Thread: AA392 Help

AA392 Help

Greetings AK People. Five years ago I purchased my dream rifle, or close to it. I wanted an IMI 372, preferably a safe queen with some rounds through it. I ended up purchasing an AA 392 that had lots a cool stuff to make the package very desirable. Lots of mags, scope mount, recharged night sights, IMI cleaning kit, ect. The rifle was in like new condition with a few hundred rounds through it. I found I really liked the compactness and balance that the 16" tube gave over the 18" 372. It made me forget not having a bayo. lug and not quite resembling standard Israeli issue. Also the fit and finish was awesome, I've handled a few 372's over the years and machine work resembled late wartime production, rough.
    My dilemma: I have the chance to easily move this rifle to a gentleman in upper NY state, cool because it's a pre 89. From pictures he pointed out that there's an "S" stamped behind the 392 model making him believe it's a converted thumbhole post 1989 rifle. It's serial number range is 209XXXX and from one web page I visited it appears that this is in fact a post 1989 rifle that has all the evil features.
    My question: Did some rifles make it through during this time with the evilness intact? Is this a post ban rifle that has been converted? Everything appears to be IMI and is installed perfectly: folding stock, IMI Galil flash suppressor, ARM bi-pod.
    If this is a post 89 rifle the New York gentleman cannot buy it and it isn't as valuable as I thought it was. The good part is if it's not worth as much I will be more likely to keep, cherish, and love it, otherwise shoot the socks off it. Any help and suggestions with this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

AA 392 - 5.56mm ARM, 16" bbl., 1-12" twist, no bayonet lug, Galil style flash suppressor. Serial #s in AAL207910x to AAL207947x range. (3 rifles reported)

AA 392S - 5.56mm "ARM Sporter", 16" bbl., 1-7" twist, wood handguard,carry handle, no bayonet lug, no bipod, but has bipod attachment pt., no night sights, threaded muzzle. (1 rifle reported)

Taken from here; http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil/Galil_Rifles.html Scroll halfway down the page there is an image. I won't post it here. Looks like it has a monopod that folds under the handguard. Is that correct?

IMO it looks to me that it could be legit as there is a photo of the markings and there is no S with the 392.

I'm a huge Galil fan, but this one is beyond me.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

According to the website, if it has a 'S' after the 392 it's post ban. Although it sounds as though the pre ban features have been added to your rifle.

Forum Administrator

Heres the scoop.....The 392s Imported by Action Arms in Philly were rifles that do not have the bayonet lug only everything else was there, these were "in" transition units. The 392S that were imported after the ban are wood stocks, no bi-pod, no night sites.

If yours is an Action Arms it'll have everything but no bayonet lug, since these are the short squad version of the Galil similar to the SAR you wouldn't have the bayonet lug anyhow. Your box would say Galil Sporter......they full change was on the Magnum Research Units....what you have is the IMI 392s Preban since it met the first trasition of no evil bayonet lug.

I appreciate the opinions and comments. The S on this rifle is stamped and a different font than the rest of the lettering. I've decided to keep and love it, it's an exceptional specimen and the apex of western Kalashnikov evolution.

Here's the REAL scoop....There were some late AA Galils that were sold by AA with the thumbhole stock. Post AA, they were sold by Springfield Armory, with the thumbhole stock. SAI offered at that time an "accurizing package" that included new (real) furniture, and night sights and a scope mount. A lot of the post import Galils sport this "accurizing package". The SAI rifles have the Action Arms milled out and are restamped with the SAI info. All of them are good to go, as they were MADE to have the real funiture, and modified for import with the thumbhole. (unlike weird thumbhole receivers and current Saigas and the like.)

Buy/sell with confidence, they are nice rifles. I would place no more or less value on them personally.

PS, if you need an owners manual for that rifle I probably have a few laying around somewhere....PM me
    Last edited by Rainman; 02-14-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: PS
    God Bless America and Type III AKs