Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So who all has a gun mounted light?

Here's a TLR-1 on my M4. I rattle can my TLRs to get rid of all that bling.

"if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    I guess it's all in who you ask. I believe them to be a bit tougher but that is based on what others have told me and what I have read more than experience. I have used the same X200 for about 5 or 6 years now. It has never failed me but I have also never seen it catch a round or go flying out of my vehicle and skid down the pavement only to have me put it back on the weapon and it work. I have heard such stories though. I know one of the guys I work with has the TLR2 and it had some issues with the bulb burning out. He has only had his for three years and had work done on it 3 or 4 times. It seems like his does not, battery-wise, last as long as mine. Much to my chagrin, my department has decided to issue to all Officers the TLR1. This was ENTIRELY based on cost. Yes... the Streamlight is considerably cheaper than the Surefire. The controls of the Streamlight are a bit different from the Surefire. Streamlight guys, correct me if I am wrong... the Streamlight has one switch for ON/OFF constant on one side and the Momentary ON/OFF on the other. The Surefire is either side... flip the switch up or down = ON, flip the switch back to center position = OFF, push the switch forward = Momentary. The Surefire is much easier to remove but I have never had it fall off. The Streamlight had this little locking cam (or whatever it is called) that needs a screwdriver or coin edge to turn it to remove.

I do not like the M900 but love my M951. I have a lot of experience with these as well. I have used various versions of them for about 10 to 12 years. I do not like the M900 as I feel like... if the light goes bad in a SHTF situation and I want to keep my forward pistol grip, I still have to keep the light (and the extra weight) on there. With the M951 being more of a modular system, I can choose what FPG style I want and, if the light fails, just pop it off the weapon, dropping the dead weight, and still have the FPG. Looking seriously at the Crimson Trace MVF-515. Seems to cover the bases... not much bigger than just a FPG, lighter than the M900 or the M951... and has a laser all in the same package. Just don't know how rugged it is. Granted, the M900 does have little LED navigation lights that come in several different colors and can appeal to many people. I have never used them on ours but some of the guys do and had to send a few M900's back to Surefire because the LEDs failed.

Ok... enough from me. Anybody else?
    Thanks man.

Before I buy something, I will defiantly be asking about it on here.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Are Surefire's worth the money?

Or are they just as good as all the other's ?
    They are not all that expensive. A surefire G2l is probably all the light you need and can be had for $60-70. Throw one in a cheap V-Tac mount and you're done. It has a press for momentary, twist for constant switch that is the best there is, and is built tough.

Over at arfcom, everyone has a hard on for 220-300 lumen lights, but those fools have no idea what to do with them. Even the 85 Lumen G2L is a little too bright for home defense. Something got my dog riled at 3am a few months back and I grabbed my M4 and headed downstairs after her. I gave the steps a quick strobe and had the image burned into my eyes for several minutes.

I can't tell the difference in brightness between a 140 lumen TLR-1, a 100 lumen Pentegonlight, and the 85 lumen G2L. I do know that a 65 lumen incandescent bulb in my Surefire 660 will light up a reflective sign 100 yards from my house, and none of the LEDs will.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

I have a Surefire X300 on a Sig 229-best one I have used. X200 is good. I have a TLR2 on a G19, excellent. I have a TLR1 on a G21, also excellent. The only light I have on a long gun is a Surefire G2 incandescent on an AR. Its ok for what it is.
    Last edited by TEN-32; 10-29-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Have it mounted as such because I do not have and cannot find a pressure switch for it and so I have to use my thumb while holding the magwell to operate it.
    This auction starts at 99 cents:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-Remote-Pressure-Tape-Switch-P60-Lamp-Assembly-Bulb-NEW-M951-M952-/220883127488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336da9 0cc0"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Here is a Surefire G2L on my 74. I'm a lefty.

What kind of mount is that?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Cool

Thanks for all the input guys, a lot of great info and hands on experience.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    What kind of mount is that?
    It's a clamp on barrel rail from ebay, costs about 4 bucks, and an offset weaver ring from my parts bin.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I can't tell the difference in brightness between a 140 lumen TLR-1, a 100 lumen Pentegonlight, and the 85 lumen G2L. I do know that a 65 lumen incandescent bulb in my Surefire 660 will light up a reflective sign 100 yards from my house, and none of the LEDs will.
    Both of my lights have incandescent bulbs but some of my flashlights have LEDs. Inside this doesn't matter. Outside foggy/misty conditions break up the soft light of LEDs and scatter the light sideways causing the light to not go very far forward. If this happens with incandescent, it is to a much lesser degree.

I have decided to not purchase any LED tac lights. If I lived in town this probably would not be a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Both of my lights have incandescent bulbs but some of my flashlights have LEDs. Inside this doesn't matter. Outside foggy/misty conditions break up the soft light of LEDs and scatter the light sideways causing the light to not go very far forward. If this happens with incandescent, it is to a much lesser degree.

I have decided to not purchase any LED tac lights. If I lived in town this probably would not be a consideration.
    The good news about that is you can get Surefire 660s, Pentagonlight xenons, and standard G2s in Ebay for under 50 bucks, as they are no longer Tacti-cool. For outside work, Try a surefire 9P as well. It has the longer body and uses 3 cr123s. It puts out 120 lumens from a bulb (has to be the 9P)and has tremendous throw.

That's a Surefire 660 on my tactical jew that I got in Ebay for about 50 bucks shipped. It came with the retro barrel mount and all the junk you pay 300 bucks for now.

The good news about that is you can get Surefire 660s, Pentagonlight xenons, and standard G2s in Ebay for under 50 bucks, as they are no longer Tacti-cool. For outside work, Try a surefire 9P as well. It has the longer body and uses 3 cr123s. It puts out 120 lumens from a bulb (has to be the 9P)and has tremendous throw.
    definitely good to hear

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Thanks for the info, I'm going to imitate your AK-74 mount but on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to imitate your AK-74 mount but on the left.
    You'll like the position, but everyone knows, you always lay an AK on its left side, due to the charging handle. Further proof that the AK is a left handed gun.

You'll like the position, but everyone knows, you always lay an AK on its left side, due to the charging handle. Further proof that the AK is a left handed gun.
    Especially with the charging handle flying in your face with every shot ;-).
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

FedEx showed it as "delivered" so I ran home at lunch and tried out my new TLR-3. Don't know why it shipped with the key installed for a Springfield XD but be prepared to swap it out before you can try it if that's not your intended platform.

Only took a couple of minutes to read the manual and install the "C" key for use on Glock pistols. Fit perfectly on both my G35 and G29 though it does overhang the muzzle on the G29. I prefer it on the G35 since it doesn't add to the overall length of the pistol.

I brought the gun and light back to work so I can check it in the warehouse and with all the lights out it illuminates the entire length of the warehouse (about 120') quite well. Even at that distance I could easily identify a target with this light.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it and it doesn't add much weight at all. Thumbs up so far.

Tried it in the back yard last night, we have no street lights or anything and just with the light alone I could cover all of the half acre or so inside my fence quite nicely as well as into the woods beyond. I'm pleased with it though I notice that while they say it has a 90 minute run time at 60 minutes the lumens start dropping pretty quick so the last 10-15 minutes of battery life your only looking at about 10% of initial lumination. Still not too bad for the money and it's intended use. Where I mounting this on a duty weapon I might go for something with a brighter light and a longer run time.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 11-03-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I've got the Streamlight TLR-3 on my M&P.40. The Streamlight does what I need it to do, and I'm very satisfied with the quality. Is the Surefire worth the extra money? For me....no. If I were a Navy Seal I would demand the Surefire...but I'm not. I'm just Joe Sixpack with a nightstand gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    Especially with the charging handle flying in your face with every shot ;-).
    Not even remotely distracting.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

It's a clamp on barrel rail from ebay, costs about 4 bucks, and an offset weaver ring from my parts bin.
    Thanks.

Does the excess clamp material along the top of the gas tube interfere with sight picture at all when using irons?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Thanks.

Does the excess clamp material along the top of the gas tube interfere with sight picture at all when using irons?
    No. Can't even see it when sighting. It stays good and tight to. If you want to have that pure AK look from time to time, I would recommend and extra gas tube/ hand guard assembly and just change them out. I put thread locker on the screws. I can remove the ring and light easily enough, but the rail stays put.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast