Thread: Thinking .44 mag

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Thinking .44 mag

The wife and I went into a shop and looked at two .44 mags. One was a custon Redhawk with about a 10" barrel, ported, trigger job, Bussnell Scope that a guy used on one hunts and had in there on commission at $1150. The other was a factory Taurus five shot titanium with a +/- 5" barrel factory ported at $500+.

We have boar hogs around here at 200 lbs to 400 lbs in the area and there was just a couger that took a deer about 40 to 50 miles from here so they are making a come back. There was also a black bear spotted on the lake we live on last year.

I was thinking of getting a scoped .44 for myself and a .44 for the wife as carry guns around the place. She like the light weight of the Taurus and I was thinking I could load light for her or use .44 special.

Anyone have experience with the Taurus?

For my choice I've kinda narrowed to a Redhawk or Smith 629 and think I want a 7½" or longer barrel. Are the custom jobs worth the extra $400 or so I'm seeing?

This is similar to the custom I looked at: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=261059215

This fits my specs: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=260661526

I'm looking at the Smiths also:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=261248498
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=261444058

Advise or forget the whole thing and build the M92 as a SBR and carry it?

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

the key to a taurus is getting one that works good out of the box, because thier customer service is total crap. Ive fought with them several times trying to get guns fixed or even get parts. taurus's quality has gone downhill rapidly in teh last year or so and i look at them with a VERY jaded eye.

id would either save up and buy a smith or ruger, or look in another direction. Are you set on a big bore wheelgun? if not, maybe look at a 10mm auto. I have a glock 20 i load and shoot regularly at levels that rival 44 mag for energy numbers. also maybe think about the "mares leg" handguns in 44 or 45. same round, easier platform to handle and usually cheaper than the big name revolvers.

SW

I've had a .44 Super Blackhawk before and just wanted the double this time...

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Desert Eagle?

Seriously though, I don't care for Taurus or ported handguns. But I've never been a handgun hunter either.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

A scope on a semi pistol just seems wrong... lol

I have always wanted an AMT Hardballer in .30 Carbine....

model 29 or Redhawk is the way I'd go, probably lean toward the Redhawk simply b/c I like Rugers

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

.44 Mag, or .45LC, are both good, hard-hitting calibers and coupled with the Ruger Blackhawk styles, are unbeatable. Not only that, but they are less expensive, too.

You can scope them, if you prefer. They're tough enough for full strength loads, if you want to go that route. You can load them up or down, depending on your needs.

Blackhawks are hard to beat for durablility, strength, cost, and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    model 29 or Redhawk is the way I'd go, probably lean toward the Redhawk simply b/c I like Rugers
    I agree on the choices but I would go with the 629

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I say go Ruger on the .44 mag. They will hold up to hard use if you really end up shooting it a lot. A model 29, at least the ones from the 1970's to about 1980, (when I stopped paying attention to them) would shoot loose eventully. At that time I was shooting Metallic Silhouette Handgun matches. Some guys in my gun club that also shot the club matches ran two model 29's because they quickly found the cylinders getting sloppy on timing from all those full power loads they were shooting to take down the rams at 200 meters. They'd shoot one gun while the other was back at Smith getting rebuilt.

Unless the 629 or other version of the 29 has been beefed up on the cylinder index and lock up pawl I would pass on one if I was planning on shooting a .44 mag heavily.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley .41 Mag

BFR 30/30 top, 45/70 bottom.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

GO with the Redhawk in a 7.5" bbl and the scope scallops already milled in, assuming you really wanna scope it..

I've had my Redhawk a long time and it has served me very well.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

AK, how much recoil do you get from those BFR's?

Does BFR stand for BIG FUCKIN' REVOLVER or what?

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Dirty Harry says, "Do the right thing and get the original S&W model 29 (629) .44 Magnum."
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    AK, how much recoil do you get from those BFR's?
    The Biggest Finest Revolver recoil is minor. The 30/30 has less recoil than the .44, the 45/70 with hot loads is snappy but easy to shoot without rattling your teeth. Less than a Smith 500. Both BFR have the same eotech sight. I can hit fist size rocks at 90+ yards. On the bench both could shoot a 1" group at 50 yards. No porting to tame recoil, I have not seen where porting helps in a magnum type pistol. If you cannot handle the recoil porting is not going fix the persons ability to shoot big bore firearms.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Can't go wrong with that Redhawk especially if pig slaying is what you have in mind.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Model 29, anyone?

For getting up close and personal:

S&W Model 29 with 3 inch barrel.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I love my Ruger Super Blackhawk and in spite of a few thousand rounds of giddyup go ammo out of it the only thing I have ever had to do to it is clean it. The only gun I would think of replacing it with is the Redhawk because it is more comfortable to shoot and it is double action if that is a consideration for you.

I'm not a happy camper when it comes to Ruger centerfire rifles but I'll put a vote in for their big revolvers any time. Personally I think the only thing the porting will do for you on a 44 is make the gun louder and anything over 7 1/2" is kind of wasted and awkward to shoot. Anything between 4" and 7 1/2" should work well for you just going by my experience and my preferences. Thing is which one really makes you grin and say "I gotta have it" when you have it in your fist.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.