Thread: Anybody know anything about this SAA ??

Question Anybody know anything about this SAA ??

It's at the same auction as the 1911 I asked about.

Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well the ones they make now are only from the Colt custom shop and sell for thousands of dollars. That one is just a plain run of the mill no frills model. I can't tell if it's antique or something from the 20th century. I don't see any serial numbers. That said if it's a later gun 1950 forward it could still be worth well over $1,000. Colt Peace Makers are crazy valuable given collectors and what they'll pay for one.

You have provided no information on this gun. About all I can tell is that it looks like a Colt single action. Before any valid opinion on it can be made we would need the following info:

What is the serial # (when was it made)?
    What caliber is it?
    Is it the original caliber?
    Is the barrel length original?
    What is the finish?
    Has it been refinished?
    If the finish is original what % is left?

Single action Colts are such a specialized field of collecting that all the above factors can, and will, affect the value by several hundred (or thousand) dollars. Original, unrefinished, unmolested guns are always worth more money. As the Bubba work increases the value drastically decreases.

For instance, in a local shop is a 1901 vintage Colt. Sometime in the 1950's it was sent back to the factory and was changed from a .38-40 to a .38 special (barrel and cylinder) and refinished. Instead of a $2500-3500 gun, he has it marked at $999 and it has sat there for months. Why? Because no one really wants to spend a grand on a Colt that has been so heavily reworked.

Smile

Thanks guys.

As long as this Sunday isn't mandatory, I am gonna go with my FIL. The auction house gives no description on things just a bunch of random pictures of some of the things that will be sold.

The SAA peaked my interest. But I don't know shit about 'em....I may just play it safe and pick up a Uberti one day.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I think that's a .22 Colt Scout type revolver.

These were made from the late 1950's to the early 1970's with aluminum (early) or Zamac cast zinc frames.
    Starting in the 1970's they were made with color case hardened steel receivers.
    Value depends on the actual condition and which version it is.