Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please, talk to me about Arsenal AK's

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    Do you own one? What do you think of it? Accuracy, Reliability? What model? Since the prices have crept up quite a bit I am thinking about trading my Yugo M-70 (Century build) for one...
    I have 3. SAM7 SF (milled special forces metal folding stock), SAM7 A1R (milled fixed stock), and SLR 107-FR (stamped side fold). All are very accurate, never had a single malfunction of any kind, and they feel extremely solid. The milled don't even rattle when you shake them. Finish is top quality inside and out. If you want milled, better move fast!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What is your current defensive carbine of choice?

Here it is. My substitute for an AK-100 series.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Here it is. My substitute for an AK-100 series.

That used to be my exact SHTF set up. A CZ-75B and a Romy AKM, a hard to beat combo.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

That used to be my exact SHTF set up. A CZ-75B and a Romy AKM, a hard to beat combo.
    I've got other possible combos, this is just what I chose to leave home with.

My other rifles aren't as modern, though.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I've had 3 Arsenal rifles in the last 5 yrs. One was a SLR-95, the next was a SAM7, and the other was a SAM7 carbine. All 3 were great rifles, but something happened on the way to Arsenals MIM internal parts. They sucked. I had the hammer in the carbine practically shatter in less than 500 rds. Why it didn't come completely apart inside the gun is beyond me. They've since fixed what was ailing their MIM parts and I haven't heard much in the way of problems since.

That said, Arsenal is one of the better buys out there for what they're peddling. Depending on which way you're going, milled vs stamped, either way they're good stuff. Sounds to me like you've already got your mind made up, so go ahead and pull the trigger on the purchase already! (Gratuitous gun pun intended!) My recommendation would be to keep the M70, that Arsenal's going to need company at the range.

Just make sure you drop a few pics of the new shooter and let us know how she does at the range.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    Let me guess, you saw what shipping would cost for just one magazine? It costs $12.95 to ship up to 8 magazines, bringing the unit cost with shipping to about $13.56. And $14.04 to ship 12 magazines, bringing the unit cost with shipping to about $13.15.
    ya because you need 8-12 magazines right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    I believe so and so does most of the membership here. I can't imagine a worse place to denigrate the stockpiling of weapons and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    A few points.

First, your original statement was misleading when you said, "$22.93 shipped per magazine to my area." That is clearly not the case, as anyone knows who's ever ordered small things online that the shipping gets cheaper per unit as the total number ordered increases.

Second, just how many magazines do you have for your AK? You'll find that most people on this board have atleast 6 -12 magazines per modern military style semi-auto rifle. The more magazines one has, the less they need to reload when at the range. Also magazines wear out or get damaged.

Third, as with all surplus, those magazines are not going to be around forever. Especially at those prices. If they wear out or get damaged, finding replacements in the future may be difficult and/or expensive.

Do I need 8-12 mags... HELL NO! I NEED 100, I only have 15 for the AK.

Anyways, I did the dirty deed and she's on order now. The Yugo was a great, reliable, fun and accurate rifle no doubt, but it was time for something a little lighter.

I got the SGL-21 Tactical with the Warsaw stock, cause I got big shoulders and short arms.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Keep the M70 if you can afford to, and get the Arsenal. Arsenal is 1st quality IMO. Russian receivers used in a quality build...nuff said.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Nice!

Now you just need a Kobra or Vortex or something.

Do I need 8-12 mags... HELL NO! I NEED 100, I only have 15 for the AK.

Anyways, I did the dirty deed and she's on order now. The Yugo was a great, reliable, fun and accurate rifle no doubt, but it was time for something a little lighter.

I got the SGL-21 Tactical with the Warsaw stock, cause I got big shoulders and short arms.
    Congrats! Looking forward to a range report in the near future.

I could have afforded both easly, it's just that I am trying to downsize the arsenal a little while adding quality arms. I liked the yugo, and had it been a Mitchel import I would have sat on it for the investement. It was a great gun, it was just time to trade up.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Sorry it took so long to respond. Rifle was 1100 initially, then had to do SBR paperwork, get barrel cut, triangle stock, brake, Ironwood made that stock for me and then guy on here refinished in Russian red. So, around 1600 total.
    Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Quote Originally Posted by F-16 CHIEF View Post
    Sorry it took so long to respond. Rifle was 1100 initially, then had to do SBR paperwork, get barrel cut, triangle stock, brake, Ironwood made that stock for me and then guy on here refinished in Russian red. So, around 1600 total.
    And worth ever damn penny I'd say. I'd love to have one of my own.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

It was my dream rifle, so I'm happy. Some folks want a ACR, M1, etc...

I saw a Krink for the first time and new that was the one.
    Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Quote Originally Posted by F-16 CHIEF View Post
    It was my dream rifle, so I'm happy. Some folks want a ACR, M1, etc...

I saw a Krink for the first time and new that was the one.
    I may need one as well.. if for nothing else to shoot the loads of cheap 5.45 out there... Yours is perfection.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123