Thread: Mini-14 against the world

Mini-14 against the world

I stumbled upon these videos when I was shopping for a new Small light carbine. It is an interesting (if unscientific) comparison.

And these here...

I know that Nuttin' rubs some people the wrong way, I like him... at least he actually takes shit out and tests it, and if it fails... he comes right out and says it. Some of his info is a little outdated on the gun, for instance the 20 and 30 round mags are very easy t find, and Tapco is releasing a GenII mag that is supposed to be awesome, lighter, and a lot cheaper.

Gotta say, so far I really like my "580" Series Mini, I recently bought a Ghille Green Hogue stock for mine after hefting a friends NRA Mini-14. I think it weighs about 7 Lbs. unloaded WITH the Ultimak Rail (about a pound and a half lighter then the old ATI Tactical Stock). It seems accurate so far, but the reliability is really amazing with ALL types of ammo, light, handy, clean shooting and SUPREMELY easy to maintain.
    Last edited by gpwasr10; 12-21-2011 at 01:04 AM.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

I like nutin's vids and have seen most of them, he does have good points and seems like he is really trying to help people get informed about a lot of issues and products. If you like his vids try out Mrlockandload, if you haven't already. I believe he and his crew are Marine vets. They do a series of high speed training vids for small wolf pack groups.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    I like nutin's vids and have seen most of them, he does have good points and seems like he is really trying to help people get informed about a lot of issues and products. If you like his vids try out Mrlockandload, if you haven't already. I believe he and his crew are Marine vets. They do a series of high speed training vids for small wolf pack groups.
    I'll definatly check those out tonight! Thanks man!
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

I just watched these a week or so ago. He's almost convinced me to give the Mini a second chance.

He recently did an update video on the updated Tapco mags, and said they were much improved. The only real problem found was that they don’t seem to like steel case ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJCd...ature=g-user-u

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I just watched these a week or so ago. He's almost convinced me to give the Mini a second chance.
    I did, and I'm happy with mine. And they're a lot cheaper then a Piston AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    He recently did an update video on the updated Tapco mags, and said they were much improved. The only real problem found was that they don’t seem to like steel case ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJCd...ature=g-user-u
    It could just be that they need breaking in, I'll buy some as soon as they come out (Hoffman's is no longer carrying the Ruger Mags for $20 :-( ) blow a shitload of Wolf, Tula and Brown Bear down the pipe and do a review.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nutnfancy rocks!

The TNP adventures are really cool if your into that sort of thing. I'm fascinated, living on the coastal plain in coastal SC, by traversing a variety of terrain. I'm only accustomed to beach, marsh, and thick woods on flat ground.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I subscribe to the TNP on You Tube...for entertainment value. I think he is a HUGE wannabe commando douche bag.

My problem with the mini (besides so-so QC and accuracy) still centers around the cost of good mags. With Ruger mags being the only mags I'd trust a cheap $400 rifle and 10 mags still will cost me $750 or so, for that I can have (build) a new AR and 20 really good USGI mags. Heck my lightly used SIG 556 with Sig sights and 10 C products mags only set me back $875...

Maybe once it's found out some cheap aftermarket mags works in the $10 range I'll give one a try (I've been hearing good things about the Tapco mags).

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    My problem with the mini (besides so-so QC and accuracy) still centers around the cost of good mags. With Ruger mags being the only mags I'd trust a cheap $400 rifle and 10 mags still will cost me $750 or so, for that I can have (build) a new AR and 20 really good USGI mags. Heck my lightly used SIG 556 with Sig sights and 10 C products mags only set me back $875...

Maybe once it's found out some cheap aftermarket mags works in the $10 range I'll give one a try (I've been hearing good things about the Tapco mags).
    exactly! Tapco is supposed to start shipping Gen II Mini 14 mags any day now. Supposedly they're going to be as good as the steel Rugers, but much less in price due to polymer construction

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post

I'll admit the mags are on the high side, BUT they are steel mags and are alot more heavy duty then Aluminum AR mags. I can see them lasting me a lifetime. I am really looking forward to those Gen II Tapco Mags though, I wonder if they will affect the price of the Ruger Mags?

As far as build quality, I'll put my Mini against about any military style sporter. The fit and finish seem great for this style of gun in this price range. For accuracy, I STILL need to take it out and shoot for groups (Maybe with my buddies Lead Sled) and see what she does. Everything I have seen from End users with 580+ Series guns say around 2 moa or less. Shooting mine at random crap out in the Pawnee with cheap ass Tula yielded promising results. I’ll tell ya this, I put about 150 or so rounds of Tula through it before I even opened her up for a full cleaning and you wouldn’t have though I had more then 25 or so down the pipe, especially in the Bolt face/Chamber area. The second I get an actual group shot with decent ammo I will post it here right away.

But so far, for a very lightweight, non-finicky, Made in the USA, handy and easy to maintain SHTF type gun… This “580 series” Mini seems damn promising.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton