Thread: Mossberg 590 stocks

Mossberg 590 stocks

The recent Brownells add got me thinking of changing stocks on my 590A1... Though mayhaps I should get an M9 bayonet first. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...k?mc_id=410000

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/974...ynthetic-black

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've read that you can't get a sight picture with those stocks unless your using a red dot or some other raised sight, which I don't.

One upon a time I tried a lot of aftermarket shotgun stocks before deciding that the original was best. Only problem I have with the factory buttstock on a 590 is its length. About an inch shorter is perfect for me.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Have you looked into Speedfeed? I have a Speedfeed III stock on my 870 and it's by far the best feeling stock i've ever had on a shotgun. A small warning though, if you have short arms, you will want to look into the short Speedfeed stocks. Most people who have small or average arms find the Speedfeed stocks a bit too long, but if your the type of person who enjoys NATO length stocks on any of your AK's, the Speedfeed will fit like a dream.

My .02

Well, I find that I've gotten used to using my AR-15 with the stock 2 notches out, and when I try to shoulder the 590 it catches on my shoulder... Just a bit too long in the stock for 'tactical' use.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I've read that you can't get a sight picture with those stocks unless your using a red dot or some other raised sight, which I don't.

One upon a time I tried a lot of aftermarket shotgun stocks before deciding that the original was best. Only problem I have with the factory buttstock on a 590 is its length. About an inch shorter is perfect for me.
    Mossberg offers a youth stock on the 590. We bought these for our duty shotguns. The guys really like them. Much better ergos for room clearing, etc.

I cut about an 1" off the length of my M590A1 not long after I first got it. I removed the buttpad, used a dremel to cut the stock (I think a hack saw would have worked better), used a file to clean it up an make sure it was level, and then re-installed the butt pad. Works great! I don't understand why the come so long from the factory.

+1 on the speedfeed. I've tried alot of stocks on my 590 and I kept going back to factory until I tried the speedfeed. It also allows you to still be able to actuate the slide release with your trigger finger. Alot of pistol grip stocks force you to use your thumb.

I've got a speedfeed stock on my 590 and like it.

- Change it back -

I wouldn't put a p-grip stock on my 590 - can't use the safety very well.

Good point vit, it is the one gun I use a safety on... Well, I use the safety on my AR as well. The rest are range toys, or don't have a manual safety.