Thread: 10/9 or 10/357

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

10/9 or 10/357

Just curious, I haven't found anything on it and was wondering if anybody ever heard of necking down a 10MM case to .355 or .357 to make a 10/9 or 10/357. It would be a bottleneck case with a short neck and loaded to 37000/37500 psi pushing a SJSP or SJHP bullet in excess of 1500 fps. Might be a little brutal in a small gun but a 1911 style longslide should soak up the recoil nicely and allow enough control for reasonably fast follow up shots. Wouldn't want it for a CCW but it would be a heck of a battlefield gun or hunting gun for deer/elk size game out to 200 yards.

Chambering for a bottle neck with those high pressures might b a little tricky, You dont want the case to blow out to a straight neck and you don't want it to get wedged in so tight you wouldnt be able to extract it.

Not thinking about doing it this is just a thought exercise. Maybe a revolver might be a better fit if extraction is a problem.

Any brain storming thoughts on a wildcat like this or do you know of anybody who has done this?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Someone else has already played with this idea in an EAA Witness.

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum19/8208.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks Steve and it looks like he's getting what I expected considering he is using 125 gr bullets. I was pretty sure somebody would have thought of doing this but I couldn't find it.

This site you led me to is now book marked, I have a feeling I'm going to be wasting some time there. Best part he mentioned no extraction problems but I don't know what pressure level he reached. I hope he posts more because I'd like to see his follow up with heavier bullets.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

already been done with the 40 s&w in the 357 sig, id imagine lengthening it slightly to use the 10mm length brass wouldnt be too much of a jump.

Thought about that but its a low pressure round in comparison at 3500 psi and a hair less capacity, It would still probably be quite a bit faster than a standard 40 cal 165 or 180 gr bullet.

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Some thing like this maybe?

The 9x25 is a 10mm necked down to 9mm.

I have a 6" barrel in this caliber for my glock 20, pretty snappy little round.

Doubletap offers about 10 varieties of this cartridge, i have some 90 grain FMJ that cronos at over 2000 fps

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Davepool, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I had forgotten about the 9x25 Dillon cartridge. It looks like Doubletap has factory loads for it too.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post

Doubletap offers about 10 varieties of this cartridge, i have some 90 grain FMJ that cronos at over 2000 fps
    That's a zippy little round to be sure. Out speeds 7.62x25 Tok. That would make a pretty good subgun round I think. Imagine a 10 mm HK rebarreled to the 9 mm with that chamber. Turns it almost into a full blown midrange weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post

Now aint that the cats meow. I swear if it could be done somebody has already done it. Bet it would make a decent hunting round for deer size critters with a 160 gr SP. Even better for the long range silhouette game.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    That's a zippy little round to be sure. Out speeds 7.62x25 Tok. That would make a pretty good subgun round I think. Imagine a 10 mm HK rebarreled to the 9 mm with that chamber. Turns it almost into a full blown midrange weapon.

I was dreaming the exact same thing !!!!
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!