Thread: Thoughts on .223 Wylde chambering?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Thoughts on .223 Wylde chambering?

In one of Palmetto State Armory's latest e-fliers they listed an AR mid-length rifle kit (everything but lower itself and rear sight) that uses the .223 Wylde chamber instead of usual .223 Rem or 5.56NATO. From what I've learned by Googling, it's basically a compromise between .223 Rem and 5.56N; it's "looser" than .223 Rem but "tighter" than 5.56 therefore more accurate (theoretically)? If any can give me the low-down in plain terms or opinions/experiences with .223 Wylde, it is much appreciated.

Here's the kit I was referring to: http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2277.php

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You read and seem to understand correctly, it is a fairly good compromise to allow the use of either .223 or 5.56x45.

Personally I don't see why champers aren't all for the 5.56x45 although I honestly couldn't tell you how much that would affect accuracy of the .223.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No experience with the Wylde chamber but you have it correct as I understand it. It should help accuracy and pressure spikes. Certainly I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the kit if it has all you wish in an AR kit.

I have a Rock River Predator Pursuit rifle with this chamber. It features a heavy stainless Wilson barrel with a 1:8 twist. Here is what Rock River says about the Wylde chamber;

The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy.

DTI has great prices if you haven't looked!

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

I have owned 2 ARs with the Wylde chamber.

Rock River arms has been using it for around 10 years or more.

Right now my 20" bull barrel flat top upper has a wylde chamber and it seems to like .223 and 5.56 again its hard to do an apples to apples comparison. I also wonder if for reloading what the brass fire forms and re-sizes to.

I have a 20" A2 in .223 from Armalite. It came with a letter explaning that they didn't feel a 5.56mm chamber was necessary as millions of rounds of 5.56mm have been fired through their .223 chambers for years without issue.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

http://www.ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

This should give everyone an idea on the difference between chamber reamers from .223 Remington, .223 Wylde and 5.56 NATO.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks for the info fellas. Those are indeed good kit prices from Del-Ton abpt1, but since I'd be swapping out the grip and stock for the magpuls in the PSA kit, I think it'd almost be wash overall, but I will be keeping them in mind for any possible future builds....especially the pink furniture they have; which the wife said would be cool if I built one for her with them on it
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Thanks for the info fellas. Those are indeed good kit prices from Del-Ton abpt1, but since I'd be swapping out the grip and stock for the magpuls in the PSA kit, I think it'd almost be wash overall, but I will be keeping them in mind for any possible future builds....especially the pink furniture they have; which the wife said would be cool if I built one for her with them on it
    Thats has to be cool for your wife to want one. My wife told me a few months ago she would consider going to shoot with me, as of yet, Nothing has changed.
    I wish i could get her to the range.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Thats has to be cool for your wife to want one. My wife told me a few months ago she would consider going to shoot with me, as of yet, Nothing has changed.
    I wish i could get her to the range.
    Just keep asking dude! Maybe as a b-day or X-mas gift to you she can go shooting with you and to be fair do something with her you're not exactly motivated to do/try . When I met my wife she was a big-city girl and to her guns were bad. I informed her of the incorrect info she had about guns, took her shooting to prove it, and she's now a believer....not a fan of shotgunning, but looooooves grandpa's and I's 10/22s. Since her eyesight isn't the greatest she prefers rifles with scopes...and some pistol thrown in.

I'd never heard of this chambering. Good info.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    From what I've learned by Googling, it's basically a compromise between .223 Rem and 5.56N; it's "looser" than .223 Rem but "tighter" than 5.56 therefore more accurate (theoretically)?
    The difference between the 3 standard chambers has to do with the amount of freebore, (area in front of the chamber the rifling is cut away), and not in the chamber dimensions themselves, which are all identical. A .223 chamber has the least amount of freebore. A Wylde chamber has slightly more, but less than a 5.56 MM NATO, and the 5.56 MM NATO has the most amount of freebore. The more freebore, the higher chamber pressure that can be safely run......in theory.

Weatherby has been using this concept in their Weatherby chambered rifles for decades. Now other manufacturers like Remington are chambering their rifles for Weatherby rounds. These rifles have no such freebore, yet in spite of that fact they can safely fire Weatherby factory ammunition. In short there really isn't much to be gained or lost in a Wylde Chambered rifle. While a standard .223 chamber might be slightly more accurate, that is not a guarantee. Many 5.56 MM NATO chambered AR-15's will shoot very accurately. If you like running your handloaded ammunition at or near the red line, stick with a 5.56 MM chambered rifle. The added freebore will allow you to achieve maximum velocity without experiencing the more common signs of high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    The difference between the 3 standard chambers has to do with the amount of freebore, (area in front of the chamber the rifling is cut away), and not in the chamber dimensions themselves, which are all identical. A .223 chamber has the least amount of freebore. A Wylde chamber has slightly more, but less than a 5.56 MM NATO, and the 5.56 MM NATO has the most amount of freebore. The more freebore, the higher chamber pressure that can be safely run......in theory.

Weatherby has been using this concept in their Weatherby chambered rifles for decades. Now other manufacturers like Remington are chambering their rifles for Weatherby rounds. These rifles have no such freebore, yet in spite of that fact they can safely fire Weatherby factory ammunition. In short there really isn't much to be gained or lost in a Wylde Chambered rifle. While a standard .223 chamber might be slightly more accurate, that is not a guarantee. Many 5.56 MM NATO chambered AR-15's will shoot very accurately. If you like running your handloaded ammunition at or near the red line, stick with a 5.56 MM chambered rifle. The added freebore will allow you to achieve maximum velocity without experiencing the more common signs of high pressure.
    Cool. Thanks for the new info in easy to understand form billt . Chances are, when I'm finally able to get my reloading setup going, I'd stay closer to "standard" recipes than the hotter ones...unless of course I run across one that's pretty accurate to warrant going with the hotter load.

NOW THIS SITE IS STARTING TO BUILD INFO. CARRY ON........
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..