Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So who all has a gun mounted light?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question So who all has a gun mounted light?

How about some pics of your gun/flashlight setups? Had some gift cards for Sportsmans Warehouse so ordered a Streamlight TLR-3. Only cost me $12.95 (cost of shipping) so figured I'd check it out. I've got a G35 and a G29 I'm thinking of trying it on. In fact the G35 with my Lone Wolf 9x19 conversion barrel and a 32rd mag with the TLR-3 may be my new nightstand gun.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Have a Surefire 951 on my M4 and an X200 on my G22. Department is moving to the M21SF and issuing the TLR-1. I'd say I'm hooked on the weapons mounted light.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Have a Streamlight M3 I put on whichever Glock I'm using. Have a Streamlight light/laser on a M&P 15-22 for nocturnal pest assassination, I live in the country. Many poor possum and armadillo babies were made to be raised in one parent families thanks to that light/laser/rifle combo.

Have a Surefire Millennium on my AR, ill post pics later today.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

i've got a TLR-2 on my G22. i like its good runtime and brightness. plus it's durable as hell!

it will pick up eyes at night well past the pistols effective range, like out to about 120-30yds. (i live in the country too)
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Question

I was just gonna ask this same question.

My next planned purchase is a P226 and I was wondering what all you guys are mounting on your pistols.

Are Surefire's worth the extra money over Streamlight or Insight or ????
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

My Mossberg 700 with Streamlight TLR-1

Also my Sig P250 with TLR-3. Like them both and have had no problems from either one.
    Both are bright enough for me.

Last edited by shotdown61; 10-28-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have a light on my AR piston drive Carbine. Sorry no images of it equiped as such. It hangs off the right rail and is timed to put the on off tail cap button in front of my left thumb when holding the forward grip. It is a Chicom made LED light, 700 lumens. It will blind anybody in front of it with their eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by shotdown61 View Post

My Mossberg 700 with Streamlight TLR-1
    Have you busted your cheekbone on that yet? We T&E'd those Knoxx stocks...didn't find them very user friendly. Although we use ghost rings. The red dot may help.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

S&W M&P9 with ITI/Streamlight M3X...

The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Have you busted your cheekbone on that yet? We T&E'd those Knoxx stocks...didn't find them very user friendly. Although we use ghost rings. The red dot may help.
    Absolutely love mine!!!

The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[IMG][/IMG]
    The light does not have the IR filter on it now. Have it mounted as such because I do not have and cannot find a pressure switch for it and so I have to use my thumb while holding the magwell to operate it.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have a couple of Glock tac lights. They are not the brightest but the price was right at the time and they fit my Springfields like a glove.

What I really like about them is two things: 1) they act like a "gross" laser - the bullet will strike the lower portion of the light circle, so you can aim without having the gun in frontal position. 2) the light blinds the bad guy

Oh, an one more thing about these tac lights, they have toggle switches that allow you to turn them on and off quickly without moving your hands on the gun - just use your index finger.

They are also quite rugged - which you would expect from Glock.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Have a Streamlight on my XD-45 Tac nightstand gun. Bright, and seems to be well made.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    No cheekbone damage, but your right without a rail and site to get your head up you cant even look down the barrel.
    There is no stock comb to speak of so you have to just point and shot.
    I just painted it and install the rail and red dot that came with my sig 556 but have yet to zero it in. But at least when you pull it up you have something to look at.
    Replaced the red dot for a EOtech for the sig but not sure if there red dot will hold up to a 12ga.Only time will tell

Question

Are Surefire's worth the money?

Or are they just as good as all the other's ?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Are Surefire's worth the money?

Or are they just as good as all the other's ?
    I guess it's all in who you ask. I believe them to be a bit tougher but that is based on what others have told me and what I have read more than experience. I have used the same X200 for about 5 or 6 years now. It has never failed me but I have also never seen it catch a round or go flying out of my vehicle and skid down the pavement only to have me put it back on the weapon and it work. I have heard such stories though. I know one of the guys I work with has the TLR2 and it had some issues with the bulb burning out. He has only had his for three years and had work done on it 3 or 4 times. It seems like his does not, battery-wise, last as long as mine. Much to my chagrin, my department has decided to issue to all Officers the TLR1. This was ENTIRELY based on cost. Yes... the Streamlight is considerably cheaper than the Surefire. The controls of the Streamlight are a bit different from the Surefire. Streamlight guys, correct me if I am wrong... the Streamlight has one switch for ON/OFF constant on one side and the Momentary ON/OFF on the other. The Surefire is either side... flip the switch up or down = ON, flip the switch back to center position = OFF, push the switch forward = Momentary. The Surefire is much easier to remove but I have never had it fall off. The Streamlight had this little locking cam (or whatever it is called) that needs a screwdriver or coin edge to turn it to remove.

I do not like the M900 but love my M951. I have a lot of experience with these as well. I have used various versions of them for about 10 to 12 years. I do not like the M900 as I feel like... if the light goes bad in a SHTF situation and I want to keep my forward pistol grip, I still have to keep the light (and the extra weight) on there. With the M951 being more of a modular system, I can choose what FPG style I want and, if the light fails, just pop it off the weapon, dropping the dead weight, and still have the FPG. Looking seriously at the Crimson Trace MVF-515. Seems to cover the bases... not much bigger than just a FPG, lighter than the M900 or the M951... and has a laser all in the same package. Just don't know how rugged it is. Granted, the M900 does have little LED navigation lights that come in several different colors and can appeal to many people. I have never used them on ours but some of the guys do and had to send a few M900's back to Surefire because the LEDs failed.

Ok... enough from me. Anybody else?
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I've got a factory one for my G20 but don't actually have it mounted at the moment.

Here is a Surefire G2L on my 74. I'm a lefty.

Last edited by Bluedog; 10-29-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast