Thread: Is MSAR still making STG-556's?

Question Is MSAR still making STG-556's?

I while back I was thinking about getting an AUG, specifically I was looking at one at a local gun store made by MSAR their STG-556. I liked it except for the short barrel. I had a million questions at the time and, about the time I had done my home work they dropped the price and, it got sold.

Any ways I have been looking around to see if I couldn’t find an STG-556 with a 20 inch barrel in the OD stock with the optic built on. I can’t seem to find one. It looks to me like MSAR isn’t making their copy of the AUG any more. Does any know if that is indeed the case or what is going on? As near as I can tell the ones Styer sells come in black with a rail and no optic and, with 16 inch barrels. Does no one make them with 20 inch barrels?

Something tells me I am out of luck on my search for what I want.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Your post got me interested to take a look on the web. Microtech still makes knives but there is zero mention of the Aug on their web site. I don't know if they sold the rifle product line to a rifle maker or just stopped making it for lack of orders or profit making.

If it is gone, kind of sad to hear it is. Though I was not a fan of it. I've handled them and didn't get all warm and fuzzy from how it handled. I'd rather have a 16" AR15 on the whole.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The last time I looked into these on the bullpup forums, it seemed like the company was sold to an individual who chose to purposely sell a large number of rifles which were known not to function.

Before all that I was really wanting a STG-E4 (AR mag version).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

The research I did indicated that production has been suspended indefinitely due to low sales. Microtech exec said production would resume at a time to be determined in the future.

I have fired a Microtech E4 which functioned perfectly. In Afghanistan I worked with the Kiwis (NZ) who had Steyr AUG's. We swapped weapons for a day and I really like the AUG design. Although the E4 uses AR mags which are plentiful and cheap. Magazine changes seem to be easier with the original style mags that rock & lock in like an AK or Mini 14.
    Last edited by Texas Soldado; 01-20-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: add comment
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Thanks so mcuh for hte information. What kind of retical did the NZ augs have? Or did they have a rail for mounting what ever optic they wanted on their. Do they call theirs the F88 like the Australians?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..