Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Who's got a blade on order?

Just ordered myself a Mule 12.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    I'll be really interested in what you think of that Cru-Wear when it arrives. IIRC they had some kind of issue with it and this is a re-release but I haven't kept up with the Mule Teams lately. I bought 5 of the MT05 in 9cr18mo when they came out, ($19.95ea). I've only used one and loved the steel. I see them selling on the bay for over $50ea now so I may just keep the one and scale it and sell the rest. Was going to make a set of steak knifes with maple or elder burl scales but at those prices I might just flip the four that are NIB and use the money for something else.

The Mule Team concept, IMHO is a great way to get new steels in the hands of users at a pretty decent price.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thumbs up

Ordered this one back in mid September. Should be here today or tomorrow. WooHoo!

https://www.knifeworks.com/spydercom...positonly.aspx
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I saw on the forms that the first release had heat treating issues... which I figure should be fixed on the second run. As expensive as a mule as this is, its less then a bunch that have been available when I was looking, and I liked the description of the steel.

Oh, and I also just ordered a few knife 'kits' from knifekits.com, basically just fixed blades in need of scales, but I need some practice before working on my mule!

Oh, and I also just ordered a few knife 'kits' from knifekits.com, basically just fixed blades in need of scales, but I need some practice before working on my mule!
    They only come with a primary bevel so you need to finish sharpening them but I've been thinking about ordering some of thier Balisong kits. Let me know what you think of their fixed blade kits.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I have a typhoon, (balisong from knife kits) had a problem when I striped one of the chicago screws, and they said "that shouldn't happen" and sent me a new pair at no cost. I left the blade blunt, cause I don't want to cut myself, so I don't know how well it holds an edge.

(pardon my errors, sent from a smart phone)

I have a typhoon, (balisong from knife kits) had a problem when I striped one of the chicago screws, and they said "that shouldn't happen" and sent me a new pair at no cost. I left the blade blunt, cause I don't want to cut myself, so I don't know how well it holds an edge.

(pardon my errors, sent from a smart phone)
    IIRC they use 440C and a few guys in the Balisong forum have gotten good edges and good performance from them.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

the one currently on the site lists the blade as AUS 8 steel. I don't see the pattern that I have on the site currently though.

Hey, did you get your Mule?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I've got a Ontario Knife RAT-5 on order.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    I've got a Ontario Knife RAT-5 on order.
    Nice one! Been eyeing those as well as the ESEE line which is kind of similar. Was on a fixed blade kick for about a year then went hot and heavy on slipjoints then back to folders. Need to get back in to FBs again. Let us know how you like it? Ontario uses D2 for their blades, don't they?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Nice one! Been eyeing those as well as the ESEE line which is kind of similar. Was on a fixed blade kick for about a year then went hot and heavy on slipjoints then back to folders. Need to get back in to FBs again. Let us know how you like it? Ontario uses D2 for their blades, don't they?
    This one uses 1095 carbon steel.

Finally ordered a Buck/Ron Hood Hoodlum last week.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3947

Been wanting one of these since they came out and even more so after Ron passed away unexpectedly last year. Wanted to use my BCCI discount but Buck never seemed to have them available on their website due to dealer demand. Checked last week and it was available so I hurried up and ordered one. Should be here in a few days.

With my BCCI discount it was under $100 delivered, well worth the club dues. Heck, just the savings on this knife alone based on the street price of $140-$150 + shipping would pay for more than 1/2 a life membership.

Don't know how much I'll actually use it but I found it an interesting collaboration piece and the fact that Ron is no longer with us means there won't be another one exactly like this.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    This one uses 1095 carbon steel.
    Sweet! Have you got it yet?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Sweet! Have you got it yet?
    Yeah, I like this knife a lot. Just the right size for a good working knife, with the added bonus that it is legal to carry it here in Texas (blade is shorter than the 5 1/2" max.).

I don't know what the deal is, but it seems that every US made knife I've bought in the last few years made out of carbon steel has had the factory edge profile look like it was ground by a drunk monkey. This knife was no exception. The edge angle was inconsistent on both sides throughout the length of the blade. After it was reprofiled by myself, it takes a really sharp edge that seems to hold up well. I just don't appreciate that a knife can come from the factory (and isn't advertised as factory seconds or anything) and have such a dicked up edge. It would have been better off coming un-sharpened IMO. This is the second of two Ontario Knife Co. blades that has come like that, and my Pro Tool Co. Camp Utility Knife was the same way.

Well that sucks but glad you were able to get it to your liking. I've only had two factory knives so far that had terrible bevels from the factory. Both were Cold Steel products an American Lawman and a Rajah II. The II wasn't really terrible I guess but the AMLM took quite a bit of work on my diamond rods. One side was maybe 20 degrees and the other was closer to 40. Plus it varied from heel to tip. Finally got it straightened out but never did care for the way it fit my hand so gifted it to my son inlaw.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Last week or so have been pretty sweet with new knives. On Thursday I got my Buck/Ron Hood Hoodlum.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3947

It was only "available" for a couple of days on the Buck website and I was lucky enough to get in my order before they ran out. Demand at the distributor level has been high since this model was introduced and it's only been on Buck's website twice for about 2-3 days or less both times over the last year.

With my BCCI membership it ran me just under $100 delivered. It's big, bad and very, very nice. Good feel and balance with a great edge from the factory. The sheath has a nice pouch on the front that I think I will use for a fire steel and maybe one of my older 112 Rangers. Very nice knife.

My 2nd knife for last week arrived on Saturday. This is a limited dealer exclusive Spyderco Para-Military 2 from Cutlery Shoppe with orange G-10 scales and CTS-XHP blade. This originally sold for $117 and each week the price increased until they sold out which only took 12 days. IIRC the total run was 800pcs.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/para-mi...exclusive.aspx

This is my 2nd or 3rd Spyderco in this steel and I like it a lot. I've got an older Para in CPM-D2 that is a dream slicer and super slick as well as a newer Para 2 design in carbon fiber and S90V steel. Even though the changes between the Para and Para 2 aren't extreme I like the P2 better.

Next to the Military the Para 2 is pretty much my favorite Spyderco. I've already seen one of these on Ebay with bids up to $290 and they are selling steadily on the forums in the $225-$250 range so for $117 + shipping I think I did well.

Will try to get some pics of both the P2 and the Hoodlum later this week. Anyway that's what I got in last week. Anyone else get a new blade lately?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Popped for this one today.

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade62bali-song.aspx

Love my BM42 and though this one is stainless instead of titanium it should be pretty nice.
    Almost forgot about this one as it's been about 3 months since I placed the preorder. Got the shipping confirmation email and it should be here tomorrow if all goes well. I'm pretty anxious to see how it compares to my BM42. I know it will be heavier (6.9oz compared to 4.1oz) since it's stainless not titanium. Just hoping the quality is the same. For me anyway I find the heavier Balisongs easier to flip.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thumbs up

Received my Benchmade 62 Balisong and I'm pretty pleased. Beautiful fit and finish, shaving sharp and it flips darn nice. The handles are about 1/2" shorter than my BM42 which makes it not as comfortable to me any ways but it's a great addition to my balisong collection and one I can flip without worrying about devaluating it like my 42.

My hope is that BM brings out other versions with different blade profiles like they did with the 42. If you're looking for a quality balisong for less than the $300+ the 42 is bringing these days and a little more style than the Bradley Kimura series then this one might be worth considering.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast