Thread: Anybody know anything about this 1911?

Question Anybody know anything about this 1911?

It's for sale at an auction this weekend and my FIL wants to go check it out.

Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well it says Gold Cup and those are Colt Factory target grade 1911's. More accuracy, maybe less reliability of function or likely to be picky on what it likes to eat.

In the 80's the gold cup was the 1911 to have...

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

If I read the serial number correctly this NM Gold Cup was made in 1969, 25450NM-32250NM.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

i had a gold cup commander for a few years. PICKY about ammo. only would feed it if the OAL was really short. always went bang when you pulled the trigger.

a full size GC like that will probably bring 1500$ or more.

SW

Smile

Cool. You guys are awesome!

Thank you 'Gents.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    If I read the serial number correctly this NM Gold Cup was made in 1969, 25450NM-32250NM.

Steve
    IMO a series 70 Gold Cup would be better than an 80's series Gold Cup. That is if the 80's Gold Cups are like the standard series 80 1911's that have the firing pin bolck linkage. That linkage makes the trigger really gummy and uncrisp in release when compared to a Series 70 1911. I've had both standard type 1911's from Colt, but never could justify the price of a Gold cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well it says Gold Cup and those are Colt Factory target grade 1911's. More accuracy, maybe less reliability of function or likely to be picky on what it likes to eat.
    Colt quality has been very variable in the last 30 years. I've personally checked at least half a dozen Colt Gold Cup sold at premium prices which suffered of serious mechanical defects, detrimental both to reliability and accuracy.
    Unless you know exactly what to check and how, I'd rather buy a Springfield. Never had a problem with those, and they are pretty accurate (at a fraction of the price).
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

In war you play to win 100-0, not 51-49!

"Those who have forged their swords into ploughs, will plough for those who haven't."