Thread: Reserved a Liberty Kodiak .22 suppressor.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Reserved a Liberty Kodiak .22 suppressor.

Called my dealer yesterday to ask about a couple of .22 cans (with the work I'm going to be doing to the Ruger 22/45 and the 22 AR upper I'm going to assemble, I decided I need a dedicated .22 can and the Poseidon will be going back on a 9mm).

I've read good things about Liberty's suppressors, so I asked the dealer about the Kodiak, Kodiak TL, and the Essence. He said he had two Kodiaks coming in, so I put my money down on one of them. For ease of cleaning, I don't mind the three more ounces for the stainless Kodiak over the titanium Kodiak TL, especially since this will be spending half of its time on a .22 AR.

Will be doing the paperwork when I get back from Afghanistan.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    For ease of cleaning, I don't mind the three more ounces
    I have a YHM 10/22 on its way in now. I have heard it both ways on suppressors: some say they work best dirty and never to clean, others say user-serviceable is a must
    with dirty ammo like .22. The paperwork takes 6months, so I am 4 ahead of you. Will let you know if I can tell a difference (no pun). Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamseller View Post
    I have a YHM 10/22 on its way in now. I have heard it both ways on suppressors: some say they work best dirty and never to clean, others say user-serviceable is a must
    with dirty ammo like .22. The paperwork takes 6months, so I am 4 ahead of you. Will let you know if I can tell a difference (no pun). Stay safe.
    A little dirty helps, up to a point. If there's a light coating of carbon, it aids the internals in disrupting airflow (think airflow over a smooth surface vs. airflow over a rough surface). Excessive buildup will do two counterproductive things though. First, it decreases the suppressor's internal volume which reduces efficiency. Second, it can disrupt the suppressor's planned airflow pattern also reducing efficiency.

For centerfire suppressors, most of your buildup will be carbon which is fairly easy to clean out (unless you shoot lead bullets).

The big problem is with .22 suppressors. Lead buildup is way worse than carbon. I have seen pictures of cans where lead buildup has filled a significant portion of the can's volume. If your suppressor has 20% less internal volume, there is no way it is as quiet as it was when it was new. It makes your suppressor measurably heavier too. Lead is harder to clean than carbon buildup, especially if parts of your suppressor are aluminum (most common gun cleaning solvents break up carbon without damaging aluminum; solvents that dissolve lead absolutely destroy aluminum). Finally, if your suppressor has aluminum parts, you can end up permanently sealing a suppressor that is intended to be taken apart. An excessive amount of lead buildup in a suppressor can form a lead/aluminum weld that is almost impossible to break without destroying the suppressor.

I'm in the "cleaning is necessary" camp.
    Last edited by nfa1934; 12-27-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

Almost forgot, welcome to the club! You're going to love shooting suppressed. It's addictive though, the two cans I have reserved at my dealer are going to be number six and seven.

Wow! Thanks for the info. That is the best explanation I have seen. Sounds like I will be joining you over at the clean camp. Hard for me to get too addicted to cans b/c
    I run mainly piston systems (AUG A3, M14, AKs) and I know sound is lost thru the piston assembly. Seriously contemplating AR build of 300 whisper on an SBR with a can. May not be able to afford the ammo when I'm done though! Thanks for having me here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamseller View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the info. That is the best explanation I have seen. Sounds like I will be joining you over at the clean camp. Hard for me to get too addicted to cans b/c
    I run mainly piston systems (AUG A3, M14, AKs) and I know sound is lost thru the piston assembly. Seriously contemplating AR build of 300 whisper on an SBR with a can. May not be able to afford the ammo when I'm done though! Thanks for having me here.
    I'm assembling an upper in .300 Blackout for an SBR when I get home. I would suggest Blackout over Whisper (Hornady certifies that their Whisper ammunition is compatible with Blackout). The .300 Blackout is compatible with 5.56 magazines (no loss in capacity) and the 5.56 bolt. The only change is the barrel. It will also cycle an AR action with subsonic ammunition.

Nice!
    I just ordered a TAC65 last week!!!
    AKA "Rampantscot"

Quote Originally Posted by jjeez View Post
    Nice!
    I just ordered a TAC65 last week!!!
    If this is your entry into suppressors, be careful. In a couple of years you'll have five more and you will be ordering threaded barrels for everything you own.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

I just sent my EVO-9 off to SRI for a jailbreak.
    I might want to shoot .22 through it more often then.
    I can already clean my Operative B and YHM Mite, so
    that just leaves my Gemtech Oasis for jailbreaking sometime.
    видеодон