Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's got a blade on order?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Can you post a pic of it? Kershaw might be able to reprofile the blade and give you back some of what you lost, so to speak.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Can you post a pic of it? Kershaw might be able to reprofile the blade and give you back some of what you lost, so to speak.
    Remember I got it from that one-whaterver-his-name-is Kershaw Guy that sells the factory seconds? So I dont think anything can be done about it since its a second.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Remember I got it from that one-whaterver-his-name-is Kershaw Guy that sells the factory seconds? So I dont think anything can be done about it since its a second.
    That's true as far as warranty repairs go but they might reblade it or reprofile the blade for a reasonable fee. An email to Kershaw might not hurt. I know the blades are very different but as I recall Buck will reblade a 110 for around $8-$10 which includes return shipping. Kershaw might offer something similar.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Sweet, ill be looking into that. Thanks Richard

Well let's see. It's been a while but I've got a few more that I'm waiting on. The ZT/Hinderer Collaboration 0560 is getting pretty close to shipping, gosh has it really been five months? Hoping to see it sometime in February.

http://www.knifeworks.com/zerotolera...darkearth.aspx

Ordered another Spyderco Military. This one is a Knifeworks exlcusive with carbon fiber and M390 steel. Should go nicely with the one I have in M4 steel and carbon fiber. Couple of months yet for this one.

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercom3...positonly.aspx

Don't have a link or a handy photo but placed an order yesterday for a new Buck 124 Frontiersman. Buck has pretty much discontinued these some time ago but is coming out with a new Limited Edition offering with black micarta scales. Should go nicely with this one in maroon micarta I picked up last year.

Prices for these on the secondary market are getting pretty steep. My my standing in the BCCI this new one will only run me about $100 so I'm pretty jazzed about it. I guess that's about it for the moment unless something else catches my eye.

Picked up the latest edition of Blade Magazine on Saturday and some of the custom models, Kirby Lambert folders in particular caught my eye. Thinking I'll have to check out his work. Always something to spend money on I guess.

So who else has something on order?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I'll play. I have a Becker/Ka-Bar BK2 on order, a Himilayan Imports M43 Khukuri on order, and a Khukuri House Thamel Improved WWI Khukuri on order. I was sold when I saw one of the Gunsnet group buy Khukuris in action in Calvert, back in the day. Never got one then, was not in on the order. But finally I will have one and can't wait. Also, add a Mora cheapie, got one of those on order to toss in the toolbox. Mora knives rock.
    Ezra - Houston Tx
    Old cranky member since 1999

I dont have it on order yet but im about to place a backorder for this knife, a Benchmade SOCP.

Also I am debating between 2 knives at the moment to ask for from the wife for my birthday. I am wanting either a:

Ka-Bar ZK War Sword

and a Benchmade Nimravus

The Ka-Bar is more blade for a third the price, but the Benchmade looks to be of better quality. Which would you go for?

I'd get the KaBar and the SOCP . That's about the best price I've seen on the KaBar. What are you looking at on the SOCP price wise? Knifeworks.com (with the discount code BR549) has it for just under $91 shipped.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I'd get the KaBar and the SOCP . That's about the best price I've seen on the KaBar. What are you looking at on the SOCP price wise? Knifeworks.com (with the discount code BR549) has it for just under $91 shipped.
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm looking at LA police gear, they have it for $73 and free shipping. I think your looking at the knife/ trainer combo.

Should be getting my SOCP today, im stoked!

If I get the time ill do some pics and a mini review.

Got my BK2 in, one of the beefiest and most practical fix blades I now own. Awesome. Spine is a quarter inch thick, hefty, huge but not too huge, and quality KA-BAR steel. Love it. I have yet to strip it, polish, add different scales and all that syuff people do to their BK2s, and probably wont. I like the simple approach.

