Thread: Camouflage Attempt

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Camouflage Attempt

A while back, I decided to try and make a rifle "disappear" in the woods. I wasn't satisfied with the camouflage paterns I'd seen, so I tried something different. I looked at the colors that were more common to my area and bought the paints to match them as best I could. I took my full stocked .45 BP rifle and went to work.

One thing I noticed was that most camo patterns were too dark and just didn't fit in with the scenery, so I lightened it up a little. I'm satisfied with what I ended up with. The rifle does seem to blend in better with using lighter colors and the pattern tends to break up the rifle's shape pretty well.

I have to be careful where I lay the gun when I go hunting now.

Losing it is a concern, I've told this story before....Back when camo firearms first came out a friend shot a deer with his new camo'ed mossberg laid it down and then couldn't find it. We went looking for it several times but didn't find it till the spring, alittle rusty but still working, it wasn't his "new" mossberg any more

The job looks nice but camo'ing a traditional ML? I think you've gone too far

Interesting! I like it.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Looks really good.

Everything you said is true, traditional camo is always too dark..

BISHOP

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Nice job! I does blend in quite well.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

I'd say you had some damn good success with your cammo paint . I had to look closely to see it in the first few pics, nice job.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well it looks pretty effecive in the photos. I would never have thought to do it to a caplock rifle.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Add a few shreded BDU wraps to it in strategic spots and it would be invisible in the brush. Nice job on the camo pattern.

Now go take on a redcoat or something
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Great job. In the first picture I lose the rifle about half-way down the tree.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Nice job... that's a crazy pattern for sure, but it works great! You might ought to think about patenting that design.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    A while back, I decided to try and make a rifle "disappear" in the woods. I wasn't satisfied with the camouflage paterns I'd seen, so I tried something different. I looked at the colors that were more common to my area and bought the paints to match them as best I could. I took my full stocked .45 BP rifle and went to work.

One thing I noticed was that most camo patterns were too dark and just didn't fit in with the scenery, so I lightened it up a little. I'm satisfied with what I ended up with. The rifle does seem to blend in better with using lighter colors and the pattern tends to break up the rifle's shape pretty well.

I have to be careful where I lay the gun when I go hunting now.

I'd say you're spot-on not laying that thing down. You did a damn good job. The butt of the gun blends in rather well, I'd be interested to see how the whole thing blends with the ground cover.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Nice job... that's a crazy pattern for sure, but it works great! You might ought to think about patenting that design.
    +1

I would buy a shirt in that pattern.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

That is an usual pattern. Can't say I've seen any like it.
    Great job!!!
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL