Thread: Milled Hungarian AK questions

Milled Hungarian AK questions

Someone on another forum has a milled Hungarian kit and needs info.

Will any milled receiver work? What fcg will work with the milled receiver? Did the milled AKs have a sub-16" barrel?

I'm going to point him this direction for more info but those are the basic questions that I can't answer since my experience is with AKMs, not milled AKs.

Thanks!
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

It depends on the barrel. If it's threaded on the breach end, then no. He would have to get a receiver that's threaded to match the pitch on his barrel. CNC Warrior used to do that, just send them the stub.

As for the FCG, any trigger will work, either single or double. For barrel length, 16.25" is standard.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I had a Hungarian Milled rifle kit at one time. Sold it it off. That said, the barrels are threaded. As such they are much harder to mount in a milled receiver as you have to time the barrel rotation to top dead center. Most people approached these by turning off the barrel threads and press fitting and pinning them. Double hook fcg is appropriate for the milled AK type weapons, brand choice is irrelevant. No the barrels were not less than 16 inches for the standard rifle. Will any milled receiver work, reference my info on the threaded barrel. Unless you have a lathe it is about useless to get a milled receiver that his threaded. You won't be able to time the barrel to TDC orientation more than likely. If it worked out it would be an accident. http://firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers.html Follow link. These guys make a top quality receiver and could use the threaded barrel, could fit it to their receiver and get the timing and headspace right for a fee. If you want the threads on the barrel to keep it all as original as possible IMO this is the only way to go.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 10-28-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks, I have passed the info to him.

He says it is a Hungarian Model 55 which is supposed to be a direct copy of the Soviet version (Type III I suppose) built during a parts clean up in the 60s.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?