Thread: What should I do with this Mosin?

What should I do with this Mosin?

I got this thing out of a crate for around a hundred. I get it home and get the cosmoline off, and it is a bit worse than I thought. I was thinking some 000 steel wool and gun oil, but after that? I need to protect it or the rust will come back. Also, is there a way to get rid of the pitting?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The stock does not seem too bad, it should be refinished, but some areas of the wood can be picked away with my nail.

The bolt and receiver seem fine, but I did strip a small screw on the side of the receiver. The wood is only like that near the area for the metal butt, and a little bit at the end of the cleaning rod channel near the muzzle end. I’ve been sitting here looking at it, and with a little care, I think it would be alright.

whats the inside of the bore look like?

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Rusted, and pitted, take it back!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Take a brush to it and scub out the pits, then once clean I would put a dab of paint to seal it and keep the rust out. I take it this is under the wood (handguard?) it's really not a big deal and common on the refurbs.

It is a little late to take it back. With it apart I held it up to the light, and it looked alright. It was just dirty, and the rust in picture will be covered in the end I believe.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Use an old penny, you want one that is mostly copper not zinc and use the edge to scrap off the rust. Once you have it cleaned off apply some Oxpho Blue from Brownells, I prefer the paste variety. After that just lightly oil like any other firearm.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Take a brush to it and scub out the pits, then once clean I would put a dab of paint to seal it and keep the rust out. I take it this is under the wood (handguard?) it's really not a big deal and common on the refurbs.
    +1 on that. Fairly common to find rust under the wood.