Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense weapon

Home Defense weapon

I picked up a couple of these for HD ...

Found one at my local gun shop for $150 and the other at a local pawn shop for $210. The one shown shoots great, no issues. The other has an 8 round extension tube.

I bought scabbards for them.

And then yesterday, I bought this at a gun show.

I realize the Mossberg is not a well respected brand, but they are reliable and cheap. Perfect for leaving under the mattress.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 OzarkRecluse's Avatar

Have you ever fired a pistol-gripped 12 gauge? Not pleaant.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Really like the looks of the bottom shotgun. What model Mossy is it and is that a factory finish?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Not pleasant for multiple shooting at range trips but I wouldnt completely discount it for HD lest your lace panties are getting in a bind.

My wife is a dead shot firing from the hip with my Mossberg 500 when pistol gripped. Of course she only shoots bird shot.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    I realize the Mossberg is not a well respected brand, but they are reliable and cheap. Perfect for leaving under the mattress.
    What do you mean? Mossberg isn't a well respected brand!? I've always respected mine plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    What do you mean? Mossberg isn't a well respected brand!? I've always respected mine plenty!
    I did, until they started making weird ass crap like shotgun-chainsaws and .50bmg shotties... Now i been kinda wanting to sell mine due to embarassment.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

mitchntx, it looks like you bought a Mossberg 590 Mariner (#50299). It should serve you well.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Mossberg is very well respected. As for some of their newer, stranger models, I'm betting 50 years from now they'll be collectors items and worth a lot of $$$.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    GI brush and laundry detergent. You wash out your mouth till you take that back.

And for heavens sake get a real stock for the other one. If you have a boogerman in your house at 20' you do not want to miss and that thing on your gun is an almost certain miss. Take it out and set up half a dozen liter bottles of water at various angles and distances, for instance mix them up like this, 3 yards, 5 yards, 10 yards, 12 yards, 18 yards, 19 yards, and 25 yards. Spread them out at angles from 45 degrees left and right to random angles in between for the other 4. Then shoot them as fast as you can and see how good that pistol grip is. Don't forget to tell us how your hand and wrist feel.

I do this drill with my Mossberg and my Winchester 1200 one scoped, one with rifle sights, one pump and the other semi-auto but both full stocked and I am just now getting to where my semi-auto shooting is as good as my pump gun shooting. Took a little getting used to.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Yeah it certainly is impossible to hit with a pistol grip shotty..

Wifey does this all day long

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Mossberg makes more shotguns every year than all other combined makers of shotguns in the world. I wouldn't say they are not respected, quite the contrary.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post

Yeah it certainly is impossible to hit with a pistol grip shotty..

Wifey does this all day long
    You mean shotgun right? What size shot, what choke and how often does she practice this little trick. It's a good one and I haven't seen it done before. I know I wouldn't make very many of those shots. Oh yeah, how many shots were taken but not connected and not shown.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

2 3/4" birdshot 12ga with open choke out of my Mossberg 500 shotgun. Twice I have took her out pidgeon shooting and she does extremely well firing from the hip when I throw. Stumped me shitless, beginners luck I kept telling her but shes a dead shot with my HK USP9 pistol as well.

Mind you this isnt my wife in the vid, just an interesting one I found on youtube that shows that a pistol grip shotgun can be used accurately enough for home defense.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Mossberg's 590 has been the "official" shotgun of the military for almost 30 years! (Until the Benelli M4 Super 90 recently received the contract) Sooooo.... It is indeed respected, and has been defending lives for a very long time...

Is it as pretty as a Citori, or even a Wingmaster in beauty? Nope! Is it more than capable to do ANYTHING a shotgun should be used for? NO DOUBT!

The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a Mossberg 12 ga with 18' barrel, and pistol grip. I can toss a beer can in front of me (empty), and hit it with bird shot, one-handed. I have not tried clays like that lady (she is good!). The recoil is not that bad with birdshot, but a box of max load, 3'' slugs will bump a knuckle. I picked the Mossberg pump because it was the only shotgun (since 1979, up to a few years back) that met and exceded mil-specs. I later got a Choate full length/pistol grilp stock that feels good with the magnum loads. You can't go wrong with Mossberg, Winchester, or Remington pump shotguns.

Hmmmm..

Havent picked up a mossberg yet.

Have 3 870's in different configs , 1 M37, 1 1897 ans a marlin 1898 widow maker.

All but the Marlin are in Strategic locations.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

S-12

Coroner is not going to be happy about identification.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

** Contributor 01/2013 **

Put a laser on the one with the pistol grip. It'll shoot just fine. Adding another grip on the pump might make it more controllable. Mossberg makes good guns. They even have a varmint bolt action rifle that takes AR-15 mags.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    The Mossy's I've had have functioned fine I liked the a1 heavy barrel on my hunting gun, and a 590sp for home
    defence My son liked the 590. I'm back to shooting my Ithacas funny you guys don't mention the Ithaca when
    talking quality, I'm still shooting a model 37 that I started on in 63, and have a more recent model 37 with
    2 barrels that is my bird and deer gun.
    Just me and my monkey....

The only thing wrong with Mossberg is the lies perpetrated by elitest Fudd, Remmy 870 nut riders.

Truth is, you can't go wrong with either gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast