Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Campfire Coffee

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Campfire Coffee

The old dented and fire scorched coffee pot is on the fire, grounds are in the percolator and its almost stiff enough to hold a spoon upright. Hotcakes in the frying pan and the bacon is sitting in the covered dish. You'd better get it quick before the dog finds it.

Maple syrup in the crock pot and Honey in the glass jar, take your pick. It's a new day and a new pot of Folgers, not fancy but it will make your hair grow and your legs dance through the morning chores. Somebody split the wood and put water on to heat up for washing the dishes, we got things to do before the sun gets much higher.

It's a wonderful day, the Burr oak trees have changed color but stubbornly hang onto their leaves, the Birch trees turned yellow and dropped theirs in the wind last night. The Sumac is so red it almost hurts your eyes to look at them because of the contrast with all the brown muted foliage around them.

Grab your tin mug and pour you some jitter bean juice, lets get this thread going.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Ah... fresh coffee....

BT... If I ship some meat using USPS express you might have it without maggots in just 4 days.. I could just put "dead sweed" on he label. That way it should make it through the customs, and it would explain the smell.

7 coworkers and myself went to the gocart track yesterday. Spend the night in Oslo. Than was more or less a total disaster. 4 sweeds and 4 norwegians trying to get first. Half of us got the black flag and had to make a pit stop. Got damn it, those tracks are so narrow you HAVE to use your bumbers and fists to pass. Cant see why that should be a problem as long as we are having fun. Worst part... a got damn sweed won both heats.

October has been very nice this year. Cold and sunny with a clear blue sky. Perfect for hunting. Hopefully I can go for a little deer hunt soon. But I recon work and all piles up and makes it impossible. Been a busy year, I hope it stays that way. Got to find room for a USA trip though.

Tried the Walker yet OG?
    Religion... mans victory over common sense...........

Had to go to a store about 40 miles away and order the right sized balls, still waiting on them. They grossly underestimated the time it would take them to be delivered. Time to get a few molds for the 3 sizes I use and just make my own. It sat on my desk for 2 weeks ready to be loaded up but now it's back in storage till I actually get them.

Why do Swedes spoil after they die and Norwegians don't?

It's almost impossible to convince a Norwegian he is dead but Swedes get it right away.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Yea the maggots may be pretty nutritious, supposedly better for you than the meat. But no thanks.

Im almost to the end of week 2 on this super low carb diet, and I feel smarter. It may be just a hallucination but I seem to be accomplishing more with less struggle... especially the thinking kind of work. The readings on my meter have been as promised 70s-low 80s fasting and not above 100 even after eating in a week.

Soon I can add back some different varieties of foods. I got coconut oil in the mail today, not bad... the diet says to use it instead of butter or margarine.

Anyway medically retired son and his wife are due to arrive this weekend. It will be nice to have them around, they plan on living here. All sons but one will be right in the neighborhood.

Might have to take a closer look at the diet I'm supposed to be on If you are doing so good by behaving and following yours. Problem is 6 decades of bad habits is harder to overcome then giving up smoking and drinking was.

I'm happy to see you are gathering the clan around you, I wish I could but it isn't going to happen. I hope there retired son is doing well, I remember the saga when the issue first came up.

You all have a real good weekend.

THUCYDIDES.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    What is the meaning of life...

Family. You will find it there. It don't have to be blood either. Make your life revolve around family. Insert good friends as well, espescially if family ain't possible.

It's the only answer I keep finding.

I'm glad you're going to have most of your boys near by Kathy.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Hunting deer today. It's forked horn or better to legally take a deer during general rifle season. Today I saw a buck with two small spikes, an 8 point bull elk at 50 meters (he had some friends in the timber with him, but he was the only one I could see clearly), and later that day a coyote paying me no mind 30 yards up the trail with his nose to the dirt. Great nature walk, but still came up empty. Heard a shot not too far from where I ran into the elk herd. Drizzled on me all morning. Feet stayed dry though!
    Last edited by btcave; 10-26-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Happy hunting BTcave, Im happy for son still in Colorado. He is really enjoying life there. He loves the Air Force and his new bride.

OG yes diet is everything with DB. Look at the foods on the doc I sent you, you wont go hungry and it can be delicious break out your crock pot... chicken soup chili and stew are the main dishes Im cooking. It drives the poor dogs out of their little minds to smell something yummy cooking all day. My BS has been on average in the 80s low 90s all week.

Here is something interesting, look this over closely. It will help you figure out which foods to avoid.

http://www.mendosa.com/DiabetesAndDiet.pdf

blah..... work is highly over rated.... it ruins a lot of spare time. Thats for sure...

Nothing new over here. Moose hunt is over and the freezer I bought is FULL, thats about it.

Black powder competition again on saturday. Think Ill bring an old Win 1886 and blast away like Zeb Macahan and add a couple farts as a grand finale.

I hope your deer hunting ends up with a clean shot in the end BT. You should have some tender meat in the freezer when the winter arrives.... oh shit. That reminds me.. I have a salted moose heart hangin outside. Wonder if its still there. Damn crows are everywhere if you dont wave them away with a shotgun once in a while.

How is that Walker project going OG? And Kathy, when do you hire me as your chef?

How is that Walker project going OG? And Kathy, when do you hire me as your chef?
    Been a month and still waiting for my balls to show up. I did do some black powder with the ROA yesterday. I think I posted it on here somewhere. Look in the general firearms section for it. Going squirrel hunting tomorrow if it doesn't rain on me and I am going to use it for my squirrel gun. If you don't see me posting again you will know that the game warden didn't like my choice of guns.

THUCYDIDES.

Ahh. So you are bringing that 10 gauge for them big rascals. Be careful, they might jump up and bite your knee and then hide in your beard.

Nope bringing the Ruger Old Army. Not to worry about my beard, I just trimmed it this morning and it will be hard for them to hide in it. Before I trimmed it they could have hid in it easily. Now that you mention the 10 gauge I haven't shot it for awhile, guess what I will shoot this afternoon.

THUCYDIDES.

Uff Da, just came in from outside after shooting a 22 match on another forum and I am fried, no 10 gauge today, nothing more potent than a squirt gun till tomorrow at the earliest. Stupid weather is killing me. 29 this morning, 52 this afternoon, one minute its cloudy and sprinkling and the next minute the sun is so bright I can't hardly see. North of me they are getting rain mixed with snow, at least I dodged that bullet. I think this is what they call Norwegian weather, if you don't like it wait a minute.

THUCYDIDES.

LOL:

Good morning, no power at my house for days... the dogs are more upset than anyone, they will have to miss their shows during the day while I work.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    LOL:
    Good morning, no power at my house for days... the dogs are more upset than anyone, they will have to miss their shows during the day while I work.
    Bummer, I didn't think of you getting caught up in the power shortage. Are you staying warm? I can handle dark, listening to battery radio and cooking on Coleman stove but getting cold with no way to heat the house is a major downer. I hope you are alright.

THUCYDIDES.

Thanks Old Grump, Im ok. Its my beta fish who is the most anxious to get power, I cant heat him and I know he likes it above 32 degrees.

I bundle up and ive been warm enough, wool socks are the best...the last couple of days nights have been in the 20s. But starting tonight it will be a balmy 38 or so, heat wave!

My new Daughter in law who just came from Texas is a little shocked. She brought orchids, I dont think they are going to make it. We will get her more once they get settled a small indoor greenhouse will keep them toasty.

Thanks Old Grump, Im ok. Its my beta fish who is the most anxious to get power, I cant heat him and I know he likes it above 32 degrees.

I bundle up and ive been warm enough, wool socks are the best...the last couple of days nights have been in the 20s. But starting tonight it will be a balmy 38 or so, heat wave!

My new Daughter in law who just came from Texas is a little shocked. She brought orchids, I dont think they are going to make it. We will get her more once they get settled a small indoor greenhouse will keep them toasty.

Yeah Beta is probably a goner, a regular aquarium with a tank heater is nice but no electric means no pump and no heater and no light. Unless the beta is young and healthy look for ich to appear as soon as he warms up again, you might want to try dropping a multi vitamin in his replacement water and giving him a little dose of that every time you change his water out. A pinch of uniodized salt would help him get over the shock and it helps to fight the ich.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Yeah Beta is probably a goner, a regular aquarium with a tank heater is nice but no electric means no pump and no heater and no light. Unless the beta is young and healthy look for ich to appear as soon as he warms up again, you might want to try dropping a multi vitamin in his replacement water and giving him a little dose of that every time you change his water out. A pinch of uniodized salt would help him get over the shock and it helps to fight the ich.
    Thanks! Power came back on last night. The Beta is so far still alive, but he wont eat. The dogs are enjoying the warmth and their shows again.

Loosing power for days eh?.... thats what we call "tingenes iboende faanskap". Lets see if OG can translate that. I dont know if I can myself.

I must have missed like 100 cops of coffee. I know that you can apply for a CC license OG. Am I correct? I guess you couldn`t care less as you carry your arsenal arround your property all day long. The squirrels... how are they doing? Still alive and laughing at ya?

I changed to winter tires today. The ground is starting to freeze. You never know when the first snowfall hits you like a ton of stone. Mounted two new xenon lights on my truck too, so king winter can suck my smelly socks.

Im going to the western parts tomorrow so both tires and lights are needed. I hope the mountain crossing is open. There has been a few blizzards up there allready, but I think its open tomorrow. Might be the last deer hunting trip this year. Still two bucks out there that we can put in our freezer.

Im turning 41 in 14 days or so. And it makes me cheerfull. 41 sounds younger than 40 to me so I will be a kid for a year. Oh.. and guess what OG. You dont have to sharpen your pencils. My voice is getting better. Im not Pavarotti by far, but Im not like an anaconda either.

Dina and five of her friends had a Halloween party on sunday.... Iv been at some darn noisy places in my life, but those small girls allmost killed me. If you ignited two pounds of blackpowder 3" from your nose that would have sounded like Jennifer Aniston breaking winds compared to those girls. And when the "candy bar" opened all hell broke loose. Cute creatures.... Beside that everything is quiet over here.

How is the deer hunting business these days BT?

Have a great one everybody

Thanks! Power came back on last night. The Beta is so far still alive, but he wont eat. The dogs are enjoying the warmth and their shows again.
    30% water change. 1/3 tsp of uniodized salt and leave him alone for a few days then try feeding him. It's in shock and his system is shut down so there is no way he can eat. A week without food won't hurt him. It's just a wait and see game now, unfortunately if he was mature when you bought him you have no idea how old he is or how hardy. After going through a mess of them I finally bought young ones, didn't have a clue to what color they would be and dropped them in my regular aquarium one per aquarium. Much better as long as they weren't with fish they could bully like mollies or baby angelfish.

Norski, glad we can hear you now. "tingenes iboende faanskap" if it's spelled Faenskap it would be on the order of inherent the devil. Faanskap is not in my books and I can't find it on the net either. 6 preteen girls in one house having fun, you deserve a medal.

No squirrels, it has been raining, raining and more rain, up north of me where I used to come from and a lot of my relatives still live it's snowing so I guess I prefer the rain. The two nice days we had David and I worked outside in the yard trying to clean things up before we get hit. This weekend I am going to get some wood and he doesn't know it yet but he is going to build his snow shelter so he doesn't have to wait outside in the weather for the school bus. It won't be fancy but it will be his labor putting it together. 16th birthday today so he is getting up there in age and its time he learned a little more tool handling and construction technique.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast