Thread: Flex Seal in a can, mastic rubberized coating, any good for roof boot?

Flex Seal in a can, mastic rubberized coating, any good for roof boot?

I saw a commercial for a product called Flex Seal and I was wondering if anyone had experience with it and could advise if it would work for a ventilation pipe boot on a roof. I need to replace a few boots on a very tall and steep roof. Would something like this be as good as putting a new boot on as far as how long it would stay sealed up and last? The site says it lasts for several years and doesn't dry or crack.

Site: https://www.getflexseal.com/

This is what they say about the material, I don't know how well mastic rubberized coatings work.
    Q: What is Flex Seal™ made of?
    A: Flex Seal™ is a thick, durable, mastic rubberize coating that is specially formulated to spray out as a liquid, seep into cracks and holes and dry to a watertight, flexible, rubberized coating.
    I don't want to go through the trouble of getting on the roof and spraying it if it won't hold up over time. Would I be better off just replacing the boot or will something like this work?

Didn't you see the pool of water under his seat while rowing in the boat?

If you want to try something like this, get some automotive undercoating spray. It is tar based, flexible and resistant to heat.

And cheaper and easier to get.
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Don't know about that stuff, I like this stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/Henry-Company-...7232523&sr=8-1

There should be Henry's at your local lumber yard.
    CHOOT UM!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

A lot depends on the type of pipe boot you have,galvanized, neoprene,pvc, etc. and what type of pipe you're trying to seal.

I've seen the commercials, some pretty amazing claims, we get a good chuckle out of it at the shop, if this stuff works as well as they state, i'm out of a job

If i were you i'd stick to tried and true repair methods, that stuff is pretty expensive, and i bet you'll spend more time unclogging the spray tip than you want to.

There is a product we use sometimes that sounds similar to this stuff, it's a modified neoprene/asphalt emulsion that works pretty good but tends to blister and degrade when exposed to UV unless you apply some type of protective UV resistant coating to it.

The easy way isn't always the best way.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    On roofing boots, waste pipes us roofers use Karnak spread with a stir stick.
    Or you could try Geocell sealant in a caulk tube, it's clear and not temperature
    sensitive. Basically, you need more than a thin base layer that you can spray
    on. Spend the money for a quality product now, or pay a lot later to fix the
    damage from using a crappy product, Buy your supplies at the local roofing
    supply.
    Good luck
    Just me and my monkey....

Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    On roofing boots, waste pipes us roofers use Karnak spread with a stir stick.
    Or you could try Geocell sealant in a caulk tube, it's clear and not temperature
    sensitive. Basically, you need more than a thin base layer that you can spray
    on. Spend the money for a quality product now, or pay a lot later to fix the
    damage from using a crappy product, Buy your supplies at the local roofing
    supply.
    Good luck
    That may be a better way to go. Would something like you mention last as long as replacing the boot? The current boots work, they just are starting to dry and crack and cause a small water leak.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Geocel makes an excellant line of sealants, google Geocell 2300 tri-polymer sealant, sticks to everything and even works under water, expect to pay 7-10 bucks a tube.