Thread: stock compatibility question

stock compatibility question

what problems can I expect if I want to swap out the stocks on either a WASR or Bulgarian AK with a Ironwood Chinese copy stock set? ( http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWMAK_2.html ) or to put it another way can it be done? I preferred the type 56 stocks but even when I have said cash for the real rifle I can't find any locally. I may be a bit off on this but it can't hurt to ask...

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The Chinese receivers are 1.5mm and the Romanian is 1mm thick. Ironwood should be able to leave the extra thickness when they build the stock. A small amount of fitting may be required; file & sand paper stuff normally. Or may be a detail sander if you have one.

A lot of the Bulgarian are milled, which are you looking at?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As ECL said, the Chinese stamped receiver is thicker than the Euro receivers, so a standard Chinese stock would be very loose in the Euro receiver.

I spoke to the owner of Ironwood way back discussing how he makes the stocks, and unless he has a program for his machine to leave more wood on the stock tang, he unfortunately is not set up to make custom one offs. Still you can get the Chinese style stock and use thin metal shims to take up the added space for a nice tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    The Chinese receivers are 1.5mm and the Romanian is 1mm thick. Ironwood should be able to leave the extra thickness when they build the stock. A small amount of fitting may be required; file & sand paper stuff normally. Or may be a detail sander if you have one.

A lot of the Bulgarian are milled, which are you looking at?
    right now the stamped one from Centerfire with luck I can fit the hand guards without too much grief..although I am always on the look for other sources or ideas.