Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife Wants a .380 to carry while RUNNING, recommendations?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Of those listed I'd go with the Ruger I've actually been considering a pocket .380 myself and so far it's at the top of my list.

I've got a Kel-Tec P-11 and in 2 years it's broken the slide-lock 3 times and had a broken firing-pin. KT was great about sending me new parts but needless to say i'm not impressed with their quality. The LCP is basically identical to the P3AT but Ruger apparently builds them to a higher standard of quality. By far fewer reports of problems that I've seen or heard about the Ruger.

I've seen reports of cracked slides on the Micro DEs so personally I'd shy away from them.

The Kahr is definitely a nice weapon but a bit on the pricey side, but it is a good quality pistol with a decent reputation for reliability.

Another pistol in this class is the Taurus TCP. If you can get past the idea of it being a Taurus, that's actuially tough for me, it does seem as though they may have actually got it right with this one. Reports have been good without a lot of major issues.
    Last edited by weevil; 10-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Another vote for the LCP! I had the opportunity to take 2 brand new LCPs out shooting with a friend. Both were still wrapped in their factory plastic bag, and had all the factory grease. After a quick scrub down and spray of CLP, we started shooting. By the end of the day, both pistols had fed and fired over 200rds each of misc. FMJ and defense ammo with ZERO problems (thank God I wasn't footing the ammo bill since I was invited to come along and help test the guns). I was blown away by their ability to feed any brand of HP we put through it, and not one single jam, FTF, FTE, not one single issue! Accuracy was also very impressive! Not a long range weapon by any means, but it made easy work of clay pigeons at 7 & 10yrds!

Needless to say, I have put one on my list as a alternative to carrying my Makarov. Cool little guns, and definitely worth the price! Another plus is that they are manufactured about 15miles from my home and are stamped PRESCOTT, ARIZONA (where I currently reside) on the slide.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

I fired a friend's .380 keltec once. Like someone mentioned, the trigger pull is horrific. The trigger guard also smacked my fingers. I think you're supposed to put the gun through a 200 rnd break in period in order to achieve optimal functioning. Not 100% sure if I remember that correctly, but if you do go with the keltec be sure not to skip a break in if it says it needs it.

If you were willing to go up in size slightly I think the 9mm kahrs have a very good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dafapa View Post
    I fired a friend's .380 keltec once. Like someone mentioned, the trigger pull is horrific. The trigger guard also smacked my fingers. I think you're supposed to put the gun through a 200 rnd break in period in order to achieve optimal functioning. Not 100% sure if I remember that correctly, but if you do go with the keltec be sure not to skip a break in if it says it needs it.

If you were willing to go up in size slightly I think the 9mm kahrs have a very good reputation.

People are starting to really rave about Ruger's new single-stack 9mm as well. The Ruger LC9 is about the dimensional size of a Walther PPK in .380. However, it is actually 3-6 oz lighter, and carries 7 + 1 rounds of 9mm. I'm seriously considering buying one myself b/c they are lighter and flatter than my Glock 19s. The LC9 also has a safety (right thumb operated-not good for lefties) which means I can carry it without a holster. You can find them for b/t $330-$430 depending upon where you live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLxP6Kywzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enRpnUtzV5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75tI1V8WZ9U&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAitX...eature=related

LC9 vs PF9 by Hickock45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiXbG...eature=related

The LC9 has only been out about 6-8 months, and there are already more than 6 pages of reviews on youtube. I personally think it's the best new pistol introduced this year.

Rage
    Last edited by American Rage; 10-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

I live in Florida so I carry a LCP for the fact that it is lightweight, small, and easy to carry concealed. I've got over 600 rds through it and after the recommended break in period it has never malfunctroned. The problem at first was that the feedramp needed to be polished so the hollow points would feed correctly. The trigger pull is bad but it is fine once you know what to expect and you have a variety of laser attachments that can be added.

I would also think about a revolver, I wouldn't recommend a auto to someone that does not shoot all the time. There are to many variables.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

What about the SW bodyguard series?

so, what did you decide on Mark?

Rage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12