Thread: Any one want a new/surplus Glock 18?

Any one want a new/surplus Glock 18?

http://www.wlky.com/news/29251691/detail.html

It looks like the Greenwood PD has some they don't want.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

This time it really is Bush's fault - Bush 1.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Seems like the manufacturer/seller would have a purchase order from the department or the city/town council at the very least. Isn't there a law that says if you get something in the mail you didn't order you can keep it?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The DOJ screwed up. They were supposed to go to Mexico

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Being local, this is becoming very comical. They are complaining that they don't know who ordered the pistols, and that they are too dangerous for the average cop to handle.

If we had some laws in this country protecting our rights, I would love to take one of those Glock 18s off their hands for what they paid for one!

Heck, even with the unconstitutional laws, I would still like to take one off their hands for what they paid for one!

"Don't know who ordered them" I bet is LEO speak for covering up the person who ordered them.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The DOJ screwed up. They were supposed to go to Mexico
    Or was it Chicago? Or it could've been Honduras. Hell, I don't know, it's getting harder and harder to keep up with all these little 'botched stings' around the country.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Being local, this is becoming very comical. They are complaining that they don't know who ordered the pistols, and that they are too dangerous for the average cop to handle.
    Maybe they were incentives for IPD not to drink and drive? You know, go so many days/weeks/months without a DUI and get a tricked out Glock?
    Last edited by hazmat; 09-21-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Why do the cops always get the best toys?
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Hell I will take 2 and call you in the morning.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Isn't the difference between a semi and FA Glock the end plate and some internal parts? Seems like the chief could always just have the FA parts removed and semi parts installed then issue them as std glocks? Granted for you and me once a FA always a FA rules would apply but for a PD it shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Isn't the difference between a semi and FA Glock the end plate and some internal parts? Seems like the chief could always just have the FA parts removed and semi parts installed then issue them as std glocks? Granted for you and me once a FA always a FA rules would apply but for a PD it shouldn't be a big deal.
    Those would be some pretty expensive G17's for duty use.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Those would be some pretty expensive G17's for duty use.
    I wonder what a PD pays for a G18, one thing is clear it's no where close to what we'd have to pay for a transferable, maybe not even more then a G17. At one time I understood the price difference between a civilian Colt AR15 and the military Colt FA equivalent was the military FA version was cheaper (one off sales VS large contract buy being the reason)...

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I wonder what a PD pays for a G18, one thing is clear it's no where close to what we'd have to pay for a transferable, maybe not even more then a G17. At one time I understood the price difference between a civilian Colt AR15 and the military Colt FA equivalent was the military FA version was cheaper (one off sales VS large contract buy being the reason)...
    Years ago when you could get a SAR-1 for what, $325.00 from CAI there were some converted to select fire for sale in Shotgun News for police purchase. The price as I recall was $700. Figuring the SOT probably got dealer pricing and maybe even quantity discount I thought his markup was likely 100%

Haven't seen a converted G17 for sale but can't you can get an LE G17 with three mags for something just under or maybe just over $400? Even buying six of them the tariff to the department must be $800-$1000 a piece if you figure the dealer converted them and added the same markup of a little higher. The biggest expense in the conversion is probably buying and fitting the selector to the G17. I assumed they were G17s. I guess they could be a G19 or G26 since the article didn't specify but a G17 would seem the most likely.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068