Thread: Refinished Underfolder

Refinished Underfolder

Well here's my first AK refinish. It's been a few months, but if I remember correctly, I used the wine colored Rite Dye and a mohogany semi gloss finish. I didnt wipe off too much of the rite dye as some youtube videos show. I really like the deep burgundy/plum color. It's got a bit of a gloss to it, but the pictures make it glossier than it looks in person. Overall, I think it turned out pretty good and looks much better than the old stuff. Now I'm looking for some new blonde furniture.

Last edited by imanaknut; 02-02-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added photos for those of us who don't like links. :D

Looks really good

I got the same one about 2 weeks ago. Very solid with very little mag wobble. I like what you did to the furniture. Still debating on what I want to do with mine. I want it personalized to be a SHTF scenario firearm. I have been thinking about a UltiMak gas tube with the Bushnell TSR(?) red dot sight. Definately have to switch out the pistol grip.
    Are planning on doing anything further to yours?

Thanks. I don't plan on doing much more with it. It is solid! No mag wobble, like you said, and no play in the stock at all. Century did this one right! I just want to get a few Tapco mags and sight it in. I kind of like the grip, but I know what you're saying. I've seen an article about wrapping the check weld side if the underfolding stock with paracord for a more comfortable feel. I'd only really do that if I was bored to death just to see what it looks/feels like.
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~m70AK3/cheek.htm

I thought about that, but being a South paw I don't want to interfere with the safety lever should the stock be folded. I think its just something I will have to live with. One other thing I am looking at is adding a swivel ring directly to the back trunion if possible. I just want a single point contact sling, maybe with a quick disconnect. When it comes to most things I own, I go for more function over form and this seems like the type of set up I want. Not sure about attaching it to the trunion yet, but I have seen some AK Draco pistols that have what looks like a plate that is between the pistol grip and receiver that juts out just enough to clip a sling onto.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Added you photos. Yes, I am really lazy when it comes to links.

Anyway, really nice refinish on the handguards!!! Just me, but I wonder if the rifle would look even better in a little darker metal finish? Not that it doesn't look great now, it does!!!

ENJOY!!! Nice rifle!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the pics. Not sure why they post like they did when I loaded them.

A swivel at the attach point would be a good idea. I just picked up a nice "easy adjust" sling at Walmart for around $10 for my Mossberg 590. I'm suprised how nice it really is. They had a single point one that I might go check out. Hoping to pick up a few new mags today. I'm itchin to go shoot but there arent any ranges around here. Sucks!!