Thread: Price Check on a .41 Mag Old Model Blackhawk

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Price Check on a .41 Mag Old Model Blackhawk

This is the only photo I have available. Serial number puts it as a 1966 date of manufacture. Looks to me like the barrel is 4 5/8".

From this one pic it looks like it's in pretty nice condition. I don't own a .41 Mag but do own several 10mm handguns and have been wanting a 4 5/8" Blackhawk so this might be a good compromise? Anyone care to venture an opinion on a possible value? TIA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 10-05-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Rugers were quite cheap when benchmarked against S&W's of the same time. I paid 279 for a cased Model 57 s&W 41 mag in 1978. I think the Ruger was around $200 then. Fast forward to 2011 and isn't a S&W worth around $750 now? If so then I'd hazard a value of $600 to $650. BTW, that is just the standard Black Hawk revolver, not the same size as the .44 magnum Ruger Super Black Hawk frame and cylinders. The .41 mag can generate just as much pressure as a .44 magnum with 240 gr. bullets. I have always had my reservations about a Black Hawk in .41 and that's why I never got one back in my ute.

$500+/- IMO

Hit the Ruger Forum classifieds and see what's there. I was amazed at the number of OMs in all sorts of configurations and conditions that pop up there.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    $500+/- IMO

Hit the Ruger Forum classifieds and see what's there. I was amazed at the number of OMs in all sorts of configurations and conditions that pop up there.

Was just over there. Wish their search function was worth a shit.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Search function? I usually just go back 3-4 pages and drool...
    I aim to misbehave...

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

was one locally a few months back $375.

having the box I'd say $400-450
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Rugers were quite cheap when benchmarked against S&W's of the same time. I paid 279 for a cased Model 57 s&W 41 mag in 1978. I think the Ruger was around $200 then. Fast forward to 2011 and isn't a S&W worth around $750 now? If so then I'd hazard a value of $600 to $650. BTW, that is just the standard Black Hawk revolver, not the same size as the .44 magnum Ruger Super Black Hawk frame and cylinders. The .41 mag can generate just as much pressure as a .44 magnum with 240 gr. bullets. I have always had my reservations about a Black Hawk in .41 and that's why I never got one back in my ute.
    Yes, this is a Blackhawk, not a Super Blackhawk. I've not heard of any issues with the .41 or 44mag in the old model BH. Ruger chambered both the .44 mag and the .41 mag in this model for years without any issues before switching the .44mag to the SBH. The .41mag is still offered in the new model Blackhawk which as far as I know, other than the transfer bar safety is pretty much the same as the old model.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

Mine was $575 2 1/2 years ago, 1968 manufacture, lightly used and without the box, but this is not a free state, so all goods have a higher price. I also have no issues with the strength or durability of the Blackhawk frame. I personally am not a big fan of the square back trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk, but I do own one.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
    Mine was $575 2 1/2 years ago, 1968 manufacture, lightly used and without the box, but this is not a free state, so all goods have a higher price. I also have no issues with the strength or durability of the Blackhawk frame. I personally am not a big fan of the square back trigger guard on the Super Blackhawk, but I do own one.
    Know what you mean. I've got a SBH, .44mag with the 10.5" bull barrel. Love the gun but hate that dragoon triggerguard.

So is the one in my photo considered a "flat top"?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    So is the one in my photo considered a "flat top"?
    It looks like it has the "hump" ahead of the rear sight which means it's not a FT but that could just be an optical illusion. And IIRC the flat tops were no longer in production after 1962 but I could be very wrong about that part.

This is a FT:
    I aim to misbehave...

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    It looks like it has the "hump" ahead of the rear sight which means it's not a FT but that could just be an optical illusion. And IIRC the flat tops were no longer in production after 1962 but I could be very wrong about that part.

This is a FT:
    Thanks for the pic. I think you're right. It's not a flattop. The more I look at it though the more I'm tempted. It's part of an estate but the auction isn't for a good while. Think I'm gonna keep researching and reading your guys posts and see what I decide.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Ruger Blackhawk "Flattop" chambered in .357 Mag.

There were Flattops chambered in .357 Mag. and .44 Mag. but never .41 Mag. There were about 42,690 of the .357 Mag. version made from 1955-1962 and about 28,806 of the .44 Mag. version made from 1956-1963.

Richard, your Blackhawk should bring $400-$500 IMO.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post

Ruger Blackhawk "Flattop" chambered in .357 Mag.

There were Flattops chambered in .357 Mag. and .44 Mag. but never .41 Mag. There were about 42,690 of the .357 Mag. version made from 1955-1962 and about 28,806 of the .44 Mag. version made from 1956-1963.

Richard, your Blackhawk should bring $400-$500 IMO.

Steve
    Is that Ferds purple Ruger?

Blackhawk Info

From my 2011 Standard Catalog of Firearms, The Collector's Price & Reference Guide 21st Edition...
    Blackhawk
    This model is similar to the "flattop," but the rear sight is protected by two raised protrusions--- one on each side. It was available chambered for the .30 carbine, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum or the .45 Colt cartridge. Barrel lengths are 4-5/8" or 6.5" in .357 Magnum and .41 Magnum. .45 Colt version has 4-5/8" and 7.5" barrel lengths. The .30 Carbine is furnished with a 7.5" barrel only. The finish is blue, and the grips are walnut with Ruger medallions. This model was produced from 1962 to 1972. Note that the "Old Style" Blackhawk (i.e., pre-transfer bar) is a popular platform for custom revolvers so prices may exceed those shown depending on the circumstances.
    NIB - $700, Exc. - $500, V.G. - $350, Good - $200, Fair - $150, Poor - $125.

Note: Add 20 percent for the .41 Magnum and 50 percent for the .45 Colt and 35 percent for the .30 Carbine. Original verified factory brass grip frame will add at least $200 to the above prices. It was available chambered for the .357 Magnum or .41 Magnum (4-5/8" or 6-1/2" barrel), or .45 Long Colt (4-5/8" or 7-1/2" barrel). The .41 Magnum with factory installed brass frame will bring $800 to $1500 depending on condition.

So from the pic it looks at least Exc condition shading toward NIB so splitting the difference gives a base of $600 + 20% = $720... now as to what it will sell for...

Thumbs up

Thanks to all.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068