Thread: New mossberg bolt gun takes standard AR15 mags

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

New mossberg bolt gun takes standard AR15 mags

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...6&display=desc

I just read the review of this gun in Rifle Shooter, and this gun has my interest.

There is a piece on the bolt face that drops down to aid in stripping a round from the magazine, looks pretty flimsy, but also looks easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...6&display=desc

I just read the review of this gun in Rifle Shooter, and this gun has my interest.

There is a piece on the bolt face that drops down to aid in stripping a round from the magazine, looks pretty flimsy, but also looks easy to replace.

I don't know man, they didn't put that uber cool tactical weed whacked handle on it. How am I supposed to go all johnny bad ass from the hip with that thing?

Accepts AR-15 style aftermarket magazines
    That's what the website says but do they mean actual AR mags or proprietary mags that look AR-ish?

One in .308 that takes FAL mags would have my interest...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

I'm waiting for this to come out in 300 AAC Blackout.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

What marketing genious came up with the idea of including a cheap scope? Not smart. Just adds cost and will not likely be anyone's first pick.... ditto on the attached bi-pod.

And now the other question - how much?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Looks the mags have to be "installed".
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Looks the mags have to be "installed".
    If you're getting that off of the Mossberg website, I don't think that's what they're saying -the installed part is in referrence to the scope... but it's very ambiguous.

What's the point of being able to use AR mags if they have to be "installed"?

Ah, they're offering with or without the scope. $649 sans scope MSRP, so $450 wholesale.

http://nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=4956
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 10-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    If you're getting that off of the Mossberg website, I don't think that's what they're saying -the installed part is in referrence to the scope... but it's very ambiguous.

What's the point of being able to use AR mags if they have to be "installed"?

Ah, they're offering with or without the scope. $649 sans scope MSRP, so $450 wholesale.

http://nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=4956
    I gotcha. The lack of punctuation in their marketing paragraph makes it difficult to determine which nouns the verbs and adjectives apply to.

Also, I don't see a mag release which makes me further question whether this rifle uses "AR style" magazines in the method one would assume. In other words, I wonder if its a fixed "AR style" magazine that must be loaded from the top just like in wooden times.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Hmmmm........ not personally interested in this rifle, but I do have some interest in their ATR-100 bolt action. I wouldn't mind looking at one in .270.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I gotcha. The lack of punctuation in their marketing paragraph makes it difficult to determine which nouns the verbs and adjectives apply to.

Also, I don't see a mag release which makes me further question whether this rifle uses "AR style" magazines in the method one would assume. In other words, I wonder if its a fixed "AR style" magazine that must be loaded from the top just like in wooden times.
    All of the pictures are of the right side of the gun - the mag release could easily be a button on the left side...

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

The mag release is in front of the magazine well,and recessed into the stock, looks pretty easy to reach with the thumb. The mag supplied with the gun is a C products 10 rounder. The review in the magazine says it is designed to take all aftermarket AR mags. The reviewer tested 8 diferent types of ammo and over half produced sub 1" groups at 100 yds the rest was 1.1" to 1.3" at 100 with one 4 shot group at 200 yds of 1.07" with Black Hills 50 grain.

The unique feature is what they call the drop-push bolt, i've never seen this on any other bolt gun before, but they say ts makes for absolutely reliable feed.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Hmmmm........ not personally interested in this rifle, but I do have some interest in their ATR-100 bolt action. I wouldn't mind looking at one in .270.
    I can recomend the atr, good cheap utility rifle. It's not finished as nicely as the other rifles in it's class but it's worth the $250 walmart wants for it

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I can recomend the atr, good cheap utility rifle. It's not finished as nicely as the other rifles in it's class but it's worth the $250 walmart wants for it
    Cool, thanks Raxar, I've got a kid that needs a decent (but inexpensive) bolt action rifle.
    Returns June 3rd.