Thread: Legality of selling an Maadi AK non922r

Legality of selling an Maadi AK non922r

Hello, I'm new here at this forum so hello to everyone I was wondering if any anyone could give me some advice on my situation. I'm selling an Egyptian Maddi ARM on Gunbroker right now. I bought this ARM in 1993 during the big gun buy rush before the 1994 ban. I never shot it and it's just been sitting in my safe new and unfired. My question is on the legality of my selling it since it has not been made 922r compliant. It is all original Maadi parts except that I threw away the thumb-hole stock and put on a after market wood kit. The way I read 922r it has to do with assembling one from parts and nothing to do with buying or selling original guns. I would appreciate any advice so I don't get myself or the buyer in hot water Thanks so much.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

agapeliving, you might want to visit the sticky below. Hopefully it will give you the information you need.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...22r-Compliance

Steve

P.S. - agapeliving, welcome to The Guns Network! Hope to see more posts from you.
    After today, it's all historical.

Hi Steve! Thanks for the thread. It has great info. I'm still very much not understanding if 922r is a requirement for all guns whether bought new or pieced together. Everything I read about 922r is about assembling and nothing about legality of selling/buying. Boy 922r is a messed up deal. Thanks again for the thread help!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Welcome aboard. As I read it your Maadi was importable due to the fact that it had a thumbhole stock. By removing the thumbhole stock and adding a standard buttstock and pistol grip you returned the Maadi to a configuration that was not importable that being it now has a pistol grip and takes magazines that hold more than 10rds which makes it in volation of 18 USC 922r. In order to be legal to own and well as sell you either have to reinstall a thumbhole stock and or change out enough of the original parts to get to the required parts count. At least that's the way I read it.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Here's a thread I started when I found one listed on GB
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?7679-NO-US-parts

Has a few opinions but the link is no longer good and I don't know if the guy ever sold it. He said outright that it wasn't compliant.
    Post a link to your auction it's cool.

Let's see let's see
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agapeliving View Post
    Hello, I'm new here at this forum so hello to everyone I was wondering if any anyone could give me some advice on my situation. I'm selling an Egyptian Maddi ARM on Gunbroker right now. I bought this ARM in 1993 during the big gun buy rush before the 1994 ban. I never shot it and it's just been sitting in my safe new and unfired. My question is on the legality of my selling it since it has not been made 922r compliant. It is all original Maadi parts except that I threw away the thumb-hole stock and put on a after market wood kit. The way I read 922r it has to do with assembling one from parts and nothing to do with buying or selling original guns. I would appreciate any advice so I don't get myself or the buyer in hot water Thanks so much.
    Define "after market wood kit". Was it just a butt or did it include a foregrip or just a pistol grip? Assuming you did not add a muzzle device and the wood was USA manufactor origin, you should be able to install a fire control group (trigger, sear, hammer) and get to 922r parts count.

All that said, I've never heard of anyone charged with JUST 922r.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Assuming the wood is US made, to sell it I would just get one all American mag (3 parts) and sell it with just the one mag. That way the rifle is compliant per the stupidest rule that an unconstitutional agency could come up with!

i would buy this from u...

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Welcome jman245 to the AK-47 Site. I'm with nut on this one.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

i met a guy on the net selling a maadi arm but he will only sell to ffl dealer.he said the atf was watching him since he has been selling his collection on the web.i think u can sell it to anyone (that is permitted to own a firearm) since its is the way u bought it.if u change any of the original gear,stocks,clips,etc. then u have to have the minimum 922r parts on it.i think 6?922r is really for the purpose of slowing the import of rifles to the u.s. an atf agent saw my buddy's ak at a range and told us that they dont really bother civilians with it.^thanks for the welcome recon!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group, jman245 !!!

Forgive me for having problems reading what you just posted. Being dyslexic makes reading a text message online really difficult. You would be amaze how hard it can be unless you don't see the words without proper capitalization and punctuation and shortening words and ...

If you are buying a firearm on the net, unless the seller is in the same state as you, he has to ship it to a FFL holder to transfer the firearm to you. Federal law.

As for the rifle you buy being 922(r) or Title 27 CFR478.39 compliant, that would not apply to you the buyer, only the person who did the modifications.

lol,thanks!I forgot to mention that it had to go ffl dealer first,unless as you said,it was a ftf sale.Even then you shopuld have it done at a police station ,imo, so as to not sell to a criminal.In Vegas,we check for a blue card,which is a gun owners permit.I wonder if the original poster is still here...

Btw, I dont believe that any of us are lawyers or in law enforcement,im not at least, so please double check on this...

Quote Originally Posted by jman245 View Post
    lol,thanks!I forgot to mention that it had to go ffl dealer first,unless as you said,it was a ftf sale.
    Even FTF is illegal between residents of different states - the transaction has to take place via an FFL in the buyer's state.

If you and buyer are both residents of NV (you mentioned Vegas), then it should be fine, though.