Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bang for the Buck (tactical shotgun)

Best Bang for the Buck (tactical shotgun)

So I started out set on getting a Saiga 12 and making mods to it, but after pricing things out, I'm not sure I can swing $1400 ish right now with a house under construction ... I also doubt I'd find a deal on one locally at a show. I also want to mess around and do some mods myself. I'm very new at that, so it's a little safer to start out with a $300ish shotgun than tweaking the AK style job starting at $600.

So,
    What are some of your all's best bang for the buck options for a self defense shotgun. I'm open to any functional size (12ga, 20ga, .410, etc). I'd like to be right around 18" to avoid the NFA junk. I prefer semi auto, but that won't be a deal breaker.

I'd like everything taken into consideration: versatility, aftermarket option, reliability, etc. A sweet looking gun is a major plus.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just get the stock Saiga and do the mods as you can. It's very easy to do the pistol grip mod and not much $$...

Classic arms has em for $600 http://www.classicarms.us/Saiga.htm
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Hey, FWIW... I bought all of my Saiga 12 mods from:

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/s...7b30fb85ac3ed0

I agree with OSOK, get the S12 now... you never know when the US will stop allowing importation of them... mod as your budget allows.

How about this? For $119 bucks... this is probably one of the easiest grip/stock mods you can do:

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/s...an-p-1940.html

Sure, I bet that we'd all like an ACE Skeleton Stock, SAW grip relocated with a new Tromix Trigger guard... but for $119 bucks, I think this is pretty darn slick and might fit a budget oriented design?

I can do the pistol grip configuration for about the same $$ maybe a bit more but you end up with a "proper" AK configured shotty.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Here you go. Mossberg 590 for $408 with free shipping and no credit card fee. My FFL only charges $20 for transfers.

http://www.jetguns.com/mossberg-590s...?cPath=495_517
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Cool

I love my Beneilli M3.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Thanks for the input so far. An update to where I'm headed. I know you get what you pay for, but more isn't always better. I'm hoping to lean on your all's experience to get quality upgrades and decent prices. I realize you normally get what you pay for, so I don't want the "cheapen" my choice, I just want to get the best value on quality stuff.

That's def a decent option. With the Saiga back in the picture, what are the disadvantages of the other sizes? (20 ga/.410)? You can get into those guns for about half the price up front, so what are you really giving up when you go down to the the smaller shotguns? Versatility, options to upgrade, increase possible cost of shells, etc?

I've never really fooled much with anything other than a 12ga, so I don't know if quality loads even exist for the smaller ones. Can you do all the optional things to both other sizes?

Has anyone seen the 22" or 24" Saigas for sale lately? It's on backorder from centerfire, but I'm going to cut it down to 18.5" eventually, so I'd rather save the money since they seem to be cheaper.

As to conversions. My local gunsmith said he would recommend not doing the full conversion as it ends up being "mickey mouse". He said he's had to convert converts back to factory. Is there truth to that, or did he likely get people who did poor jobs on their own and get back examples of full conversions? Can a few of you weigh in the pros and cons of each way (full conversion and quasi-conversion with pistol grip for factory saiga)

Stocks: I've seen this as appealing (phoenix kicklite):
    http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Kickli...1211700&sr=8-1

Any input on that?

Optics:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Retic...e_sg_ai_ps_t_5

UAG open optic. Is UAG decent decent option, or is the fraction of the price a good indicator of the quality of the products?

I'll check in later when I think of more stuff!
    Chris

12 Gage offers the most availabe loadings and is easy to find discounted/on sale. The other gages are actually more costly. The 12 just gives you more.

As to the conversions - I think your gunsmith is blowing smoke up your skirt.

If he's saying that a pistol grip conversion is hard or doesn't often work out well - I call BS on that. He want's you to give him the business is all IMHO.

Here's a good vid on how to do a Saiga conversion:

Judge for yourself. (keep in mind that this is a "girl" doing this work ) Point being, it's not hard - just need a few basic tools as shown.

I have done 4 of these and it took less than an hour the last time.

As far as the optics - the NC Star is the el cheapo option - don't expect any durability with that. This is a shotgun... you don't really need an optic IMHO - you are aiming of course, but not with a "fine bead". When I shot the 12 gage Saiga with stock sights, it was very easy to place slugs precisely at 25 yards.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 11-13-2011 at 03:36 PM.

That does look simple. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the BHO she references at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

If he's saying that a pistol grip conversion is hard or doesn't often work out well - I call BS on that. He want's you to give him the business is all IMHO.
    I thought the same thing, but I was even talking about having HIM do the PG conversion and he recommended the PG/stock combo with the factory set up

Well, all's I know is that there are gunsmiths... and there are gunsmiths.

Besides improving the ergonomics, the pg conversion also gives you a 100% improvement in the trigger pull.

And the BHO = bolt hold open. This is a unique feature found only on the Saiga AFAIK.

There's a trick involving using string or tooth floss to compress the spring when re-installing the BHO.

The BHO is handy feature and I always reinstalled them on my conversions - some just leave them off however.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Well, all's I know is that there are gunsmiths... and there are gunsmiths.

Besides improving the ergonomics, the pg conversion also gives you a 100% improvement in the trigger pull.

And the BHO = bolt hold open. This is a unique feature found only on the Saiga AFAIK.

There's a trick involving using string or tooth floss to compress the spring when re-installing the BHO.

The BHO is handy feature and I always reinstalled them on my conversions - some just leave them off however.
    Thanks for the info. I'll def look up how to put the BHO back on. I love that feature.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelpwr View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll def look up how to put the BHO back on. I love that feature.
    It doesn't hold open after the last round, it has to be activated manually.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

It ain't pretty, but................

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelpwr View Post
    So I started out set on getting a Saiga 12 and making mods to it, but after pricing things out, I'm not sure I can swing $1400 ish right now with a house under construction ... I also doubt I'd find a deal on one locally at a show. I also want to mess around and do some mods myself. I'm very new at that, so it's a little safer to start out with a $300ish shotgun than tweaking the AK style job starting at $600.

So,
    What are some of your all's best bang for the buck options for a self defense shotgun. I'm open to any functional size (12ga, 20ga, .410, etc). I'd like to be right around 18" to avoid the NFA junk. I prefer semi auto, but that won't be a deal breaker.

I'd like everything taken into consideration: versatility, aftermarket option, reliability, etc. A sweet looking gun is a major plus.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    Chris,
    I have a sweet $1800.00 Vang Comp custom; but if you want somthing cheep and that you can build on, you can't beat the Remington 870. It's the AR of the scatrergun world and it's a classic, you can pick them up anywhere. Unless you want to beat the Zombie with it, I would recommend using "Flight Control" rounds. Zombies deserve only the best.
    Good luck

my local walmart has remington 870 home defense guns for $270 plus tax, add on a tube extension for maybe $40-50 plus shipping. I think that's about as low buck, high quality, and dependable as it gets in my eyes.

another vote for the 870..... buy one cheap and build into whatever you want/need.....here's a good 870 info website.

http://www.aiptactical.com/Breaking_In_the_870.html

The Berreta 1201FP can often be found used at a bargain price and it is basically a Benelli in disguise...great value for the dollar. I am very fond of the 1100 and use one for all manner of shotgun shooting competitions.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

another vote for the 870.

although if you want to get off really cheap, a mossberg maveric. afaik, anything made to fit the 500 series will fit a maveric, so customization options are endless,and teh initial price is much lower. plus you dont have to deal with that pita, pos, top-of-the-receiver 500 safety.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

If you look around you can often find a Beretta 1201FP at a good price. Mine is probably the fastest cycling shotgun I've seen/used. For a pump the 870 is still king as far as I'm concerned at least with regards to reliability and value.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Well its not exactly "tactical" but money is tight so im buying a Mossberg 500A in the next few days, just a little over 200 bucks it seems to be a good buy and can be modified when I can afford to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast