Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival Rifle and Survival Pistol Combo (riding Recon's thread)

To answer the question of 1 caliber I would take my G19 and 15rd and 33rd mags. I don't have a 9mm carbine or rifle so instead I'd take a supressor for the Glock. If I could take stuff I don't have the P90 and pistol combo sounds good for volume of fire power. And if I could take multiple calibers I'd take the Glock and M@P15T ideally both suppressed. Possibly the USP45T as well.

Good call, but you might waste a little ammo, even if you do controlled bursts. I want to say I would be happy with my M11 and Glock 19, but I don't think I would.

F/A would only draw more attention.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Well - I still think I need a 12 ga shotgun in the mix somehow - maybe a pump long barrel for hunting, etc. and an SBS for up close and personal stuff. But - if it must be a rifle/handgun combo in only one caliber, then I'll have to go .22LR in a Ruger Single Six and an AR with a dedicated .22LR upper (F/A maybe?). I know the semi- or F/A may draw more attention, but if it gets up close and personal and all I have is a .22, I want to be able to put as many rounds as possible on target in a short period of time.

It depends on what you mean by "survival". If I am stranded in the woods and aren't too concerned with zombies, then I would want my 10/22 and my S&W Model 18 in 22 lr. The reason is I can take small to medium game with the 22 lr cartridge and can carry a lot more rounds. If I am worried about zombies, I would want my sub2k in Glock 9 mm and a Glock 17. This combo could take all the game up to deer (marginal, but doable). Also, mags interchange and I can carry a lot of rounds. In the zombie situation, you can put out a bunch of lead if you have to.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    In a true SHTF survival situation, something like an UZI with it's correct barrel would be a reasonable 9mm combination handgun/rifle. Extend the stock and you have a shoulder fired weapon, fold the stock and with it's original 10 inch barrel, a heavy but usable "pistol".

Of course an underfolder or side folding AKM is a great one size fits all weapon.

I also like the idea of the PS-90 and Five-seveN combination giving the number of rounds that can be carried. Something about a light weight 50 round mag that packs very easily is a comforting thing.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Glock 19 in 9 luger, sub2000, glock mags in 9 luger. only because that's what I have.
    Just me and my monkey....

If you really had to pick, I guess you'd have to consider where you live or where your gonna be. If I lived in say Alaska or where there are alot of bears, my choice would be much different than living in the sticks of Missouri. (Though there are black bears here)

I think I would have to go with a GP100 and a lever action in .357. If I move to Alaska maybe a Black Hawk in .45 Colt and a lever gun.

Or maybe a Single-Six and a 10/22. That would work for survival in Missouri.

I would hate to have to pick. Makes my brain hurt...

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    I didn't want to hijack Recon's "Top 4 survival guns" thread...

But lets take a look at another perspective...

1) You can only have ONE caliber
    2) You're only allowed ONE rifle and ONE handgun of choice

And when I say handgun, I don't mean an AK/AR rifle and an AK/AR pistol... I mean a handgun in the purest sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    I reject the idea of limiting my rifle to pistol calibers, that is silly in the extreme. I"ll take a short barreled CAR-15 variant, with a Ciener .22lr conversion unit and a sound suppressor.. you won't get ANY spare mags, steel, one's, for the weight of my 11 oz Diamondback 9mm pocket pistol. :-) The pistol can't do much in a true military or shtf environment, so it should be lw and compact, take lw, compact, ammo, yet be effective for when a handgun is useful, as when holding prisoners, driving a vehicle, crawling tunnels, climbing or descending ladders, trees, caught in sleeping bag, etc. the rest of the time, a lw, compact carbine should be in hand, at the shoulder, or on the assault sling, period. carry 1 lb of .22lr subsonic ammo (135 rds, if 40 gr bullets are used), 3 30 rd mags for the 223, being mostly 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints, 2 mags for the pistol, cause that's what I carry for ccw. The front pants pocket holster is best for EDC, and it's also best for access while carrying a backpack and a rifle, as well as being out of hte way and at least somewhat protected from the elements. No other combo comes close to doing all the (likely to be needed) things that this combo can do. If you use an 11-12" barreled AR with a retractable buttstock, it's concealable in a backpack, grocery sack, gymbag when disassembled and can be assembled to fire in less than 10 seconds, as "fast" as anyone loads a .38 snub, ccw, with loose ammo or a speed strip, for instance. :-) Just leave a rd chambered and leave a mag in the lower receiver. assemble upper to lower, push 2 pins, grab thje pistol grip and pull the trigger.
    Try and do it according to the OP or can't you get along without half a dozen calibers and guns. You are so freaking smart surely there must be a single caliber and a handgun/long gun combination for you.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Had to clean this up some. Sorry guys.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Being restricted to a single caliber, I would want one with as much stopping power as I could get.

My Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC would partner nicely with a lever gun in the same caliber. 45 LC can be loaded to 44 Magnum levels and safely shot in a Ruger Blackhawk because of the strength of its frame.

But since this is a fantasy and I can just choose any pair of guns I want, I'd instead probably go for an S&W Model 29 and a lever gun in 44 Magnum. There are some more modern high-power handgun cartridges now in the 50 caliber class which outclass the 44 Magnum, like the 500 S&W Magnum, for example, with its 2600 ft-lb of stopping power, compared to the 44 Mag's 900. But I'd likely have to get a long gun custom chambered for that round. But since this is a fantasy, that's perfectly do-able, ain't it? Except, I dunno if you can call the 500 S&W a handgun. An artillery piece seems more apropos.

Permission to modify and extend my remarks . . .

If I go back to my original caliber preference, the .45 Long Colt, this opens up some interesting possibilities. Like a Taurus Judge, or the S&W equivalent whose name escapes me now. The Judge will shoot 410 shot shells as well as .45 LC. Hey, same caliber, just different ammo. Being able to shoot 410 shells out of a handgun opens up some interesting possibilities. I've seen widespread patterns from a Judge when shooting, say, 7.5 shot, but I've also seen patterns shooting 410 ammo specifically designed to be shot out of a pistol, and at about 10 yards, the shot pattern looks like somebody tossed a big wad of lead at the target at a very high rate of speed. IOW, a big, ragged hole with good penetration. Very impressive. Just think of what one could do with handloads and a bit of imagination.

So if I were to go with 45 LC, a Taurus Judge, or the S&W equivalent, would be one of the guns on my list. And the long gun would be a Rossi Circuit Judge revolver rifle, specifically the model designed to shoot the same ammo as the Judge.
    Last edited by cooltouch; 02-07-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Best,
    Michael

Marlin Model 1894 .44 cal
    Colt Anaconda 8'' barrel

Medusa revolver
    and a beretta cx4 storm
    Wish list with only one caliber The medusa is a wish anyways.

Other is AK pistol and AK rifle. More realistic.

Now if each can be a differnet caliber
    AK rifle
    Beretta 92fs pistol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12