Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a gun safe!!!!!

Smile I got a gun safe!!!!!

My wife and FIL bought me a gun safe for Christmas.

It's nothing big or fancy, but it sure is better than nothing. My neighbor and I got it off my truck bed and into my basement safe and sound.

Now for a couple of questions.

What do I use to keep moisture out so nothing will rust?

Since it is currently bolted to a pallet, should I remove it?

Is it ok for it to be sitting on the concrete floor, or should I try and get something under it?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

1. Golden rod or other mild heating unit built for safes. I have a floor standing dehumidifier in an air conditioned room where mine are and it gets a gallon of water a day out of the air.

2. CAFEFULLY! pick up one side at a time and remove it from the pallet.

3. Not only set it on the concrete, BOLT IT DOWN. Borrow or rent or buy a hammer drill get the right size concrete drop in bolts and bolt it down. It should have come with a drill templet. Use epoxie glue on the bolts; it comes in drop in glass viles for that purpose.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    1. Golden rod or other mild heating unit built for safes. I have a floor standing dehumidifier in an air conditioned room where mine are and it gets a gallon of water a day out of the air.

2. CAFEFULLY! pick up one side at a time and remove it from the pallet.

3. Not only set it on the concrete, BOLT IT DOWN. Borrow or rent or buy a hammer drill get the right size concrete drop in bolts and bolt it down. It should have come with a drill templet. Use epoxie glue on the bolts; it comes in drop in glass viles for that purpose.
    Perfect advise here, can't add much to this.

Where is a good place to buy the heating units ?

I assume they are battery powered?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Mine is plug in, there should be a hole in the back or a way to put power to the inside.

About the only thing I would ask is there any chance your basement floods? If so you might want to build a base to get it off the floor some (simple mold and concrete).

I have 2 12" dri-rods in mine. I got alot of IN-the-white shit so I try to keep it warm/dry inside.

Hammer drills start at $50 . Once you get one you'll wonder how you ever got by.

IF you don't Lag screw/bolt Get the super long Tap-Con fasteners.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I left mine on the pallet for 2 reasons;

I was worried about the safe rusting if it were sitting directly on concrete.
    If my basement floods, I have about 6 inches before the water enters my safe.

Bolting it to the floor is the most secure method to prevent theft. Considering it took 4 of us 20 minutes to get it down my basement steps though, I doubt a thief is going to spend the time to get it out. It would be much easier to grab my angle grinder on the other side of the room and simply open up the side of the safe.

I missed the basement aspect. Houses with basements are rare where I'm from.

Usually there is a threaded hole & bolt in the top (most safes) where you can run a power cord for a dehumidifier. If you want to bolt the safe down, you can still put two
    1"x4" pieces of lumber under it to keep it from direct contact with the floor.
    I had my safe sitting directly on the concrete for years. When I upgraded and moved the old safe out, the bottom had quite a bit of surface rust. No big deal, I buffed it and repainted with Rust-o-leum.
    Bolting down is a good idea, if for no other reason than this... when empty and the door is open, the safe will tip over a bit if it is a heavy duty safe. Not a big deal normally because the safe is loaded but occasionally you might unload it for one reason or another.
    Those battery operated 'Stick up' lights are a good idea too, they work good in a Harley Tourpak also.
    Last edited by Texas Soldado; 12-05-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Smile

Thanks guys.

No Efflorescence here in MI, but I do need a dehumidifier for the basement.

I do not have to worry about flooding (my house is on top of a hill and right at the edge) If my basement floods...we all better be looking for an old man in a VERY large boat.

My basement is also heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.

One of my biggest concerns is that we have a walk out basement, but there is no way anyone could get a vehicle down there from our property....they would have to go through a neighbors property.

Congrats on the safe. Try something like this, I have something like this in my safe and have never had an issue.

http://www.browning-gun-safe.com/dehumidifier1.html
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Congrats on the safe. Try something like this, I have something like this in my safe and have never had an issue.

http://www.browning-gun-safe.com/dehumidifier1.html
    I have three of those I never got installed. Most gun safes come with a hole that you run the wire through and attach it to the heater. Basically they just heat the air in the safe so no condensation forms.

We opted to put in a floor standing room dehumidifier in that actually removes water from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Thanks guys.

No Efflorescence here in MI, but I do need a dehumidifier for the basement.

I do not have to worry about flooding (my house is on top of a hill and right at the edge) If my basement floods...we all better be looking for an old man in a VERY large boat.

My basement is also heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.

One of my biggest concerns is that we have a walk out basement, but there is no way anyone could get a vehicle down there from our property....they would have to go through a neighbors property.
    If you have a water softener/conditioner you can have efflorescence.

Partisan1983,
    If you want to add more protection in addition to a heater, I have a 450 gram container of silica gel I used in my safe before getting a golden rod.
    It protects 33 cubic feet of space and can be reactivated by putting the bag in an oven @ 240* for 3 hours when the indicator turns pink.

It's yours if you want to pay shipping.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Partisan1983,
    If you want to add more protection in addition to a heater, I have a 450 gram container of silica gel I used in my safe before getting a golden rod.
    It protects 33 cubic feet of space and can be reactivated by putting the bag in an oven @ 240* for 3 hours when the indicator turns pink.

You can do almost the same with a burlap bag of rice. I will not hold quite as much moster and has to be bake out more often.

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Partisan1983,

Thank You so much Slamfire.

I would take you up on that but my FIL stopped by this morning (afternoon technically) and dropped one off for me (that's what he uses in his safe).

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I have three of those I never got installed. Most gun safes come with a hole that you run the wire through and attach it to the heater. Basically they just heat the air in the safe so no condensation forms.

We opted to put in a floor standing room dehumidifier in that actually removes water from the air.
    Can i have them? I will pay shipping!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Thank You so much Slamfire.

I would take you up on that but my FIL stopped by this morning (afternoon technically) and dropped one off for me (that's what he uses in his safe).
    Good to have nice in-laws. LOL

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I'm envious. Good luck with your safe, and may it always be full.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Can i have them? I will pay shipping!!
    Are you asking me?
    If so, yeah.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast