Thread: Abakan

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Abakan

The AN-94 employs modern manufacturing technologies including castings, steel stampings, laser welding, powder coatings and polymer construction. In other words the "Abakan" requires the most advanced production manufacturing technologies.
    Advantages
    The "Abakan" is very accurate at the 2 round burst mode. Furthermore the penetration power is increased by the second shot which hits almost the same place a the first. Ability to use underbarel grenade launcher and the bayonet-knife at the same time. Low recoil power.
    Disadvantages
    Unlike the AK-74 the AN-94 "Abakan" isn't simple at all in assembling, disassembling, and maintenance. Furthermore has lower reliability in unpleasant conditions and need accurate care. It is expensive and takes a long time to train soldiers to use the "Abakan", and is expensive compared to the AK-74. Bad ergonomics, it is uncomfortable to use. It can't be fired when the buttstock is folded

http://www.enemyforces.net/firearms/abakan.htm
    Been reading about the Abakan and keep wondering why. Also wondered where to put this thread so if I'm in the wrong house move it. Any fans of this gun out here in Gunsnet land or is it just a more complicated perversion of our own beloved and/or hated M16 family. I keep wondering why this design when it seems so awkward and complicated compared to what they had.

As much as I don't care for the M16 even I have to admit it is easy to shoot, easy to field strip and put back together. Enough goose snot on the bolt and it would keep on shooting no matter how much dirt I drug it through. Is the Abakan really an improvement that I can't see other than the Russians can carry more ammo?

Color me confused.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As I see it, the only thing that makes the AN-94 special is it's ability to fire two rounds almost instantly. After that it is just another complicated rifle.

Unfortunately, as long as we in the land of shall not be infringed have a government intent on ignoring the constitution, the AN-94 is a non-issue.

"Ability to use underbarel grenade launcher and the bayonet-knife at the same time"

I can see this as being a bit problematic.
    I know what they're saying it just reads funny
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I kept thinking f this boot camp movie I saw when I was a young lad and believed everything on screen except for the canvas monsters with tennis shoes. The drill was to stick the bayonet and if you couldn't get it out to fire a round to loosen it up. Today I'm thinking if I have a round in my gun why would I use a bayonet? Then I saw this gun and I'm thinking okay, stick the bayonet then trigger a grenade, bayonet should come loose along with most of the component parts of the shooter and the shootee.

The fast impulse recoil from the two bullets leaving practically on top of each other is cute but they made it hard and expensive to build, to maintain in the field and hard to handle and shoot. Especially if you are a south paw. That does not seem like Russian engineering to me. Their AK's, their Migs, their rockets, rugged and comparatively simple and now this? I bet if they gave it to the Germans or Swiss to re-engineer they would have a nice gun.

On the other hand the way they are rattling their sabers right now I'm just as happy that they may go broke trying to equip their units with easy to break and hard to repair equipment. They took to capitalism with all its faults just fine.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I have found the rifle interisting but, information on it very limited. Last I heard the Russians had scraped plans to requip their army with it because of the cost. I was under the impression it was basicly a dead end project at this point. Has that changed?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I have found the rifle interisting but, information on it very limited. Last I heard the Russians had scraped plans to requip their army with it because of the cost. I was under the impression it was basicly a dead end project at this point. Has that changed?
    No.

Cost, and since they have a conscription military, the majority are not intelligent enough to care for it in the field (field stripping, cleaning etc. etc.)
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Good! I am glad they scrapped it, I was hoping when that Jerk Died, they would not go throught with the Rifle. It was and is a Threat to the AK. I am sure Mikail is very happy. The front Handguard looked like Crap!