Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working on my PAP

So far it has been 100% reliable. I believe the folks that have had issues with feeding didn't replace the single stack type bolt with a double stack one.

The bolt on the right is a standard M70 bolt used with a double stack magazine. Note the lug on the bottom is wider than the lug on the bolt on the left. If you fit that lug into the top of a magazine it is the width of the opening.

The bolt on the left is the bolt that comes on the standard single stack PAP and the lug is the width of the SS magazine opening. In addition, the lug is about .060in. shorter on the left hand bolt. Combined, these two factors do not allow the stock PAP bolt to function reliably with double stack magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
    So far it has been 100% reliable. I believe the folks that have had issues with feeding didn't replace the single stack type bolt with a double stack one.

The bolt on the right is a standard M70 bolt used with a double stack magazine. Note the lug on the bottom is wider than the lug on the bolt on the left. If you fit that lug into the top of a magazine it is the width of the opening.

The bolt on the left is the bolt that comes on the standard single stack PAP and the lug is the width of the SS magazine opening. In addition, the lug is about .060in. shorter on the left hand bolt. Combined, these two factors do not allow the stock PAP bolt to function reliably with double stack magazines.
    Great thanks for that short write up. Now i feel a bit more confident in getting this done. I just need to find a gunsmith and ill be good to go then.

Where can you get a M70 bolt, i looked on apexgunparts.com and nothing. The carrier shouldnt need replacing correct?

Quote Originally Posted by achwan86 View Post
    Where can you get a M70 bolt, i looked on apexgunparts.com and nothing. The carrier shouldnt need replacing correct?
    Legion has one for 65. Seems a bit steep, there are a few on gunbroker for 40 Ish

High power is there a chance I could see the inside of ur magwell?

Quote Originally Posted by greeenie View Post
    Legion has one for 65. Seems a bit steep, there are a few on gunbroker for 40 Ish

THanks, i looked but gunbroker has them for like 150 too much. And Legion dont have any in stock.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

That's a damn sexy looking rifle!!!

See post 29

missed that part, thanks again

I found the IR wood set, and can get it in walnut. The only thing I will be missing is that filler piece that you custom made. Do you know if the butt will still function ok with the filler while I figure out how I will make one? Will it just bolt on and have a gap?

Quote Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
    I found the IR wood set, and can get it in walnut. The only thing I will be missing is that filler piece that you custom made. Do you know if the butt will still function ok with the filler while I figure out how I will make one? Will it just bolt on and have a gap?
    Yes it will work just fine. The gap filler adds no strength to the attachment point. You might try to talk to Matt and see if he can make a stock with the wood cut to match the shape of the rear trunnion.

High power u mentioned having die and tat for threading Ak barrel, would u happen to.rent it out?

Quote Originally Posted by achwan86 View Post
    I used a bolt from an M72 in my conversion.
    I got it here
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/1620

Thanks a lot, Highpower! Due to this thread, I went and bought me one last night ($450 OTD).

Although I'm planning on doing something a little different with mine. I've been kicking this idea around for a couple of months (ever since I first caught this thread, in other words) so I picked up a standard M70 front trunion off GB. That way, I don't have to mill out the stock one. I can just remove the old one and replace it with the other and do the other internal mods with a little more space to work.

I do have one question for you, how did you fabricate the filler piece on the back of rifle? Could you post up some pics of that area for a better look-see?
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

High power u mentioned having die and tat for threading Ak barrel, would u happen to.rent it out?
    I really don't want to rent it, but I will make you a heck of a deal if you want to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    Thanks a lot, Highpower! Due to this thread, I went and bought me one last night ($450 OTD).

Although I'm planning on doing something a little different with mine. I've been kicking this idea around for a couple of months (ever since I first caught this thread, in other words) so I picked up a standard M70 front trunion off GB. That way, I don't have to mill out the stock one. I can just remove the old one and replace it with the other and do the other internal mods with a little more space to work.

I do have one question for you, how did you fabricate the filler piece on the back of rifle? Could you post up some pics of that area for a better look-see?
    This is the best picture I have right now. This version is still quite crude as I have been busy with setting up my motorcycle for my trip to Alaska this summer and just haven't had the time to redo it. I took a piece of 1/8" thick flat stock I had laying around and cut it to fit the area of the stock that wasn't covered by the receiver. As I mentioned earlier, the grip holds it in place.

You could also use some scrap walnut, glue it to the stock and shape it to fit. I think that it would look pretty good if done right.

If I wanted to refinish the receiver I would weld it in place. After refinishing you wouldn't be able to tell it was there.
    Last edited by Highpower; 02-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.

id love to buy the tat, handle and threader, lmk price please
    "Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking"
    Bill Maher

Follow up question. Rail on the top cover. Looking everything over, it looks to be riveted in place. Did you drill it out?
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    Follow up question. Rail on the top cover. Looking everything over, it looks to be riveted in place. Did you drill it out?
    I modified a Bulgarian cover. You have to remove about 3/4" from the front and make clearance cuts for the front trunnion on the left side and for the take down pin in the rear. It took me about 20 minuets to do the mods.

Cool, thanks!

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Love my PAP, but the HiCap has to happen. I don't trust myself to open the mag well, but I'll find a good smith to do. If I followed this thread correctly that and a new M70 bolt should do it right? Thanks all!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast