Thread: Officials:14,000 rounds of ammo missing from Fort Bragg

Officials:14,000 rounds of ammo missing from Fort Bragg

I saw this on Yahoo. Makes you wonder how 14k rounds of ammo can just "disappear" from a military base.

http://news.yahoo.com/officials-inve...110710878.html

I'll cover them the 14K for now, but I want a little extra cool stuff for my trouble. Namely a TWS
    Why do I need so many guns? Why do you need so many shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by NineFiveBravo View Post
    I'll cover them the 14K for now, but I want a little extra cool stuff for my trouble. Namely a TWS
    I hear ya.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

14K? That's a good day at the range for some of you guys... Less than 5 minutes on a minigun.

In my experience on bases, at least at Leonard Wood, things that go missing are usually accounting errors. They lock the base down for missing AN/PEQs, explosives, weapons, NODs... but a few hours later, they were just in a spot they weren't supposed to be. What is 14K rounds, about a pallet? Forklift operator got into the sauce a little early, and misplaced it. But I still want my TWS for my input

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Kind of surprised they even noticed. That's not a huge amount, at least I wouldn't think it was. They probably "loose" that much due to paperwork errors from time to time. In this case I would imagine two guys with a pickup took about 5 minutes to throw 14 cases in the back and drove off base with it. Seems like the armory or where ever they store small arms ammo would have limited/restricted access.

The facilities I dealt with in the military were pretty much staffed during normal working hours and any scheduled events after hours. Any other time they were alarmed as well as covered by regular patrols.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I agree that it could be a clerical error (misplaced 0) or misplaced pallet.

Not sure why they are making a big story out of it and another thing that is fishy is that a SSG would be allowed to issue a statement for the 1st Brigade. It would have had to go thru the 82nd Abn Div HQ at a minimum if not the 18th Abn Corp to be released and they would have been speaking to at least a Major if not a Lt Col.

I call it media hype or a fabricated story.

On a side note: Anybody that's been in the military knows that it's easier to dispose of the ammunition than to try to turn it back in if you have requisitioned too much for training. So what is 14,000 rnds anyway. They go thru that in a day on any of the small arms ranges out on R5311. It's probably sitting on the back of a 5 ton or at the AHA somewhere anyway

And another thing is that the story said they were locked down for a couple hours. Give me a break we got locked down for a missing bayonet at the arms room one time for about 30 hours. The only way it was found was everybody was so mad they were going to kill the poor bastard that stole it.

In Korea Camp Casey got locked down (the whole base) because of a missing PVS7

I call BS
    Last edited by jojo; 09-10-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Maybe the Justice dept needed it, since they didn't supply ammo with the guns in fast and furious?

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Maybe the Justice dept needed it, since they didn't supply ammo with the guns in fast and furious?
    Hahaha

if you have requisitioned too much for training.

Yeah.. and if you don't use it up come next year they're like "Well you only need X amount cause that's what you used last year"

I remember one exercise where we had to go through around 3,000 smokes/GBS cause that's what we had left over and had to use it up before they would order more.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I always would cringe watching air crews dump ammo out of airborne aircraft...

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Okay, so who here has the missing 14 grand in their basement?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I didn't do it
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~