Thread: Success!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Success!

I just got back from the range, testing my Glenfield Model 60. This is an old rifle that my brother-in-law gave me. The rifle hadn't been fired in about 20 years and it was pretty gummy. I cleaned it for about an hour and tried it, but it would not cycle when I fired it. I cleaned it for a little over an hour and got to try it out again today.

The test went great! I put 50 rounds through it, using CCI Mini-Mags. I had no fail to feeds, no gumminess, no abnormalness on any shot.

Now, as to accuracy, I need to spend some time on that. The rifle has the original Glenfield scope that came with it. The first shots at 50 yards were about 5" high, but centered. By the time I was done with the 50 rounds, the rifle was shooting right on. The accuracy part, I was using a bench but no sandbags, and was keeping a spread of about 2.5". Not great, but it was alright.

Oh yeah, there is one problem. The magazine tube spring needs to be replaced. I have ordered a new one from Brownell's, but it is on back order. Hope I get it soon. As it is, the last round will not even go into the feed ramp.

All in all, I am very happy.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You could try stretching the spring to give it some more force. You probably won't have to do much to it to get it to feeding that last round.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You could try stretching the spring to give it some more force. You probably won't have to do much to it to get it to feeding that last round.
    I have tried to do that, but the plunger has recessed so far inside the magazine tube shaft that I can't get a grip on it to pull it out. I tried that before I ordered the new one. If I could have done that the rifle would have been free. As it is, it will cost me about $30.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member