Thread: Mitchell Arms M-90 Yugo questions

Question Mitchell Arms M-90 Yugo questions

Been a while since I have been here, But I have a question on a Yugo M-90 I saw today for sale that I want to pick up.

Imported by Mitchell arms marked M-90 stamped receiver, 7.62x39, But it has a plastic (yes plastic) thumbhole stock that looks like a blond laminate wood. It has a 20in finned barrel, detent for muzzle nut won't move but nut moves a little. has a removable bi-pod and 1 mag. Darn thing is heavy!

I'm not up on my yugo's because you never see the originals.

Now the questions

1. Has anybody seen this variant of the M-90, I found a couple pictures on the web but not many.

2. Looking close at it to convert it over to a regular stock the rear trunnion might have to be changed and and I am not sure about the nut for the pistol grip because I don't know if the permanently attached nut is at the right angle. Has anybody done this conversion and is there a trunnion that might work if it needs to be changed because the 2 rivets for the trunnion are vertical not horizontal or angled like on most of the AK's I have seen.

3. What do you think it's worth. Blue book says it was imported 1991-1992 only

4. Anybody know where to get a good US made yugo buttstock and pistol grip that looks like the original teak wood (or whatever they used)

I remember those.

The last one I saw for sale here in MI was at a fun show about 4 years ago or so and the guy was asking $700 if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Partisan1983; 12-27-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Had to break out the credit card today and picked it up, drum was not included.

Damn that stock is UGLY!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

What did you get her for?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

They were boxed with the original stock. One of the best AK varients made. If you can't get the original stock I'd go Ironwood... IMO anything much under a grand you did really good.

after tax was 850 a little pricey for me at the time, but with only 560 imported I think it was a steal to have an orginal. Not to mention I doubt it has had more then a few boxes of shells thru it. She is CLEAN, almost like new.

Working on a stock set hope to have her looking like she should soon.
    Last edited by Brkdnc; 01-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

850? You stole that! That is a rare Yugo RPK.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Nice Gun!!!!
    Is it just an M72 kit that Mitchell labels as an M90??
    Last edited by jeepin; 02-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeepin View Post
    Nice Gun!!!!
    Is it just an M72 kit that Mitchell labels as an M90??
    No, it is a factory rifle from the 1980s. Built completely at Zavasta...

BRKDNC, is that a YUGO drum? If so you have the rarest of the AK drums! I've been looking for one of those for 10 years. Never mind I looked again and it is Chinese pattern.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 02-11-2012 at 12:08 PM.