So impressed with this knife that I have a KaBar-Becker BK7 on order.
    Ezra - Houston Tx
    Old cranky member since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Coli View Post
    Got my BK2 in, one of the beefiest and most practical fix blades I now own. Awesome. Spine is a quarter inch thick, hefty, huge but not too huge, and quality KA-BAR steel. Love it. I have yet to strip it, polish, add different scales and all that syuff people do to their BK2s, and probably wont. I like the simple approach.

So impressed with this knife that I have a KaBar-Becker BK7 on order.
    Congrats! I've had mine for a couple of years and like it a lot. A BK7 or maybe a BK9. Becker makes some great, hard use knives.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Congrats! I've had mine for a couple of years and like it a lot. A BK7 or maybe a BK9. Becker makes some great, hard use knives.
    Crazy, I just added this knife to my list yesterday before I seen this posted. Looks like a stout blade.

Thumbs up

Popped for this one today.

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade62bali-song.aspx

Love my BM42 and though this one is stainless instead of titanium it should be pretty nice.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Aha, I love Balisongs, n that looks like a good one. Care to review it when you get it?

Aha, I love Balisongs, n that looks like a good one. Care to review it when you get it?
    Provided I can still type afterwards, yes!

So far I'm unscathed when it comes to flipping but I know the day will come when I get it good from one of my babies.

I'm not as addicted to the Balisongs as I am some other styles but I have a few.

BM42
    BM51
    Bardley Kimura II & III
    Spyderco Rainbow Spyderfly
    Spyderco Smallfly with Trainer

A Benchmade 53 is also on my shortlist

The only close call I've had involved my Jack Russell terrier. Was flipping my BM42 one day seated at the desk in the den and out of no where Jimmy jumps up and tried to grab the knife.

Evidently he had been sitting behind me and to the side, watching me flip it and figured it was a toy he wanted to play with too. Really startled me but luckily he only got hit by the safe side of the blade. Now I make sure he's not in the same room or just use one of my trainers.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 01-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Picked this model up off ebay last night

http://www.kershawguy.com/products-p...d-wild-turkey/

I'm a fan of ATS-34 steel and Kershaw in general. Only paid $68 so I saved a few bucks over ordering it from the link above though Kershaw guy was also the seller on ebay. Been wanting one of these but all the auctions always ended uo going for more than the knife costs on his website. Got lucky last night.

With a little over 3" of blade and titanium scales she should make a great little EDC. Kershaw only made this model for one year so if I like it I might try and win another one and keep it NIB for later as either a back up/safe queen.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

The little Kershaw was waiting for me when I got home last night. Supposed to be standard mail from Oregon so I was surprised and very happy it arrived so soon. Don't have a camera at the moment but it's exactly as pictured in the link above.

It came shaving sharp and locks up solid with centered blade. Don't know if it's the thumbstud location or what exactly but it's harder to open then most of my other liner locks. You have to push out more then up. May just need a little break in.

Something else that is different is that the blade has a definite detent at the halfway point when opening and closing. Like a slipjoint with half stops. Different and unexcepted but kind of cool.

The titanium on this really keeps the weight down. I like the swedge on the blade too. Neat touch. The clip is pretty decent though the knife is only set up for right hand, tip up carry.

Overall it's well worth what I paid for it. For a user the list price of $95 is probably top dollar but with only being made one year it might be worth double that in a few years. If I can score another one for around $70 I might, just to have a spare and or trade/ sale down the road.

I'll carry it for the next week or so along with one of my usual, larger folders and see how it works for me. It's light enough that if it holds up I might just add it to my permanent EDC lineup. I almost always carry a moderate to heavy duty 3.5"-4" folder and a second knife such as a Buck Stockman pattern slipjoint or similar knife in the 2" range. With the strong detent on this one I could see removing the clip and going with straight pocket carry with it.

If you like ATS-34 and are in the market for a very light, well made folder in this size range the Kershaw Wild Wild Turkey, while you can get one, may be worth a look.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Should be getting my SOCP today, im stoked!

If I get the time ill do some pics and a mini review.
    Did you get the SOCP?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Yep, I think I will make a mini review thread about it. Been carrying it for the past week, really like it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast