Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gots me a new bolt gun.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Wink Gots me a new bolt gun.

Went looking for something in .25-06, but stumbled across this Savage Edge in .270 that I really liked the feel and look of. I had recently read a couple of reviews on this rifle that were positive, so..... I brought it home. Hopefully I don't regret not paying the extra for the 110.

I'm kind of a sucker for SS, so since he had one, it's the one I selected. Obviously it needs a scope so I got a moderately priced Bushnell Trophy XLT in 3-9x40.

It's a Fudd gun obviously, but that's okay, cause I bought it for deer hunting.

Now the only problem is, I've only got 60 rounds of ammo for this thing. I'll have to start buying a few boxes each week and putting them back. What I got today was 150 grain soft points, not sure yet if I'd like the 130's better or not. I guess I'll have to try some to know.
    Returns June 3rd.

great guns from what i here,much more astectically pleasing than the ugly 110 series "collar nut",they were on sale here recently for like 279 in the usual cals at either cabelas or bass pro shop,whatda guive for a ss one?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Thats a sharp looking fudd gun.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    great guns from what i here,much more astectically pleasing than the ugly 110 series "collar nut",they were on sale here recently for like 279 in the usual cals at either cabelas or bass pro shop,whatda guive for a ss one?
    $359.00. But this was from a local mom and pop seller, not a big box. He has blued Edge rifles for $299.

The 4x4 I looked at was $389

Oh and Funky, thanks.

I'm just wanting to get to the range and shoot the thing.
    Returns June 3rd.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Shiney! I am impressed with the low cost. That's like taking a step back to 1980 for a bolt gun. I'll be interested to hear how it prints on paper. .270 is a nice chambering, pretty zippy for bullet speeds. Same shell holder for a reloading press as .30-06 since .270 was based off the .30-06 case.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Congrats! If it shoots anything like my Steven's bolts, it'll be great!

I will say though that my Stevens still in .270 definately favored certain loads over others... so if your initial groups are not as small as you would like, keep trying loads - you will probably find one it favors.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Shiney! I am impressed with the low cost. That's like taking a step back to 1980 for a bolt gun. I'll be interested to hear how it prints on paper. .270 is a nice chambering, pretty zippy for bullet speeds. Same shell holder for a reloading press as .30-06 since .270 was based off the .30-06 case.
    As I mentioned I've read lots of good reviews for the Edge, in fact, I've not run across anything negative. And yes, getting it to the range will tell a lot about it.

This thing should be pretty well weather proof between the SS and the plastic stock. Our deer seasons are often wet, so that won't hurt.

Right now I really need to figure out what bullet weight it does best with. I've got 3 boxes of Federal 150 grain soft point, and I picked up this afternoon 2 boxes of Winchester 130 grain Power Points. If one of these does well, I'll use it this season, if not I'll try some Hornady.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Congrats! If it shoots anything like my Steven's bolts, it'll be great!

I will say though that my Stevens still in .270 definately favored certain loads over others... so if your initial groups are not as small as you would like, keep trying loads - you will probably find one it favors.
    Thanks OSOK. I wanted to look at a Stevens, but oddly, we don't have a retailer here.

Like I was discussing with Shuetz, I'm going to try rounds till I find one that groups well. Surely something 130gr or bigger will work once I find the right brand.

I'm starting off with soft points since that's what I'm used to for deer out of the 30-30.
    Returns June 3rd.

I got one in 30-06 awhile back. It was the base model, so no stainless steal and no scope. I added a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x30 scope to it. In the manual I think it said it would like 150gr best, but I picked up several different grain weights just to see. I got 125gr soft point Federal, 150gr power point Winchester, 165gr SST by Hornady, and some more Federal soft point in 180gr.

Do to time, ammo price, and weather I have yet to shot it. Everything I have read seems to indicate a rifle that is capable of more accuracy than the average shooter can deliver. I heard the out of box rifles of today are as good, if not better than the super custom ones made back in the 50s/60s. Source, The Gun Digest Book of Long Range Shooting.

With my experience there has been one problem with it, the bolt handle can come up far enough to hit the scope. There is a scratch were it rubbed against it. There is enough play to get it back without hitting it, but I should not have to worry about smacking my scope. I’m fearful of losing my zero, or even damaging the optic. This is another reason I have not zeroed it yet.

I am kind of new with scoped bolt actions, so what would you guys do? If I went to a gun store could they raise/move it out of the way? Sorry Jefferson, don’t mean to hijack your thread. By the way, the ss does look nice on this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    I got one in 30-06 awhile back. It was the base model, so no stainless steal and no scope. I added a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x30 scope to it. In the manual I think it said it would like 150gr best, but I picked up several different grain weights just to see. I got 125gr soft point Federal, 150gr power point Winchester, 165gr SST by Hornady, and some more Federal soft point in 180gr.

Do to time, ammo price, and weather I have yet to shot it. Everything I have read seems to indicate a rifle that is capable of more accuracy than the average shooter can deliver. I heard the out of box rifles of today are as good, if not better than the super custom ones made back in the 50s/60s. Source, The Gun Digest Book of Long Range Shooting.

With my experience there has been one problem with it, the bolt handle can come up far enough to hit the scope. There is a scratch were it rubbed against it. There is enough play to get it back without hitting it, but I should not have to worry about smacking my scope. I’m fearful of losing my zero, or even damaging the optic. This is another reason I have not zeroed it yet.

I am kind of new with scoped bolt actions, so what would you guys do? If I went to a gun store could they raise/move it out of the way? Sorry Jefferson, don’t mean to hijack your thread. By the way, the ss does look nice on this gun.
    The rings they put on my rifle let the bolt clear by about a quarter inch. I'll take a pic later.

One thing about buying from a mom and pop vs a big box retailer. The old guy at Boggs Creek, mounted everything, was real picky about eye relief, and then bore sighted it for me. I find the extra service quite nice. He also said other customers who had the same rifle seemed to be favoring 150 grain bullets for what thats worth.
    Returns June 3rd.

Focused, yes I would put different rings on till you had the needed clearance.

I wouldn't want mine any closer than it is.

Returns June 3rd.

Ummm, shouldn't this read: Gots me son a new bolt gun?

Still, that's a real nice lookin' rifle.

I too have a thing for stainless steel firearms.

Rage

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Ummm, shouldn't this read: Gots me son a new bolt gun?

Still, that's a real nice lookin' rifle.

I too have a thing for stainless steel firearms.

Rage
    Nope, this ones mine. His will be blued, in either 25-06, or 243.
    Returns June 3rd.

Done! Went out today and traded in my medium rings with some new high ones. I now have ample clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    Done! Went out today and traded in my medium rings with some new high ones. I now have ample clearance.
    Excellent. Now get us a range report.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Nope, this ones mine. His will be blued, in either 25-06, or 243.
    LOL!

Rage

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    LOL!

Rage
    Yeah, Matt knows I intend to buy 2 new rifles, one for his use. When I showed him this one he asked if it was his. I said nah, I think this ones mine, it's too purty for a kid. For some reason he didn't grasp the humor.
    Returns June 3rd.

Nice rifle, nice caliber, but... You are planning on using a stainless steel rifle with a shiny silver scope and mounts for hunting? You may as well hang some mirrors and tinfoil off that thing with all the flashing it will be doing. I don't know how the deer are where you live, but out here they see shiny things like that and run the other direction.

Spray paint is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post
    Nice rifle, nice caliber, but... You are planning on using a stainless steel rifle with a shiny silver scope and mounts for hunting? You may as well hang some mirrors and tinfoil off that thing with all the flashing it will be doing. I don't know how the deer are where you live, but out here they see shiny things like that and run the other direction.

Spray paint is your friend.
    I hear you, I have thought of painting it. But, usually this time of year it's mostly overcast, plus I hunt from either a blind, or a tree stand. I don't think I've ever had a deer look up at me when on the stand.
    Returns June 3rd.

What you might want to try to wrap your rifle. Rip up some old burlap sacks or rags, and loosely wrap it like a mummy. Just make sure you can still operate the key components, like the trigger or bolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast