Thread: is it me or is it the rifle?

is it me or is it the rifle?

a few days ago I finally got in some range time and decoded to give my m44 carbine a go.I also discovered that the surplus tim I owned was not 7.62X39 but rather some 50's made ( I think) Chinese surplus 54R as well as some LVE Russian hunting rounds. well I didn't have a single dud but good did I have trouble extracting a round on it. before i dump my remaining surplus can anyone tell me what areas to check? things to rule out before blaming the ammo? granted it looks simple but I am not a seasoned collector so I ask.
    thanks for your time and good day

Well, there's always the possibility of lacquer build up in the chamber if lacquered rounds were used.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would also suggest cleaning the chamber very heavily. Hopefully you don't have a rough chamber. When you say "trouble extracting a round" are you saying it is very difficult to lift the bolt handle or are you saying it is very difficult to pull the bolt back and have the shell come out?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I would also suggest cleaning the chamber very heavily. Hopefully you don't have a rough chamber. When you say "trouble extracting a round" are you saying it is very difficult to lift the bolt handle or are you saying it is very difficult to pull the bolt back and have the shell come out?
    lifting trouble with the Bolt handle definitely.. once that is done it extracts& flings just fine.Now I have shot plenty of Mosin Nagants before so I know this isn't supposed to be a easy action but If I need to use a mallet to unlock the bolt something definitely is wrong..the chamber looks good as far as I know. it may be the 50's Chinese surplus acting up but this is my only carbine and while I can get a 91/30 and shorten it "bubba' is an ugly word around here
    Last edited by Sergi762; 10-10-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi762 View Post
    lifting trouble with the Bolt handle definitely.. once that is done it extracts& flings just fine.Now I have shot plenty of Mosin Nagants before so I know this isn't supposed to be a easy action but If I need to use a mallet to unlock the bolt something definitely is wrong..the chamber looks good as far as I know. it may be the 50's Chinese surplus acting up but this is my only carbine and while I can get a 91/30 and shorten it "bubba' is an ugly word around here
    Agreed. If you're using a mallet to open the bolt you have an issue. Any cracked necks, bulged cases, deep scratches or flatten/missing primers on the fired cases? How does the action close on a chambered round?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've had the hard bolt lift thing before myself. Now I'm trying to remember what was the cause. I seem to think it was ammo related, rims being thicker than normal possibly. Have you tried another brand of surplus? I would suggest the Russian that is on the market now in spam cans. After all they invented the round.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I've had the hard bolt lift thing before myself. Now I'm trying to remember what was the cause. I seem to think it was ammo related, rims being thicker than normal possibly. Have you tried another brand of surplus? I would suggest the Russian that is on the market now in spam cans. After all they invented the round.
    I suspected the rims but after comparing side by side with the Finnish and my Russian surplus the(Chinese) rims where identical( but my eye sight isn't much to speak of), it shouldn't be broken out right as I can still chamber fire and (with difficulty) extract a case.. guess the old girl gets a cleaning from Hell come Saturday. that fails I'll root around the web for a set of headspace gauges.
    Heck I though about just swapping bolts until those vids Bluntforce posted reminded me about it..

soon as I have the spare cash I was going to do just that( get some of the Russian )...but again on the list as usual.
    Last edited by Sergi762; 10-10-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Thanks for those links, bluntforce. I know now there may actually be some hope for my M38.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Check the spent casings - if there's a rough spot in the chamber, it should show on the casings.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Hello,

How does it function with other ammo?

I've found some surplus I would consider overpressure, but haven't tried the Chinese stuff as I just went to handloading for the rifle.

As mentioned, there's Cosmoline buildup that will make the bolt hard to work if it flows. While the chamber is cool, lightly rub it with sandpaper or a .45 brush, and don't neglect the neck area.

Go out and shoot it, and before you reload each time, wipe the chamber out with paper towels until they come out clean. Do this while it's hot.

Also try pulling the cocking piece back before lifting the bolt handle. Might be getting some primer flow, and if lifting the bolt handle is easy after pre-cocking it, then you've found at least one problem right there.

Regards,

Josh

Any MN I have ever shot has been a tough bitch to raise the handle. I just use the palm of my hand as a mallet and whack it up.

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    Any MN I have ever shot has been a tough bitch to raise the handle. I just use the palm of my hand as a mallet and whack it up.
    Hello,

I'm a lefty and reach over with my left thumb to operate the handle. I honestly don't feel much resistance beyond the cocking piece pulling back, and a master gunsmith named Moosman (might google it) came up with a SAFE cock-on-closing solution for this. (It's something I was going to do but didn't have time. I'd been talking to him and he got to it before me, and did an awesome job!)

Point being, it shouldn't be hard to operate.

Regards,

Josh

It's the beauty of the "cock on closing" vs the Nagant's cock on opening. It's a lot easier to slap the bolt down than raise it. Just a characteristic of the Nagant rifle. Clean the chamber up good and polish the mating surfaces. A little 600 paper on a dowel rod will take any nicks in the chamber out without removing surrounding metal.

Eat some more Wheaties too!
    God Bless America and Type III AKs

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

The guy with the answer erased the two videos and made one. I think his 2009 vids were much better. Here's the consolidated one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL20Oh4P8M