Thread: So what happened to the SAR series AKMs?

was_peacemaker

So what happened to the SAR series AKMs?

Sense college has drained me dry the last few years I have done very little shooting.

From finances to just not having the time from basically taking care of my grandmother who suffers from severe dementia.

Anyway long story short I went to my first gunshow in years with some old friends from high school.

I noticed everything was WASR-10, ammo was high, and there seemed to be a short supply...well no supply of 5.45 AK-74 type variants? I did a little research and found out there was something about the SAR-1 that had to be changed?!? I have been sitting on a early 2001 model SAR-1 for about 9 years. Bought it brand spanking new.

Is there something special about these rifles now? I remember when they were a dime a dozen at the shows. Since I have been entrenched in SQL, Object oriented programming, and now switching to a college transfer I have been completely out of the loop.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not sure if it was due to some new law or import restriction but as I recall the SAR series of AK clones was replaced by the WASR around 2003 or 2004. About the only difference I know of is the WASR lacks the receiver dimples above the mag well.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

I believe the SAR-1 was the only AKM inported in military configuration.
    I paid $349 for mine a few years back. They've indeed gone up.
    A lot of folks favor them over WASRs for the "dimple" in the receiver.
    видеодон

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    videodon is correct in saying that the SAR-1 was the only true military issue AK variant imported for civilian consumption. When ATF ran their checks on making sure all semi-auto long guns entering the former land of shall not be infringed, they determined that the SAR series did not meet the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment. The SAR ability to use standard AK mags, plus being imported having all Romanian parts made it non-sporting, and therefore in violation of their rewrite of our rights.

Even though Century replaced enough parts after importation to make the rifle comply with the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment, ATF didn't like the idea that it came in unfettered.

The WASR-10 series is importable because it meets the sporting purpose clause in that as imported it can only accept ten round maximum capacity single stack mags and cannot use standard evil AK mags. Once in the country, it is then legal to widen the mag well but only after removing imported parts and installing enough USA made parts so that it has the maximum of ten required to meet the sporting purpose clause.

Pretty stupid, no????!!!!!

was_peacemaker
    WOW!! So the SAR-1 is closer to mil-spec than a semi-type 56 from China, Polytech, Bulgarian, or a Saiga from Russia? I do know that the bolt carrier from a SAR-1 is to wide to fit a WASR-10. Me and a buddy tried last night to see what parts were interchangeable. Funny thing is....his bolt and bolt carrier slid right into mine just fine. So I know a bolt carrier from a WASR-10 will fit a SAR-1, but it will not work vice-versa.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

Pretty stupid, no????!!!!!
    Preach on brother!
    видеодон

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    WOW!! So the SAR-1 is closer to mil-spec than a semi-type 56 from China, Polytech, Bulgarian, or a Saiga from Russia? I do know that the bolt carrier from a SAR-1 is to wide to fit a WASR-10. Me and a buddy tried last night to see what parts were interchangeable. Funny thing is....his bolt and bolt carrier slid right into mine just fine. So I know a bolt carrier from a WASR-10 will fit a SAR-1, but it will not work vice-versa.
    The SAR-1 was the only military issue rifle that was also sold to we the people. Romanian soldiers trained with semi-auto Kalashnikovs before graduating to full auto (select fire)/

The Chinese (and others) rifles were all commercial versions designed to try to sell to those of us who appreciated the Kalashnikov rifile, but wanted something "better" than military issue. Many are spoiled by the AR-15 platform being so finely crafted that a military issue rifle is almost indistinguishable from the civilian version. The Chinese and others tried to make the rifle look "pretty" as well as maintain the function that the AK/AKM was well known for.

That is the reason that the finish on the SAR was so poor compared to the perfection of the finish on the AR series. In the communist and former communist countries, function trumped all, so the SAR didn't live up to the standards of the Weatherbys, Winchesters, and even the Garands and others that were functional but pretty.

I have a SAR-1 as well and I don't think I could make it fail if I had to. Forgive my lack of knowing, but isn't there something different with the stampings as well. Something with the "X" and "Y" stampings? On mine the upper handguard (gas tube) is terribly loose/wobbley. Some sites mention a tension spring, I'm wondering if mine is missing it?
    Last edited by devinsdad; 09-04-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: more info

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    I have a SAR-1 as well and I don't think I could make it fail if I had to. Forgive my lack of knowing, but isn't there something different with the stampings as well. Something with the "X" and "Y" stampings? On mine the upper handguard (gas tube) is terribly loose/wobbley. Some sites mention a tension spring, I'm wondering if mine is missing it?
    The Romainian recievers have the "Y" stamp where the third fire control group pin would be, they also lack the selector stop that most semi-AK's have. This is the same on all romies, Sar or not.

Your handguard issue is common, and is most likely spring related, it may still be there, the romies fit and finish in that department is lacking. Just be glad it's loose, I had to completely ruin a handguard on my wasr because it wouldn't come off.

IMHO there is just something different about the Wasr's. I don't know what it is but they just don't "feel" the same as Sar's. It's like german mausers, a proper nazi k-98 just feels different than any other mauser, even another k-98 that has a yugo made stock on it. There's no logic to it, as their identical in size. I never liked my wasr that much until I stuck maadi handguards and a milsurp romie stock on it, even so it I still don't like it as much as any of my other ak's.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Since we're already talking about dimples, I'll go ahead and chime in and say that the Draco series AK "pistols" seem to have the same military receiver as the SAR-1, except it doesn't have the side mount scope rail.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

was_peacemaker
    The other night it was apparent that the bolt carrier from the SAR-1 was to large to fit into the WASR-10. Yet, at the same time the WASR-10 bolt carrier would fit into the SAR-1.

The SAR's that I had were decent functioning guns, butt ugly though.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Since we're already talking about dimples, I'll go ahead and chime in and say that the Draco series AK "pistols" seem to have the same military receiver as the SAR-1, except it doesn't have the side mount scope rail.
    Imported pistols fall under a different 2nd Amendment and import rules than do imported rifle or shotguns. That's why the dimples.
    Same for .22 rifles - thus the dimpled SAR2 recvs used for WASR22 rifles, and the evil-looking GSG5s, ISSC "SCAR", and Umarex HK416, Colt M4, and "MP5s".
    (BTW, once tuned to actually run, a WASR22 is a freakin hoot. Centerfire has been importing the latest iterations of what used to be the WASR22. Great to have a real AKM in .22.)

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    The SAR's that I had were decent functioning guns, butt ugly though.
    What's so ugly about this?
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Smile

SARS rule, the Century parts blew. Fix all that and its the best budget AK's out. Sar was a good series.