Thread: Side rail on a ban era gun?

Question Side rail on a ban era gun?

I have a ban era Maadi AKM. One of the neutered features is it lacks the side optics rail.

I've been back and forth about it but have decided to keep my rifle as "genuine AK" as possible so want to add a side rail rather than a handguard or rear sight replacement setup.

Are there any issues with adding a side rail? Any do's or don'ts? Any good suppliers or bad suppliers?
    How are they supposed to mount? Rivets?

I have a ban era Maadi AKM. One of the neutered features is it lacks the side optics rail.

We didn't really see rails until the SAR series came about.

Isn't a neutered feature at all, just some countries stick to the basics.

Goes on by rivets OR if you're skilled plug welds.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The big issue with installing a side rail on a Maadi is whether you want to destroy it's value or not. Although it is your rifle and you have the right to do anything to it you want, as a collector I would never think about buying a Maadi or other collectible rifle that has been altered in a way that it can't be returned to original because of the modification.

Also, as stated by Helen Keller above, we really didn't have side rails on AK variants until the Romanian imports although there was a Chinese pre-Bush-ban Legend National Match that had a factory "rail" and the Galils had designed in mounts.

If I was to add a side rail to an AKM variant, my first choice would be to rivet it to give it a factory appearance, but they can be held in by screws and a drop of loctite.

As for suppliers, I personally have never purchased anything related to adding a mount to an AK/AKM but I would suggest checking Scout Scopes, Apex or possibly one of our other site sponsors.

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

As far as the Maadi goes it's mine for life. No intention of ever selling it and it's been shot plenty and modified some. Tapco G2 trigger and a bit else. Getting a gas block with the correct bayonet lug and a front sight block that isn't canted soon along with a slant brake. Maybe a Mojo rear sight and hoping to do some kind of side folder.

Dad paid $250 for it in 1995 and I've shot the hell out of it since. I'm no collector, more of a user.

Seems Gunsnet isn't sending me notifications of replies...interesting. Sorry for the delay.
    Maadi ban era AKM. De-neutering it.