Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken spot welds on Elk River receiver

Damn i hate this for you, is there some legal way to force this?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Damn i hate this for you, is there some legal way to force this?
    I really don't want it to come down to that. All I really want is to get a riffle back that functions as it should. I understand that shit happens and he might be having issues getting a new receiver. All I'm expecting is a little communication in the meantime. It's been almost 2 months since he has updated me on anything. I have left voicemails and multiple emails.

Right after posting this I decided to try to call him. After 2 rings somone actually answered and it was Hector. I spoke with him for about 10 minutes about my gun. He assured me that it won't be too much longer and that the new receivers are going to be in production next week. He then went on to tell me some of the improvements to the new receivers. He also told me about a few other things that he has in the works and things to be imported. He apologized for the hold ups and was very friendly. In another thread there was a link posted where Hector explained on another site some of the things going on with the business and his personal life and it does sound like he has a lot going on. As long as I get my riffle back and it functions well and looks good I will be a happy customer.
    Last edited by stampederunner; 02-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.

More issues with Elk River/Hector

Called him today and left a message. He called back in a few minutes and I got the same old story. On Feb. 10th I was told that receivers are back in production and he would have them by the following week and he would begin building guns immediately. Now well over a month since our last communication and now the receivers are delayed again due to a broken spot welder. I have been dealing with this for 6 months now. How can a business that builds and sells receivers not have any in stock for over half a year?
    Last edited by stampederunner; 03-19-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Any update on your situation?

Just got off the phone with Hector. A few weeks ago we spoke on the phone and he still did not know when his receivers would be finished so he offered to buy a competetors receiver and build my gun. When I spoke with Hector today he informed me that the gun is all riveted and all he has left to do is check the headspace and parkerize the gun. He says the gun should be ready to ship out by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to a little range time with it, then posting a few pics and telling everyone how it shoots!

Did you ask why he couldnt just weld the rail back on himself? If he actually "builds" them instead of just riveting some parts together, it should have been repaired back in October.

I am very happy to say that I finally have my gun! I picked it up on Monday from my local dealer and made a little time for the range today. The gun looks great! It looks better than the day I bought it! The parkerizing is consistent and dark with no blemishes. I'm not sure because I have not asked Hector, but my bolt carrier appears to be duracoated or some other finish and looks great. Before it was parkerized and didn't look good at all. I was also happy to find a cleaning rod installed, because I did not have one.

I fired 120 rounds today and every round fed, fired and ejected as it should. I did not have a sight tool with me and I definitely needed one. Once I compensated for the sights I was shooting as well as I do with any other open sight gun I own.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Thanks for the follow up and really glad to hear that the rifle was repaired and is in nicer condition than original considering what you went through.

Playing devil's advocate, there has been a run on AKs lately, and not knowing how long it takes for a company to stamp out a receiver, it is possible that the manufacturer had other obligations first before getting a receiver to Elk River, but I can't understand why they couldn't ship one to get a rifle fixed under warrantee.

At least you have it back and are happy! That is the most important thing, you did get it back!

Since the receiver was replaced then serial number would be different, so I might think. Do you think its the same gun or just swapped out with another? Its been so long since you have had it in your possession could you even tell?.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtrucksforever View Post
    Since the receiver was replaced then serial number would be different, so I might think. Do you think its the same gun or just swapped out with another? Its been so long since you have had it in your possession could you even tell?.
    Yes, the receiver is different. He used a Nodak NDS-1 receiver, which from my understanding is one of the better recievers available. The front trunnion has a serial number stamped into it and the bolt and carrier have part of the number stamped on them as well and they all match and they are same number as when it was shipped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12