Thread: .223 AK Build From Scratch

.223 AK Build From Scratch

OK, Have a Chinese .223 barrel and lots of spare parts. I want to build a Frankenstein AK in 223 with a side folding stock (Skeleton). This is my first question, will a Galil 223 barrel work in a standard AK bolt carrier? It should, theoretically. Anyone with experience in trying a Rem 223 build???

Oscar C.
    Texas

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Welcome aboard! I haven't been around much lately but this is sort of what I'm doing. I'm going to build one with a Galil bolt/carrier/top cover & a Romanian barrel w/ Galil front sight base. I don't know specifically about Chinese barrels other than when there's a will there's a way!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It's not going to be the barrel working with the bolt, it's the bolt working with the trunion as the bolt locks to the trunion. Aside from that it's barrel fitting the hole in the trunion and being pinned in place to set a proper headspace.

Your next issue will be the feeding of rounds from the magazine into the chamber. You might need a feed ramp in the bottom of the receiver, you might not. Depends on the distance the rounds have to rise up.