Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robinson M-96 report. Fun time, memory challenge!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Robinson M-96 report. Fun time, memory challenge!

First and foremost, I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BECOME A BASH MR. ROBINSON THREAD!!!!
    I will delete or edit any thread that doesn't pertain to Robinson firearms. I don't care about his political bent. This thread is about the rifles that he allowed us to have at a time nobody else dared try!

I have one of the very first of the M-96 Expeditionary rifles from Robinson, and have to admit the copy of the old Stoner is really a treat to shoot.

I had not had it out in years, and am glad I did take it out to play with. Recoil is almost zero mostly due to it's weight, but also the recoil system and adjustable gas system.

We were shooting at about 50 yards and I had no problem keeping it on target and shooting pretty good groups off hand for my old eyes! Ammo was Sellier & Bellot marked .223 55gr. I had zero problems all day, and have to say I am saddened that Robarms didn't follow through with this great rifle.

Now the other part, cleaning the rifle. Since I hadn't had it out in many years, it took a while to remember how it came apart. (Why use a manual right? ) I did remember that the bolt had to be locked back before trying to remove the barrel, and then to release it slowly so as not to damage anything.

Then remember that the gas tube has to be twisted to allow a pin to align with a slot and then pull it out.

And then remember that there is a button on the bolt carrier to push that disengages it from the recoil rod/spring assembly. Unfortunately when I pushed the button and pulled the recoil rod out, I forgot that it was the only thing holding the bolt and carrier in the rifle. Luckily it landed on the mat I stand on and not the concrete floor just inches away!

Once apart it is a breeze to clean. Having the barrel apart from the rifle allows the easy cleaning of the bolt locking collar as opposed to the AR-15 that has the same set-up but hard to get to in the receiver.

I have to say that the M-96 might be a bit over-built and heavier than the AR-15 which is probably why this Stoner design didn't make it, but it is a really nice rifle!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

I will delete or edit any thread that doesn't pertain to Robinson firearms.
    imanaknut, is a little history of the Stoner M69W, Stoner 62 and Stoner 63 alright ??

Wart

I always wanted one of those... and it's cousin, the Bushmaster Auto Rifle. For some reason I just love the simplicity.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    imanaknut, is a little history of the Stoner M69W, Stoner 62 and Stoner 63 alright ??

Wart
    Of course since the Robinson is an almost Stoner 63 if I remember correctly.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It appears to bear some similarities to the Galil (or the Galil bears some similaritites to the 96). Nice looking rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Of course since the Robinson is an almost Stoner 63 if I remember correctly.
    ......heavier than the AR-15 which is probably why this Stoner design didn't make it.......
    The SEAL Teams used the Stoner 63 with great effectiveness in Vietnam.

The Marines wanted to buy thousands of Stoner 63's but the CONGRESS refused to allow the Marines to make the purchase.......that's why the design "didn't make it".

Now a little history......hopefully not boring.

Stoner loathed the 5.56 round for military use. Stoner designed the AR-10 in 7.62 at ArmaLite but two guys named Bob Fremont and Jim Sullivan designed the AR-15/M16.

Stoner leaves ArmaLite and winds up at Cadillac Gage where he designed the M69W, Stoner 62.......you guessed it....in 7.62.
    Cadillac Gage decides to move from 7.62 to 5.56 and guess who came to that dinner.....Bob Fremont and Jim Sullivan who did the design for the Stoner 63.

Eugene Stoner by any account was one heckuva engineer. Those that worked with him said he was also a great guy.

Stoner did eventually design two weapons in 5.56 (one was the Stoner 86 LMG but I cannot remember the other) but neither was ever produced. He finished his career with Knight's Armament where his final design was the SR-25.....in 7.62 of course.

Jim Sullivan went on to design the ULTIMAX LMG for Singapore as well as the Ruger Mini-14 and Model 77 for Bill Ruger. Both the Mini-14 and the Model 77 have sold well over 1,000,000 each. Certainly a testament to the design skills of Mr. Sullivan.

Wart

Thanks for the history lesson Wart!!!! I might be an AK-nut, and a Beretta 92 nut but any more and my head would explode. Nice to hear from others on the history of these great firearms!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson Wart!!!! I might be an AK-nut, and a Beretta 92 nut but any more and my head would explode. Nice to hear from others on the history of these great firearms!
    thank ya...thank ya verr ra much (Elvis voice).

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    It appears to bear some similarities to the Galil (or the Galil bears some similaritites to the 96). Nice looking rifle.
    Of course the Galil is rooted in the AK.

Wart

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Only in as much as it's kind of squarish in shape.

I would also say I really wanted one of these when they came out. Esepecially so when they said they were going to make a belt fed upper for it using the SAW links. I waited for them to get that version done then I was going to buy one. AS we all know, Robarms never got it developed that far. They did come out with a Bren Gun type upper to feed the mags from above so you can get really low to the ground.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 10-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I looked at one of these at cabela's the other week. Fit and finish was very dissapointing, for what they used to run you would expect a bit more polish.

i had one from the first run, sold It to Noah years ago.

Good solid gun.

Internals were exactly the same as the beretta AR-70 I had, Except some of the M-96 parts were less robust.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

.....the beretta AR-70 I had.....
    You ever find any magazines for your AR-70 ??

Wart

Damn it to hell!

I can't afford an AR in 7.62, but I still have my fantasies

AR in 7.62 is next on my list!

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    You ever find any magazines for your AR-70 ??

Wart
    yea lots of places have em.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I always wanted one.

When the '94 ban expired, I was waiting for ever for a model to come out with a bayo lug, threaded barrel and a folding stock.....of course it never happened.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I have two of the first run. What was the deal with the parts recall? Do you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    I always wanted one.

When the '94 ban expired, I was waiting for ever for a model to come out with a bayo lug, threaded barrel and a folding stock.....of course it never happened.

I wanted the BRen setup for mine BUT the Price IIRC $755 for just the barrel was insane.
    on the recall mine had the entire FCG and ejector replaced.

Would I do it again IF the price was right... YEP
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

If I remember correctly, there was something changed in the bolt carrier, and as noted above, a part replaced in the trigger group.

Also the early ones had issues with the design of the operating rod. The way it was made, it could break. Mine did break but it didn't stop the rifle from shooting. I honestly don't remember how I was still able to load a round, but it did cycle and fire. The people at Robinson were really nice about the fix. I had the replacement part in my mailbox only two days after I made the call to them to report the problem. I was pleasantly surprised!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast