Thread: What's Next?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

What's Next?

So, in the evolution of projectile weapons, we start with rocks being thrown, move to slings, then spears, bows and arrows, black powder weapons starting with matchlocks, then flintlocks, and then caplocks, then going to breech loaders, then magazine and revolver type weapons holding more than one round, smokeless powder, semi-auto weapons adn then full auto weapons. What is the next step in projectile weapons. More specifically, what is the next step in personnal projectile weapons. For instance we have been using gun powder for about 800 years. What is next?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

scaled down rail guns.

energy weapons.

IMHO, next step would follow suit from the airsoft shit.

IE: gas powered , caseless ammo launched at incredible speeds.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Small hand held rail gun shooting a highly ionized needle at 8000 fps. It vaporizes on contact with the target incinerating the target in a light bright blue light. Only a slight residue of light ash is left which drifts away on the air currents leaving no forensic evidence behind. Not to practical for hunting.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    scaled down rail guns.

energy weapons.

IMHO, next step would follow suit from the airsoft shit.

IE: gas powered , caseless ammo launched at incredible speeds.
    I thought about kinetic energy weapons, but I don't think they would be practicle for hunting. I am also not sure they would be practicle for self defense.

As for the gas powered, we have had air guns for the last 50+ years. They seem to have topped out for performance. Not saying they could not be improved, there just doesn't seem to have been much movement.

I was wondering about some kind of self-propelled ammo. This could lesson (or remove) recoil from the weapon, but I am not sure who this would work and I have not heard or read anything about something like this.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    a pickled egg fart gas gun?
    Silly wabbit, that one has been around since the first wine turned to vinegar and somebody used it to preserve eggs and other foods. Close quarters weapon only, limited range and usually not fatal but nearly always effective.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

As for the next step in weapons design, I would go with the sonic type weapon. Military and police forces are already using/testing large scale "weapons" of this sort. The next logical step would be to make them smaller so an individual soldier, or LEO, could use these in a more directed, and personal, manner. Mainly, they would be used to stun and render unconscious, the target with little,or no after effects; great for nabbing a suspect, or enemy, unharmed. And, if hostiages are involved, there would be no lasting effects on "innocents."

Some sonic weapons could, probably, be made lethal by changing the frequency, or power settings on the weapon, too.

Plasma, energy, or laser type weapons are a little farther off in the future because the technology to make them smaller isn't here yet, whereas sonic weapons technology is a little farther along in development.

Sonic weapons would probably be more affected by environmental factors than the others and would be limited to indoor, or up-close, confrontations.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
    DAMN! Beat me to it!
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Probably the flechettes.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Probably the flechettes.
    Not sure I agree this is the next step, but OUCH!!!

http://www.antipersonnel.net/sdllc/007.html

NRA Endowment Member

Electronically powered case less ammo. Heat or energy weapon. Liquid chemical propel lent. Maybe some guns like in the movie Eraser. Or some star wars type laser blaster.