version I needed to get another full size back in my pocket.

Anyone else got a blade on order?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Ordered a Kershaw Junk Yard Dog 2 composite blade earlier today. Real excited about it, I've been needing a better EDC for some time now, my Remy F.A.S.T is getting worn out.

On a side note also ordered a VTAC sling, I hear they're pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Ordered a Kershaw Junk Yard Dog 2 composite blade earlier today. Real excited about it, I've been needing a better EDC for some time now, my Remy F.A.S.T is getting worn out.

On a side note also ordered a VTAC sling, I hear they're pretty good.
    Excellent. I hope you like it as much as I like mine. Please post when you get it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I shall, thanks again for the reference. From what ive seen ill really like the flipper device on it, looks pretty smooth on the videos ive watched.
    Last edited by Solidus-snake; 09-07-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Question

Oh, if you don't mind my asking, where did you end up ordering your JYD II from?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Happened to check out Buck's Web Specials today and saw a few new ones that caught my eye.

Decided to pop for this 192 Vanguard with mirror polished blade, brass and stag handle

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=4007

this sweet little Gen 5 skinner in nickle and bone

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=4004

and lastly this 102 Woodsman in with orangwood handle

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=4005

Love these Web Specials!
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Couldn't resist this one.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/para-mi...exclusive.aspx

Orange scales and CTS-XHP steel and a 800 pcs dealer exclusive run were just too much for me to pass up. Love my orange Spydercos and the Para 2 is da bomb!
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Damn this thread opened an old wound. Sitting in my stand back in early October looking for squirrels, got my JYD2 out to cut a piece of paracord I was tying a branch up out of the way with and it slipped out of my hand and fell to the ground with a "ting" sound...

Wasnt having much luck anyways so I crawled down out of the stand. There she was a foot away from a few rocks at the base of the tree... with the frikking tip chipped off allong the edge of the composite piece! All I can guess is that the tip somehow wedged in a crack and the fall impact did the rest. Unlikely but its all I can figure out...

Either way, I was so bummed out about it and still am. So she now resides in my bugout bag as a skinner/ meat cutting knife.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast