Thread: Went Shooting Today

Went Shooting Today

Took my U-I-L (Uncle-in-law) Raymond and his girl friend out shooting, well they took me, out towards Picacho peak. This is where their father grew up. On the way, we found the remnants of concrete structures, pillars and walls. Possibly for mining long ago. Then we found a nice berm, with several doors sitting there, perfect for targets.

I measured out 50yds and we set up the toys! First thing I did was finally test fire my Bulgy AH-74M build, as prescribed, then inserted a full mag and in the sitting position, with the KOBRA mounted, fired rapid follow ups thru the whole mag. 21 were within a 4" circle, low and to the left. One thing I noticed, on how quiet it was, I could clearly hear the bolt carrier and spring cycle. Overall, I am one happy camper with this rifle!

Then we all got busy, his girlfriend, who has never fied a gun in her life, fied the M4 first, and liked it, but she really liked the AK-74M, and she was putting some on paper!
    Raymond first tried the M4 and he liked it a lot, same goes for the AK. But he really lit up when I got him on the PKM!!! He was just peppering that berm. G/F didn't want to get dirty so didn't try it.

I pulled out the Dragunov, just to show them, neither wanted to shoot it, so standing, I shot a 2" group with ten rounds. We also set up a couple of Tannerite targets and made BOOM!

Raymond is celebrating going from stage 4 colon cancer just 6 months ago, to being in remission!!!

Sad news, camera battery died, so no pics. But here is a pic of the -74M
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice looking weapon. Sounds like you had a great day at the range.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Sounds like a fun day, weather was pretty warm here in phoenix, should have been a little cooler where you were.

Picacho Peak is the site of the only civil war battle fought in arizona.

I've always wanted to fire a dragunov, never had a chance to fire the one my son had before he sold it. He bought it from some crazy russian guy he went to U of A with.
    Last edited by davepool; 10-16-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Sounds like a fun day, weather was pretty warm here in phoenix, should have been a little cooler where you were.

Picacho Peak is the site of the only civil war battle fought in arizona.

I've always wanted to fire a dragunov, never had a chance to fire the one my son had before he sold it. He bought it from some crazy russian guy he went to U of A with.
    Really about the war between the states, in AZ? Explain please.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Picacho+Peak

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Really about the war between the states, in AZ? Explain please.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice rifle!

I enjoy my Kobra as well.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I didn't know that about Picacho Peak! Neat little bit of history! I wish I had a metal detector! My GFIL's old ranch is right there, they owned several thousand acres at one point, all gone now.

Dave, you ever make it up to 'Vegas? We could go hit the range there.
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    I didn't know that about Picacho Peak! Neat little bit of history! I wish I had a metal detector! My GFIL's old ranch is right there, they owned several thousand acres at one point, all gone now.

Dave, you ever make it up to 'Vegas? We could go hit the range there.

Don't feel bad, my Grandma's family used to own half of St. Joesph Island.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Offers still on the table ATAK if you feel like doing some shooting up north in the Prescott area. My buddy and I have some SBR's and a suppressor (all 3 always get people smiling ear to ear).